Kaiju Suit Actor, HARUO "GODZILLA" NAKAJIMA, Attending "Monsterpalooza" in Burbank!

"Shocker Gundan, Banzai!"
HARUO "GODZILLA" NAKAJIMA @ "Monsterpalooza" April 8-10, 2011!

GODZILLA CONQUERS MONSTERPALOOZA: The Man Who Played Godzilla, HARUO NAKAJIMA, Will Crash the Party in Burbank, April 8-10, 2011!

Nakajima-color-sm.jpg
Photo © Toho Co., Ltd. (courtesy of Greg Shoemaker, colorized by Bill Selby)

Burbank, California: This coming spring, the man who played the original Godzilla — all the way from Japan — Haruo Nakajima will stomp into Burbank for the third annual Monsterpalooza horror film gathering, taking place April 8, 9, & 10, 2011 at the Marriott Convention Center.

Taking up extra work at Toho Studios in the late 1940s, Mr. Nakajima appeared in numerous productions, including one of the bandits in Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai (1954). After volunteering for the first Japanese fire stunt in the WW2 epic Eagle of the Pacific (1953), the team prepping Godzilla (1954) knew that he was the man for the job. From 1954 through 1972, Mr. Nakajima donned the heavy costumes to portray Godzilla, and a horde of other beasts, for film and television.

After 11 years, Mr. Nakajima will return to California to meet with his fans and sign autographs during the three-day Monsterpalooza event. He will also be speaking about his experiences in bringing these characters to life — including the various accidents and injuries he sustained while taking on the roles of Rodan, Varan, Baragon, Green Gargantua, and many other titanic terrors, as — arguably — the world’s foremost monster suit actor.

“Mr. Nakajima starred anonymously in one of the greatest movie franchises in history — from the somber allegories of the 1950s to the colorful monster mashes of the 1960s. For many westerners, these films stimulated an interest in Japan, with Godzilla serving as a surrogate cultural ambassador — largely thanks to Mr. Nakajima’s performances. He’s a living legend, and bringing him to Monsterpalooza is an honor, and he’s looking forward to meeting his American fans,†said August Ragone, author of Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters.

Monsterpalooza, organized by Eliot Brodsky, has quickly become the premiere gathering for fans of creature features in the US. Having hosted scores of actors from classic films, this the show’s first guest from Japan — a great opportunity for monster mavens to meet the one-and-only, Godzilla himself, Haruo Nakajima — truly making this Monsterpalooza an international event!

MONSTERPALOOZA 2011: The Art of Monsters • April 8-10, 2011
Award winning FX Artists, Monster related artwork displayed and sold, special presentations, a walk-through Monster Museum, and special guests from Horror and Sci-Fi films!

For more information, please visit the official MONSTERPALOOZA website!

Last edited:
私の占いは当たる
...Well if I find myself in CA around then I'll drop in. Suit actors :wub:

Here's a look at the poster I commissioned for the event, created by the amazing Jolyon B. Yates!

Nakajima2011Poster-med.jpg
(This is a low-res version for web purposes only.)

Here are two of the presentations that Mr. Nakajima will be participating in during Monsterpalooza:

nak3.jpg

—THIS PRESENTATION TAKES PLACE ON SATURDAY, APRIL 9th @ 3:00 PM!—

Suits.jpg

—THIS PRESENTATION TAKES PLACE ON SUNDAY, APRIL 10th @ 2:00 PM!—

Last edited:
We are going to be donating a large portion of the proceeds in the sales of Mr. Nakajima's autographs (at screamingly low prices to begin with, because I hate inflated celebrity autograph prices) will go to the Japan Society's Earthquake Relief Fund — there will also be a limited number of giclee prints of the event artwork (seen above), singed and numbered by the artist and Mr. Nakajima, which we will auction at Monsterpalooza. The full amount of the giclees will be going directly to the Japan Society's fund.

Twitter - @MisturYellow
Hey August...I just realized that the date in the first part of your first post says "April 2010."

GicleeNakajimaPoster-sm.jpg

I just received the limited-edition giclee prints from artist Jolyon B. Yates, and they look AMAZING, measuring a whopping 19.5"x24.75"! These will be available EXCLUSIVELY at MONSTERPALOOZA in Burbank (April 8-10, 2011), signed and numbered by the artist and Mr. Nakajima, which we will auction at the show. The full amount of these giclees will be going directly to the Japan Society's Earthquake Relief Fund.

Last edited: