Jodie Foster As Star Wars' Leia? It Could've Happened

Staff member
Here's a wild one: actress Jodie Foster has revealed she could've been in Star Wars. We mean the original film. As she told Jimmy Fallon this week, Jodie, not Carrie Fisher, was George Lucas's initial choice to play the character of Princess Leia.

"I was [offered the role], yeah," Foster said. "They were going for a younger Princess Leia but I had a conflict. I was doing a Disney movie and I just didn't want to pull out of the Disney movie because I was already under contract." Given the time period, this could have either been Freaky Friday or Candleshoe.

But she has no regrets...her career took off anyway, so why would she? "[Fisher] did an amazing job," Foster said. "I don't know how good I would have been. I might have had different hair. I might have gone with a pineapple." The differences would have gone beyond hair, however. So much of Star Wars as we know it could have been affected by this casting.

In 1976, the year Star Wars was filmed, Foster would have been 13 years old. Luke and Han's rescue mission would have been to save a child, and the romantic subplot that developed between Leia and Han would not have been possible. Luke and Leia could still be siblings, but not twins. And since Foster is still alive, the Leia character could have appeared throughout the sequel trilogy that was made in the 2010s.

Mind-boggling to think about. Star Wars as a movie franchise is currently stalled, but Disney is experimenting behind the scenes with different ideas. The one thing we know we're getting is a Mandalorian and Grogu feature.

Linda Blair also almost got the Princess Leia Role but in the End Carrie Fischer got the role. Probably Nepotism but I wont deny Carrie is such an Iconic Princess Leia that no actress can fill the shoes.

: Master of the Sea
Wow, that's mind-blowing! Imagine a Star Wars where Princess Leia was a kid! I love Jodie Foster, but I can't help but be grateful for Carrie Fisher's iconic portrayal. The whole dynamic of the original trilogy would've been so different. Can you imagine Leia giving orders to Han and Luke as a 13-year-old? Hilarious!

A conflict with a Disney movie? I bet it was a tough choice for Jodie. I'm curious which Disney film it was—Freaky Friday or Candleshoe? Regardless, Carrie Fisher nailed Princess Leia, and I can't picture anyone else in that iconic role. But imagine the Disney crossover potential if Jodie had taken the part!Time-traveling decisions in Hollywood are always intriguing. Jodie Foster passing on Princess Leia might've altered the entire Star Wars saga. A 13-year-old Leia in the original trilogy? That would've been a cinematic experiment. But hey, everything happens for a reason, and we got the Star Wars we know and love.

The idea of a young Leia is intriguing, but it's hard to imagine anyone other than Carrie Fisher in the role. Disney's experimental phase makes me both excited and nervous https://inoxoft.com/blog/20-most-innovative-real-estate-tech-companies-and-startups/. I hope they don't spoil the Star Wars legacy too much, but a Mandalorian and Grogu feature sounds promising! The Japanese actor was also the original choice to play Darth Vader. I think Luke wouldn't be Vader's son.

Last edited: