Kamen Rider 2015-2016 New/Rumours Thread : Kamen Rider Ghost

but it could work really heck movie and tv industries from all over the world use this and this type of audition process helps chose the brilliant actor peter capaldi to play as the twelfth doctor.
Err...there WASN'T an audition process for the 12th Doctor. Capaldi was the only person they asked.
I say it before and i will say it again we really should try something different for once instead of this type of "selection" used by talents agencies or fashion magazine contest like JUNON for example to find an actor to portray as the rider we should try old fashioned audition for once like selecting nobodies who once acted in shows or commercials or people who were once extras or maybe have stuntmen who have the appropriate age maybe 28 but can also act which means we really need people who are not part of a talent agency or are not associated with the JUNON magazine thing
I think you're getting a bit mixed up about the process.

Toei DO have open auditions. They see hundreds of people. They even let people audition for multiple roles on the same show. People come back year after year to audition to be on the show. The catch is that Toei usually offer really low wages (the secret to keeping these toku shows going is to be able to make them as cheaply as possible). In exchange they market the roles as a learning opportunity for new actors with little/no experience of the industry.

What the mentions of a "talent show" refer to is where management companies hold a contest where the prize is a contract with them. The winner signs with them and then the company's job is to try and find them work in the industry. In Japan they expect young stars to have a go at anything, be it singing and dancing, modelling, or acting. Just because one of their clients came from a competition doesn't mean they are treated any differently; they're trying to keep them in constant work.

So you have management companies trying to find work for their clients. They hear that Toei are auditioning for a show and have roles for inexperienced young actors. So they make damn well sure anyone on their roster who doesn't currently have work, regardless of how they became clients, goes down to those auditions.

And that's how we get our Kamen Riders - from Kuuga all the way to Drive, and probably Ghost too :laugh:

Last edited:
Err...there WASN'T an audition process for the 12th Doctor. Capaldi was the only person they asked.
Really but didn't BBC check on his acting to see if he is good enough to play the doctor (at least he did and it was good)

I think you're getting a bit mixed up about the process.

Toei DO have open auditions. They see hundreds of people. They even let people audition for multiple roles on the same show. People come back year after year to audition to be on the show. The catch is that Toei usually offer really low wages (the secret to keeping these toku shows going is to be able to make them as cheaply as possible). In exchange they market the roles as a learning opportunity for new actors with little/no experience of the industry.

What the mentions of a "talent show" refer to is where management companies hold a contest where the prize is a contract with them. The winner signs with them and then the company's job is to try and find them work in the industry. In Japan they expect young stars to have a go at anything, be it singing and dancing, modelling, or acting. Just because one of their clients came from a competition doesn't mean they are treated any differently; they're trying to keep them in constant work.

So you have management companies trying to find work for their clients. They hear that Toei are auditioning for a show and have roles for inexperienced young actors. So they make damn well sure anyone on their roster who doesn't currently have work, regardless of how they became clients, goes down to those auditions.

And that's how we get our Kamen Riders - from Kuuga all the way to Drive, and probably Ghost too :laugh:

Now i see why Joe Odagiri didn't like the current conditions of tokusatsu that he never reprised his role as kuuga again for future crossover films,Maybe the production company should have at least have a high budget for rider and sentai shows that it will make things better but that could lead to a similar incident like RPM with executive meddling of overbudget.

I understand the process of casting because it helps upcoming actors experience the process of acting but shouldn't we spice things up a bit i mean instead of this type of 'casting' they should try the old fashion way just like how they audition the main actor for kamen rider black did how about they should audition people who were young but were extras for a show or a nobody who played as minor characters in any plays or J-Dramas who are also good in acting to be the role of superheroes like sentai or rider heck Kensuke Takahashi who once performed in the Hamatora stage play take on the role as Ultraman X's human host and its not by a talent agency or some fashion magazine voting contest thing.

Oh one last thing did i ever tell you that unlike rider and sentai which focus on toy merchandising ultraman franchise (despite focusing on items which are toy related) focus more on the story.

Joining a magazine/agency contest is a way for them to gain a way into the industry, to win a contract with an agency which will help train, support and manage them.
also...Toei does hold "old fashioned auditions". Many of the actors have talked about their own rider/sentai audition in interviews and what not.

DX Mach Ghost Icon
Picture under the hide tag.
This will probably give Ghost armour resembling Mach
The sounds it will make are "tsuiseki! bokumetsu! let's mach!"
Slated to be released in December.
[hide]
40z5EHv.jpg
[/hide]

Other icons based on riders will probably be named this way too.

<Rider name>+<Ghost Icon>

Last edited:
Really but didn't BBC check on his acting to see if he is good enough to play the doctor (at least he did and it was good)

He was cast as Cardinal Richelieu in the BBC series The Musketeers. The Musketeers writers had to kill Richelieu off-screen because Capaldi got cast as the Doctor. So technically, they did do that....just not by way of a traditional audition.

Now i see why Joe Odagiri didn't like the current conditions of tokusatsu that he never reprised his role as kuuga again for future crossover films,Maybe the production company should have at least have a high budget for rider and sentai shows that it will make things better but that could lead to a similar incident like RPM with executive meddling of overbudget.

And where is this higher budget going to come from? It's not like they can just magically create money. I'm not arguing that a higher budget wouldn't make it better, there's no doubt about that. But here in the real world, money just does not appear based on a whim. Rider and Sentai would have to be doing fantastic in the merchandising area for even half of your ideas to be plausible, and currently...they're just not, according to what I gather.

I understand the process of casting because it helps upcoming actors experience the process of acting but shouldn't we spice things up a bit i mean instead of this type of 'casting' they should try the old fashion way just like how they audition the main actor for kamen rider black did how about they should audition people who were young but were extras for a show or a nobody who played as minor characters in any plays or J-Dramas who are also good in acting to be the role of superheroes like sentai or rider heck Kensuke Takahashi who once performed in the Hamatora stage play take on the role as Ultraman X's human host and its not by a talent agency or some fashion magazine voting contest thing.

As numerous people have tried to explain to you, this is EXACTLY what they do! Yes, at times they get fresh little acting babies who have no experience, and they prefer them. These are the kinds of things that can launch careers in Japan - look at Odagiri Joe, Seto Kouji, and Matsuzaka Tori. I'd heard of Odagiri and Seto long before I had any interest in toku. But back on topic...this is exactly how they do things, pretty much. The casts of the Prince of Tennis musicals are as much a gold mine as the Junon Super Boy contest for Rider and Sentai actors. And regardless, the actors are going to be represented by a talent agency...it's what gets them in the door to the auditions in the first place. Even if they won "some fashion magazine voting contest thing", if they're acting, they're with an agency. I'm not a fan of the trend of Riders and Sentai members getting younger and younger every year, but I see why they do it. Older characters don't relate well to the target audience, where the majority of the series' income comes from.

Oh one last thing did i ever tell you that unlike rider and sentai which focus on toy merchandising ultraman franchise (despite focusing on items which are toy related) focus more on the story.

Good. Go watch Ultraman then, and quit complaining about Sentai and Rider! Problem solved.

{Also, hi everyone! I've been following this thread and other HJU rumor threads for a while but never had anything I wanted to say until now. >.>}

Toku Prince
DX Mach Ghost Icon
Picture under the hide tag.
This will probably give Ghost armour resembling Mach
The sounds it will make are "tsuiseki! bokumetsu! let's mach!"
Slated to be released in December.
[hide]
40z5EHv.jpg
[/hide]

Other icons based on riders will probably be named this way too.

<Rider name>+<Ghost Icon>

It's fake. It's just a photoshop made using the Benkei Ghost Eyecon scan.

Heroes are forever
Gonna prove you wrong right now: Kamen Rider 1 & 2 often teamed up together (after Fujioka's recovery and return to the series). Then you have V3 & Riderman, X teamed up with 1 & 2, Stronger & Tackle, and I think Skyrider was filled with past Rider team-ups. Honestly it was only Amazon, Super-1, Black, and Kuuga that worked 100% alone throughout their series.
The Double Riders' team ups only happen in 10 out of the 98 episodes of the original series. Riderman comes near the end of the V3 series and then dies to leave V3 alone for the finale. X's team ups with other Riders also take a small part of the series and he is left alone for the finale too (though V3 and Rider 2 have importance to the plot and they have a certain presence in the last episode).
Skyrider, even with how important the team-ups were to the show was left alone for a long time, most notably in the early episodes when it was still a reboot and the ghost story series (shoutouts to that now that Kamen Rider Ghost is incoming!).

So, if someone sits down and watches the whole series, they'll spend more time looking at those Riders fighting alone. Of course, it's still not comparable to Amazon, Kuuga, BLACK and Super-1 (if the movie is discarded). Kuuga and Amazon most of all, since Shadow Moon does give that Rider presence IMO.

This is why it would be quite refreshing to see a Rider series do that again. Been a while.

Your speculations are fanfiction...

Err...the actors do go through rounds and rounds of auditions...
most are quite unknown before being selected.
For example,
Chase's actor has said that he had auditioned for Rider several times before he finally got a role in Drive.

After the contest, the finalists all get signed by various talent agencies who give them acting lessons and training before sending them to auditions
Do correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there still a certain bias towards young actors? The fact that Shigeki Hosokawa and Ren Kiriyama were that old was considered extraordinary. I'm not talking about 50-year olds auditioning for the main role but it does seem that if you're above 23 your chances are reduced considerably.

Ahoy, KamenRiderPurple!

Thanks! Glad to be here. :)

So I don't recall if it's been mentioned yet, but I am super psyched that Ghost's bike looks like a horse. The iguana thing looks cool, but I personally hope he uses the regular Ghostriker more. It's got that whole Horseman of War/Headless Horseman thing going on that fits well with the theme. Also, I'm getting a bit of a Boukenger/W combo vibe with the plot, though the W part may just be that I kind of want another detective-like series. But...traveling around the world. I hope that happens in some form, even if it's just incredibly fake sets.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Do correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there still a certain bias towards young actors? The fact that Shigeki Hosokawa and Ren Kiriyama were that old was considered extraordinary. I'm not talking about 50-year olds auditioning for the main role but it does seem that if you're above 23 your chances are reduced considerably.

There was a leaked casting sheet for Go-Busters saying they were looking for girls 14-23 and guys 16-25 to audition for the Rangers (although they ultimately cast Ryoma Baba who was then 27.) I imagine the mandate for Kamen Rider would be similar but they probably look for main Riders closer to 23 max and female leads no older than 20. Drive is the first Rider series since Decade where neither the character nor actress of the leading lady is a teenager, and that's probably only because Kiriko is an experienced police officer who couldn't be cast any younger

IIRC Steven Moffat asked Capaldi round to his house, where Capadi did a test read for Moffat and the series producers. Basically he had to read out a sample piece of script and so long as he didn't completely mess it up the job was his. They never saw anybody else for the part.
Now i see why Joe Odagiri didn't like the current conditions of tokusatsu that he never reprised his role as kuuga again for future crossover films
He went from being completely unknown to being a well-known actor. It's the foundation of his career, and every actor auditioning for Rider nowadays does so hoping that they can repeat what he achieved. Not so bad really.
just like how they audition the main actor for kamen rider black
The actor who played Minami Kotaro has described his audition process and it sounds pretty much the same as today. He's said in interviews that when he tried out he had no acting experience at all and admits that the producers at the time cast him simply because he looked the most like the kind of character they had in mind. They even had to send him off for acting and singing lessons before they could start filming the series (the singing lessons were because he had to record the opening theme).
I haven't seen any of Ultraman X yet, but that certainly wasn't the case for Ginga.
So I don't recall if it's been mentioned yet, but I am super psyched that Ghost's bike looks like a horse. The iguana thing looks cool, but I personally hope he uses the regular Ghostriker more.
Welcome KamenRiderPurple! I hope you have a lot of fun here. I think the Ghostriker will get used more, if only because they probably have an actual bike for it while the iguana form will be CGI. Though modern Rider tends not to be interested in showing off the bikes. :disappoin