Aronbafon
Saw a comment on Facebook here (if the link doesn't work, it's on the HJU facebook thread for the "Ohmori - Yellow debate") thought I'd carry it over for people who know more Japanese to confirm or deny...

[hide]

• Yuichi Koda I have read the original interview of Ohmori, in Japanese language.
    http://r25.yahoo.co.jp/fushigi/wxr_detail/?id=20130215-00028313-r25

Therefore, I'm really sorry to say this, but there is a problem of translation, he has never said "Seeing how modern Yellows have been female, we couldn’t have a male Yellow. If the Yellow was a male, the kids would probably think is feminine and we wanted to avoid that.â€

He says, "It has been continued that girls play Yellow members in recent Sentai series, so we have been afraid of that a new boy-Yellow member might have been received as womanish by recent kids. Therefore, in order to express absurd strength within a boy member, we have decided to avoid a new boy-Yellow member."

Yes, he does say "onnappoi" (女っぽい), which literally means "feminine", especially when you use it to girls.

But, for ordinary Japanese speakers, using "onnappoi" to a boy may mean "womanish" or "naive", or "weak", if you have to say.

They just intend to avoid a boy-Yellow member in this particular season, not to avoid any Yellow member in whole Sentai series.

I hope my comment will help all of you to understand the difficulty of translation or interpretation.『キョウリュウジャー』の見どころ
    r25.yahoo.co.jp去る1月26日、東京ドームシティ・プリズムホールでスーパー戦隊シリーズの第37作となる『獣電戦隊キョウリュウジャー』のプレミア発表会が開催されました。その名の通り、今回は『恐竜戦隊ジュウレンジャー』『爆竜戦隊アバレンジャー』と続く3度目の“恐竜â€戦隊です。…

16 minutes ago · Edited · Like
[/hide]
It's pretty much the same.

Altair
Why didn't they just say that a base yellow with the yellow accents for the chest plate would look ugly? It would be disgusting, and it's a much better excuse.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

double_trek_facepalm.jpg

Why didn't they just say that a base yellow with the yellow accents for the chest plate would look ugly? It would be disgusting, and it's a much better excuse.

Because then the fandom would whine about Toei insisting on the color of the accents instead. We should thank Toei for giving us more noble stuff to whine about.

Seriously, I find all the whining unwarranted. There has been a trend of female yellows for the past decade and they thought kids would take yellow as a girl's color (which is highly probable), so they decided to take a break from that trend for awhile.

Heck, if it means it's more likely that they can reintroduce yellow as a more gender-neutral color in later series, I don't see what's the problem.

Last edited:
That would look cooler without the random dance moves before the gunshot.

And regarding "insert object to use" henshins, wouldn't it be more practical to keep the power source in there at all or most times? I understand showing off the procedure for the debut, but storywise it doesn't flow well.

I don't really mind the dance. It only comes off as random to me since it looks like Daigo just thought the dance before the transformation was a good idea. :laugh:

Seriously, I find all the whining unwarranted. There has been a trend of female yellows for the past decade and they thought kids would take yellow as a girl's color (which is highly probable), so they decided to take a break from that trend for awhile.

Agreed, way to blow something out of proportion.
If anything, it just gave us a possible explanation on why there has been no female Blue/male Yellow since 2005. And looking at it from a kid's POV, it does make sense. No biggie.

I grew up with the Bioman through Liveman run of shows and -- after male Blues and Yellow Four, Yellow Flash, Yellow Mask -- remember being pretty surprised to see male Yellow Lion and female Blue Dolphin in Liveman. But I wasn't like "The guy has a girl's color and the girl has a guy's color!" I just thought it was different and neat. Not really knowing about Sunvulcan, I also found it interesting how Liveman only had three members -- it just seemed like it was breaking all of the rules! :laugh:

Maybe it helped that Liveman started with such a strong cast that their colors were an afterthought, while Goggle Yellow...well, he was just Goggle Yellow. I don't even remember his name. :laugh:

Last edited:
Because then the fandom would whine about Toei insisting on the color of the accents instead. We should thank Toei for giving us more noble stuff to whine about.

Heck, if it means it's more likely that they can reintroduce yellow as a more gender-neutral color in later series, I don't see what's the problem.
Yeah cause you know when I was a kid and Ninja Storm's Yellow was the first American male yellow I didn't think that was a cool new take on a classic color. Kids aren't that stupid. They don't care if a boy or girl are in the suit and nobody is whining about there not being a yellow. We're "whining" about the sexist reason for why there is no yellow. Cause that's all it is sexist. No other way around it. They never needed a reason to reintroduce yellow as a "gender-neutral" color before they've just switch between boys and girls when ever they wanted. But I don't think all of Toei is sexist. It's just this guy who's in charge of Kyoryuger.

Yeah cause you know when I was a kid and Ninja Storm's Yellow was the first American male yellow I didn't think that was a cool new take on a classic color. Kids aren't that stupid. They don't care if a boy or girl are in the suit and nobody is whining about there not being a yellow. We're "whining" about the sexist reason for why there is no yellow. Cause that's all it is sexist. No other way around it. They never needed a reason to reintroduce yellow as a "gender-neutral" color before they've just switch between boys and girls when ever they wanted. But I don't think all of Toei is sexist. It's just this guy who's in charge of Kyoryuger.

Were you a kid in Japan? Because when I was a kid over here in the Philippines with Bioman and Maskman as my first Sentai, I always thought Yellow was a female color. And most of my peers did.

Seriously, unless you're experts in the field (which you're not), your whining is unwarranted. The way I see it, Toei did what it thought best for their business, not to bring down a certain gender. Calling a perception of femininity "feminine" is not sexism. It's stating a fact.

Last edited:
But I don't think all of Toei is sexist. It's just this guy who's in charge of Kyoryuger.

That's assuming one single person came up with the colors by himself, which i really doubt.
Especially considering he's a newbie producer working on a series under a lot of pressure to do well.