It's over 8,000!
I finished watching History of the Salaryman.

Thoughts (which constitute spoilers):

[HIDE]Choi Hangu should have died. He puts people in danger, he steals information, he lies to hurt good people, he frames people, and he covers up murders and fraud. He is the main antagonist of the series. He keeps getting in Yu Bang's way. He almost got Uhui killed and he GETS ENGAGED TO HER?! Yu Bang was the one who saved her. That part got stupid.[/HIDE]

I must admit that Yu Bang and Baek Yeo-chi are two of my favorite characters in anything that I have seen. The series would have been better if Hangu didn't get in their way so much.

Raxbait: Hip
Completed:
Fugitive: Plan B
Dream High 1 & 2.
Jungle Fish 1 & 2.
The Angel of Death Comes With Purple High Heels
City Hunter
Reply 1997

Currently Watching:

Last edited:
Coffee Prince will probably be my 2nd favorite KDrama.

Probably, because I've been watching Bridal Mask/Gaksital and I'm pretty sure that is going to be my favorite.

Someone else has got to be watching it, right? If you like historical dramas (well, recent historical, it takes place during Japanese occupation of Korea), badass action, love triangles, and tons suspenseful moments... this drama is for you!

Back in Black
Coffee Prince will probably be my 2nd favorite KDrama.

Probably, because I've been watching Bridal Mask/Gaksital and I'm pretty sure that is going to be my favorite.

Someone else has got to be watching it, right? If you like historical dramas (well, recent historical, it takes place during Japanese occupation of Korea), badass action, love triangles, and tons suspenseful moments... this drama is for you!

Gakshital sucks.

It has no real sense of direction. The characterization of the protagonist is poorly constructed. He goes from being a psycho villain to this good guy that we pretty much are told to like.

I did like that it did make a bold move in having the second Gakshital murder his brother's killer with his bare hands, but that was the high point of everything that I have seen in the series so far.

Now History of the Salaryman was getting somewhere. It's too bad that the whole production held back a great idea to keep it in the usual comfort zone of "one misunderstood character is not a villain and he must be paired with an attractive woman".

That being said, the strength of the series was its dialogue. The dialogue was well written and it allowed the characters to express themselves more. That and the great casting on Yu Bang and Baek Yeo-chi made some very impressive characters.

Chairman Jin was a very solid character and he was static, but I like that. A well written series must handle well the characters that it chooses to be dynamic.

This leads me to another drama which I call my favorite: Pasta.

Pasta is one of those series which just has very interesting characters bouncing their personalities off each other. The whole series was written very well and anyone can see it by checking the restraint on certain aspects of the story and how accentuated other aspects are. The supporting cast had great dialogue that allows the characters to all interact well with each other, but the supporting characters do not have convoluted background stories tacked onto them. The main characters have distinct personalities and have subtle interactions which slowly change them and most important, their attitudes toward each other. The series has a natural flow.

I suppose that I'll go for some other comments as they come to mind.

Man from the Equator has a solid idea, but once again is held back by the production. The writing lingers too much on possible melodrama. Most of the series is just people staring at each other with bulging eyes that make them all look constipated. There's a difference between fear and constipation. There are too many missed chances, and the core idea just slips from the fingers of the writers.

Believe in Love has a more solid story within one of the sub-stories. The detailed analysis of Korean Dramas within that story almost made me shiver. It was far more interesting than the melodrama from the main story. The main girl changed more sides than a ping pong ball.

It's over 8,000!
Post more about Gakshital. It looks bad from what I'm reading, but I never got the chance to watch it.

You're right about Pasta. It's like watching a conversation unfold in real life.

History of the Salaryman did have those terrible flaws. Dramas should be written before the casting if this problem is to be avoided.

Lurker
I'm currently watching To the Beautiful You (Hana Kimi.) And I like it so far. Recommend me any romantic comedy?

Back in Black
Well, Gakshital is pretty bad because it has the quickest shift from terrible villain to misunderstood good looking man who needs a woman.

It takes place during the Japanese occupation of Korea within Joseon land.

It starts with the protagonist, who is a villain and I'm not talking about him pushing people to cut in the front of the line; I'm talking about some guy who would kick toddlers half to death because they did not give up their places in line for him. This guy is a cold-blooded killer who is Korean but has sworn allegiance to Japan. He hates his family because his mother and his brother remain living as Joseon people. He even beats his brother and his brother is believed to be retarded due to Japanese torture.

Anyway, this jerk (Gangto) runs errands for the Japanese and he tries to kill Mokdan, a girl who is a resistance fighter (and who I am surprised to remember), and he fails. The first time that we see his failure is the first time Gakshital appears to save Mokdan.

Gakshital later appears at the headquarters of the "police" and he kills one official. Gangto tries to catch him, but I think that this is when his brother gets in the way. Anyway, it's obvious that his brother is Gakshital at this point.

There are two Kimura brothers and one supposedly is good while the other one is bad. The "good" one likes Mokdan and the bad one tries to kill her although he does not try as much as Gangto.

There's that magic symbol again that unites two people from the past. This time, it is a dagger. Mokdan wants to find the person who gave her the dagger and the series points to Kimura as the one who gave her that dagger, but it later shows that she met Kimura after the dagger was given to her.

At this point, you know who was with her when she got the dagger. This magically transforms the villain into the hero a bit later.

The older Kimura deduces that Gakshital and Gangto are related by trying to kill Gangto. Gangto and Kimura fight Gakshital and Gakshital gets shot and he leaves. Kimura searches for him and he arrives at Gangto's home and at this time Gangto's brother's identity was revealed to his mother who hid his mask and told him to leave. The mother gets killed and Gangto sees that his brother was the one who fought him before he dies and he goes to tell his mother what happened but she also is found dead in her room.

Gangto yells and whatnot and he leaves his home and he is brought back by his father's bodyguard and he sees that his house is burning. He goes crazy and he dons the mask and he brutally kills Kimura. The younger one sees this and he chases Gangto off a cliff.

Gakshital is thought to be dead and Gangto returns. He almost is murdered by Mokdan but he manages to almost kill her by blasting her chest with a close range shot. He knows about the dagger now so he saves her. He's all happy and his face is all like "aren't you glad that I saved you? I'm your hero now!" after he tried to kill her so many times.

Anyway, the whole way that the shift from hero to villain was stupid. Kimura and Gangto are meant to switch roles in a stupid way. The change is almost immediate. A character can't be shifted to the reverse side of the spectrum like that and here the writers try it with two!

ShadowNeko003, watch Pasta. Coffee Prince is pretty good too. I've seen too many dramatic ones... My Husband Got a Family is good. It's more comedy than romance, but the substories have romance. I like it so far. The Greatest Love is funny, but the pairings are not too good. I wanted Seri to live the rest of her life alone and miserable. It's not quite a spoiler. You'll see how obvious they make the pairs. Smile Honey is amazing for the first few episodes. It drags toward the end. It becomes more dramatic in the last third of the series or so.

I can't remember much from the 1990s. Aw.

It's over 8,000!
A quick role-swap?

That's not good. It's a bad idea that even the best writers rarely would want to touch. It takes a very long time to change the roles of characters to their complete opposites. I can see why it's bad.

The K-Pop community likes it?

Back in Black
I didn't even see this until now.

Yeah, K-Pop people like anything that they are told to like first. I don't understand them. They'll say something like Gangto is handsome and not that Gangto is a traitor. I remember "Kang Do-won is a great actor" for http://www.hancinema.net/korean_movie_Haunters.php and the guy was bad. Well, almost everyone was bad. The one that was acceptable was the actor opposite him in the film. There wasn't much that he could do given that script. That was one of the worst scripts I've ever seen.

It's Superman concepts poorly tied together by bad writing.