Sorry if someone else already posted about this.

How do you guys feel about this turn of events? I think it's a huge-ass step in the wrong direction.

Heck, Toei even saved TV-Nihon from what I can recall since TV-Nihon weren't making a dang dime off of the subs they were making.

Here's the link: http://orendsrange.blogspot.com/2012/06/japans-new-anti-piracy-law-passed.html

I agree with what CaseyMadison said on that posting:
"So much for penalty fitting the crime... I understand that it's supposed to be a deterrent, but how many lives do you have to ruin in the name of protecting entertainment industry execs and their massive salaries? Who are they kidding with this one?"

D

Dr Kain

Meh, whatever, I am in the states, so they can pass whatever they want, it won't change a thing.

Lurker
That bill probably won't last in the long run.

Look at what happened when the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) bill was passed here in the U.S. back in 1998.

Piracy still occurred.

boogie woogie feng shui
Lemme guess, Loghorn, this is somehow President Obama's fault too?

That bill probably won't last in the long run.

Look at what happened when the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) bill was passed here in the U.S. back in 1998.

Piracy still occurred.

It has quadrupled over the past decade due to more efficient means of technology and accessibility over the traditional means of distribution. And for those whom have little money to gather in a pinch, they resort to such methods not out of malice, but out of necessity. The more expensive the product is , the less likely a person is going to buy it officially. This is why they are still having issues getting digital movies rolling on the net because clearly , they expect you to pay as much for a film as you would a DVD in a store, even though there's no transportation and therefore no gas , no plastic casings and discs. Once studios break the paradigm and sell them for a more reasonable price[ perhaps having sales occasionally] and without DRM , maybe digital film purchases would be worth it.

They have the overlying structures laid out for a rather profitable next generation marketplace, it is just that it has not settled. Once it does, I believe the prices will lower and in many respects, piracy will become unnecessary as it is devolving to. For those whom wait, Adobe offers the CS at discounted prices online digitally and physically a few times throughout the year and I am not sure about others aside from Black Friday. Music is very affordable and reasonable, especially on iTunes and other markets where you can select the songs you want to purchase, a freedom you would have dreamed of in the 80's or 90's where you'd be stuck with the various other junk tracks when you really just want the few of them. And as for ebooks, well that field is being settled ,but it's gonna be a huge fight.

DVDs, especially in context to lets say anime, is much^over 9000 cheaper if you were to purchase it on VHS in the 80s and 90s. With DVDs, things are much cheaper than before. I remember when I was 12, it cost me $300 to buy the VHS set of Ranma 1/2 dubbed. Then 10 years later, I buy the entire series on DVD for 50 dollars less. But most people I know pirate because its not licensed in their country and would legitimately buy the DVDs if they were officially avaliable to them.

But anyway, these laws mean ****.

DVDs, especially in context to lets say anime, is much^over 9000 cheaper if you were to purchase it on VHS in the 80s and 90s. With DVDs, things are much cheaper than before. I remember when I was 12, it cost me $300 to buy the VHS set of Ranma 1/2 dubbed. Then 10 years later, I buy the entire series on DVD for 50 dollars less. But most people I know pirate because its not licensed in their country and would legitimately buy the DVDs if they were officially avaliable to them.

But anyway, these laws mean ****.

Agreed. I'm starting to feel very scared now. I got a review show over on Reviewtopia, and it kinda depends on me being able to get the footage for the reviews by downloading the episodes and movies.

I don't have the tech needed to make a digital copy of one of the movies or shows in my collection so I can get the footage that way, so that's out of the question.

Here's an article on RT.com about this: http://www.rt.com/news/law-illegal-download-japan-488/

I agree with that whole dang article. If we can possibly stop this before it goes into law, we should stop it.

boogie woogie feng shui
Jennamoriss said:
how will they catch'em all ?

kawax-pokeball-3097.png