pretty sure he was being sarcastic lol. i dont see the big fail of Go-Busters affecting Kyoryugers budget. now if low sales becomes a trend who knows ? luckily Gokaiger made them a lot of money

LOL. Guess I should've put sarcasm tag by it?:sweat:

But anyways. Aliens.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
LOL. Guess I should've put sarcasm tag by it?:sweat:

But anyways. Aliens.

It's a fair point, posing 'em in front of a toy is pretty cheap!

There's a kids' show on the BBC called Wizards vs Aliens, I think we have a thread for it. Does this foreshadow a KR Wizard/Kyoryuger crossover?

I'm sad there only one girl ranger again. :( Since I guess there's no chance of a female 6th ranger, unless we get two of them at once like Go-On Wings....

Really late comment but I agree with this. The Smurfette Principle is lame.

Really late comment but I agree with this. The Smurfette Principle is lame.

I don't see the big deal at all.

From Goranger to Dynaman, it was one girl or at Sun Vulcan , none. That's 0-6.

From Bioman to Maskman [4], it was two women and from Liveman to Turboranger [2], it was the typical one girl. So 4 for the duo and two more for the typical bringing this to 4-8.

Then from Fiveman and Jetman [2] there are two girl teams, and Zyu-Kaku [3] had the initial one girl setup. So 6-11.

From Ohranger to Megaranger [3] , we again have two girl teams and from Gingaman on to Abaranger [6], its one girl teams. 9-17.

But from Dekaranger to Boukenger[3], we again have two girl teams and then for a blip that's Geki, its one girl. So now 12-19.

Goonger-Gokaiger [4] has two girl teams, so not bring this up to 15-18 while Gobusters and Kyoryuger is one girl. So, 16-21.

16 two girl series in the midst of 21 one girl series, that's very impressive to say the least when it started with a male dominated series that had a few women here and there and by many respects , did them justice from what I hear of them for their era.

Smurfette Principle is now the female equivalent to Godwin's Law.

Smurfette Principle is now the female equivalent to Godwin's Law.

First of all, I hope you're not going to compare anything that happened in WWII to the topic of women in the media.

Second, half the population is female, WHY is it so much trouble to have more than one female Ranger? That "boys won't buy girl action figures" thing is crap. The way around that is to teach kids that the opposite sex isn't some alien species, which includes ... wait for it ... more female characters in more varied roles. (It'd also include more guys in Pretty Cure and My Little Pony et al.)

Third, any character based around just one trait is going to be poorly written. If you have a character that exists to be "token minority" (such as only woman in an all-male cast), they're a flat character. Even The Smurfs acknowledged that Smurfette was dreadful - they've now gone up to a whopping four female characters!

We had a thread a while ago about how many women in a Sentai team is the optimum number. I dealt with the "one girl = better writing" nonsense there.

*steps off soapbox* it's all right! You can come out now!

Last edited:
When it comes to Sentai, having one or two girls have been flexabe to where it doesn't really matter.

I don't do sense
Can you all just stop going about this bullshit every bloody page.

Can you all just stop going about this bullshit every bloody page.

Why? Just because YOU don't like it?

I've resurrected a relevant thread so we can keep it there instead of here, after all there's only a week to go until New Year and with it, we hope, cast reveals! AREN'T YOU EXCITED, KIDDIES? *Crypt Keeper voice* (We most likely know Red and Black already so that deflates it a bit but that still leaves three)

On a related note: I've seen speculation on another board that KyoryuPink is another princess, because the top of her helmet looks somewhat like a crown shape. Possibly a bit soon after Ahim, but I can see them doing it as a Zyuranger reference. I'm also guessing that a full team Zyuranger shout-out is likely to be the reason why the lineup order is the same (with Green in place of Tiger Ranger.) Thoughts?

Last edited:
Second, half the population is female, WHY is it so much trouble to have more than one female Ranger? That "boys won't buy girl action figures" thing is crap. The way around that is to teach kids that the opposite sex isn't some alien species, which includes ... wait for it ... more female characters in more varied roles. (It'd also include more guys in Pretty Cure and My Little Pony et al.)

Roleplay items are a bigger thing for Sentai than action figures. That's the main problem right there. They wouldn't have to convince boys to play with female super hero toys, they'd have to convince them to roleplay as girls. Now, it has been mentioned before, having only one girl hasn't necessarily meant success, but Bandai, which has heavy influence in the hero design and structure sides, has no reason to wish for more female heroes, considering how they won't help moving merchandising.

Also, since you mentioned Pretty Cure, in spite of it being clearly inspired by Sailor Moon, Toei never bothered including a single male Tuxedo Mask-like character in any permanent basis. There are a few who aren't useless but they're generally just guest stars who appear in no permanent basis. Every single recurring male character that's around in basically every episode and can fight is a villain. Why? Because it's targeted at girls and with merchandising for girls. Even though standard "shoujo" series often include "cool" males even for the female audience itself, that kind of thing doesn't have space in a series with heavy merchandising focus.

Last edited:
^ One of many reasons I've never liked Pretty Cure much.

Actually, does anyone better informed than me know when cast reveals are likely to be? They usually allow actors to go public after New Year, but this year the announcement of who'd be playing Beet Buster and the Wizard cast was left later than normal, we could be waiting till the press conference