Kaiju no Kami Presents... My Godzilla Reviews

D

Dr Kain

I've created a Youtube Channel and am starting to do a series of reviews of the Godzilla series. Here is my first one:

EDIT: New version uploaded with some additional edits and audio levels are hopefully more balanced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bl02pdryu4

Last edited by a moderator:
Ultraman Nexus Fan
Does this video have spoilers? I've seen just about every single Godzilla movie but 1954.

D

Dr Kain

Does this video have spoilers? I've seen just about every single Godzilla movie but 1954.

Yes. My reviews are done in a similar tone as those from Nostalgia Critic and gang. As such, I talk about the movie as I cover it in its entirety.

BTW, this is my first time ever doing something like this (never used video editing software until last week), so you will see issues with the splicing and cutting.

Ultraman Nexus Fan
Yes. My reviews are done in a similar tone as those from Nostalgia Critic and gang. As such, I talk about the movie as I cover it in its entirety.

BTW, this is my first time ever doing something like this (never used video editing software until last week), so you will see issues with the splicing and cutting.

It's okay, it's your first time doing it.

D

Dr Kain

I know, but with all of the work I put into it, I wanted it to be perfect. What is even more frustrating is I went back and re-edited my video this morning but the split second moments where I did the splicing are still there even though when I went through them four times today, all trace of them was gone. -_-

I'm currently working on GRA, but I think I'm going to hold off on doing more afterwards until I get my tax return so I can get some real editing software as Movie Maker sucks ass.

Lurker
I know, but with all of the work I put into it, I wanted it to be perfect. What is even more frustrating is I went back and re-edited my video this morning but the split second moments where I did the splicing are still there even though when I went through them four times today, all trace of them was gone. -_-

I'm currently working on GRA, but I think I'm going to hold off on doing more afterwards until I get my tax return so I can get some real editing software as Movie Maker sucks ass.

It's cool if your first few videos aren't that well made because from personal experience, always going back and reediting to make it perfect just delays your work in general.
How I see it is to just make the video, and edit it so that it's not terrible but not meticulously perfect either.
Your video is fine in terms of editing and I would say instead of using all your time perfecting one video, spread it out.
So for example, you first video has some jumpy cuts from the movie footage to the footage of you talking.
Rather than go back and fix the problem, keep in mind what was wrong with the first video and then fix all the problems in the second video.
That way it's a gradual learning process that also produces more videos, rather than simply refining the first one and stalling production.
Plus you only learn so much fixing one video over and over again.
Spreading it out also gives you new experiences and new ways to apply solutions.

If you go back to watch the all popular YouTubers like the NC for example, their early videos were all bad in terms of video quality and editing.
But the reason why they eventually got big was because of their content.
So while your early videos may lack the visual refinement of the already established YouTubers, it's really the content that speaks the most to people.
With that said, I'd say you should keep going with Movie Maker, despite it being a God awful program.
It's terrible, but gets the job done.

Hope this helps in any way shape or form.
And if you already know all of this, then sorry about that, I just wanted to give my two cents on this.... Which turned out to be two giant paragraphs :sweat:

D

Dr Kain

Here is my review for Godzilla Raids Again. I tried a few new things compared to what I did to the last video, so let me know if you liked them or not. I'm still trying to figure out how to boost the audio though as it seems like even if I have the audio on full it lowers when I render the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTae_iV-SfI&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: Hopefully this version it does not get claimed. -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dr Kain

If you live in the US, watch this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjCDIryag3o

If you live outside of the US, here is an edited version that has footage removed that made my video get a copyright claim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKVb0sHJFRg

Confused? Yes, it makes no sense to me either. ONe of the spots I had a claim on did not even have any audio and it was part of the movie, not the outside clips.

BTW, I did this video using Sony Vegas and I am never going back to Movie Maker. Vegas was just fantastic to use. I just wished my first video using it was not one where I was essentially reviewing two movies in one.