Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger vs. Space Sheriff Gavan - Discussion Thread

RiderKing

Just finished watching Gokaiger vs. Gavan and it was pretty awesome.

Feel free to express your opinion about it here.

Last edited:
OMG I just watched it too! It was so good. This movie is going to make me hate Hero Taisen so much more if it's bad. Gavan wasn't just sidelined he was actually competent and kicked ass!

Allio

DAIMON PAWNCH
damn... and I still have 8 more episodes of Gavan to watch

Last edited:

Savior Den-o

The Meteor has landed
What's this, a movie that DOESN'T make the secondary character on the sidelines!? Impossible!

What I like about the movie:

• The battle scene with the GokaiGalleon and Gavan's Ship in the beginning
  • Gavan VS The Core 5 Gokaigers
  • Marvy's backstory with Gavan
  • BattleKenya and DejiBlue's human appearance, hilarious :laugh:
  • GoBusters' Debut (lol Sally:laugh:)
  • The battles in each floor of the Maku Prison
  • Gavan & Gokaiger VS Don Horror and Grunts
  • All Pink, White, & Red Change
  • Gavan Marvelous Dynamic

What I didn't like about the movie:
  • The Prisoners, it was just fan service
  • Don Horror's voice, I wished his voice was deeper and not the same as his human voice
  • The BattleKenya and DejiBlue Key can unlock a portal to Maku Space, how does that even work!?

Overall, I give it a 9/10

Aoi Kurenai

Mad Skillz
The triple transformation at the end was neat, reminds me of the end of that Space Sheriff team up - essentially the only good part of that thing.

Anywho, fun movie! One thing I've always been a huge fan of is expanded universes and making things feel as if they're working worlds beyond what we see the characters interact with on a daily basis, so seeing them interact with these expanded facets is a lot of fun. And Ohba's still my favorite toku actor, the dude can pull off moves like no one's business.

Gavan Bootleg looked kind of crappy in certain shots and I'm not sure whether or not that's intentional. The CGI Dolgiran was...just bad, really bad, even for tokusatsu. I've got to wonder if this was because they were maybe rushed with production or if that's all they wanted to do.

Those two things are really my only gripes with the movie, other than that, I absolutely loved it. Seeing Gavan in action again was wonderful, Ohba's a great stunt actor and really shows up a lot of the younger guys here.

Kalle

変わって欲しくないよ。
Gavan Bootleg looked kind of crappy in certain shots and I'm not sure whether or not that's intentional.

Well, his name is 'Gavan Bootleg' ... :laugh:
Perhaps the Zangyack took cues from those shady eBay sellers who peddle crappy knockoff figures when they made him?

I liked this movie a lot! I kinda wish I knew a bit more about the Metal Heroes franchise going in, but Gavan is pretty kickass. The fights were fun to watch, the villain cameos made me laugh ( Kega-chaaaan! ♥ And lol, nobody likes you Bae. ) and the whole backstory with Gavan and tiny Marvelous was interesting -- though I have to wonder how and why Marvy was on that ship in the first place, I wonder if it'll be addressed in subs or something ...

I think my only -- admittedly minor and nitpicky! -- beefs were
★ the narration over the whole big transformation scene. What was with that? I'd like to know if it's a reference I'm not getting or what.
★ of all the Action Commanders to bring back, why the Sneak Brothers? = m =;; Though the sister partially makes up for it by having the cutsiest voice imaginable for such an ugly-ass body, I admit that I lol'd.

The CGI Dolgiran was...just bad, really bad, even for tokusatsu. I've got to wonder if this was because they were maybe rushed with production or if that's all they wanted to do.
Maybe it's the upgraded Dolgiran 2.0. He does look bigger than he did in the series.

Aoi Kurenai

Mad Skillz
★ the narration over the whole big transformation scene. What was with that? I'd like to know if it's a reference I'm not getting or what.
I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the last episode of Shaider. The three leads from the three Metal Heroes shows at the time have a "team up" that's really just a clip show but transform together in the end at the urging of another disembodied voice.

Kalle

変わって欲しくないよ。
I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the last episode of Shaider. The three leads from the three Metal Heroes shows at the time have a "team up" that's really just a clip show but transform together in the end at the urging of another disembodied voice.

Oh okay! Like I said, I'm not familiar with those shows so it just made me headscratch a bit when I heard it. xD; At least now I know it wasn't just some random thing.

Omg! This movie is great.
The action,
the interaction with old characters,
referencing camera work form old toku shows (like Zooming in on the same character 3 times)

So far I have enjoyed every Gokaiger related movie that has ever came out and I hope that Movie Hero Taisen won't be a let down.

masorick

Is it me or the Marvelous/Gavan Bootleg fight is a nod to the Jack Sparrow/Will fight at the beginning of PotC?

masorick

You know, I have a problem with the way Ohba plays Shiro Akebono in this movie; it's like he's not even trying.

Just watched the raw. Although I couldn't understand a lot of Japanese, I watched a lot of Shaider and enough of Gavan (both dubbed in our language) to figure out the part where Gavan's transformation was being explained. At that time I thought "Oh cool! The old Space Sheriff transformation explanation." Then they did the same for the Gokaigers! I had to laugh. :laugh: Loved the battles and the music too. I can't believe how much I missed Space Sheriff music.

I'll wait for the subs before I say more.

Last edited: