Japan's New Anti-Piracy Law Passed

Zeltrax541

Sorry if someone else already posted about this.

How do you guys feel about this turn of events? I think it's a huge-ass step in the wrong direction.

Heck, Toei even saved TV-Nihon from what I can recall since TV-Nihon weren't making a dang dime off of the subs they were making.

Here's the link: http://orendsrange.blogspot.com/2012/06/japans-new-anti-piracy-law-passed.html

I agree with what CaseyMadison said on that posting:
"So much for penalty fitting the crime... I understand that it's supposed to be a deterrent, but how many lives do you have to ruin in the name of protecting entertainment industry execs and their massive salaries? Who are they kidding with this one?"

Dr Kain

Meh, whatever, I am in the states, so they can pass whatever they want, it won't change a thing.

Loghorn

Lurker
That bill probably won't last in the long run.

Look at what happened when the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) bill was passed here in the U.S. back in 1998.

Piracy still occurred.

Bigdog

That bill probably won't last in the long run.

Look at what happened when the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) bill was passed here in the U.S. back in 1998.

Piracy still occurred.

It has quadrupled over the past decade due to more efficient means of technology and accessibility over the traditional means of distribution. And for those whom have little money to gather in a pinch, they resort to such methods not out of malice, but out of necessity. The more expensive the product is , the less likely a person is going to buy it officially. This is why they are still having issues getting digital movies rolling on the net because clearly , they expect you to pay as much for a film as you would a DVD in a store, even though there's no transportation and therefore no gas , no plastic casings and discs. Once studios break the paradigm and sell them for a more reasonable price[ perhaps having sales occasionally] and without DRM , maybe digital film purchases would be worth it.

They have the overlying structures laid out for a rather profitable next generation marketplace, it is just that it has not settled. Once it does, I believe the prices will lower and in many respects, piracy will become unnecessary as it is devolving to. For those whom wait, Adobe offers the CS at discounted prices online digitally and physically a few times throughout the year and I am not sure about others aside from Black Friday. Music is very affordable and reasonable, especially on iTunes and other markets where you can select the songs you want to purchase, a freedom you would have dreamed of in the 80's or 90's where you'd be stuck with the various other junk tracks when you really just want the few of them. And as for ebooks, well that field is being settled ,but it's gonna be a huge fight.

ParaParaJMo

DVDs, especially in context to lets say anime, is much^over 9000 cheaper if you were to purchase it on VHS in the 80s and 90s. With DVDs, things are much cheaper than before. I remember when I was 12, it cost me $300 to buy the VHS set of Ranma 1/2 dubbed. Then 10 years later, I buy the entire series on DVD for 50 dollars less. But most people I know pirate because its not licensed in their country and would legitimately buy the DVDs if they were officially avaliable to them.

But anyway, these laws mean ****.

Zeltrax541

DVDs, especially in context to lets say anime, is much^over 9000 cheaper if you were to purchase it on VHS in the 80s and 90s. With DVDs, things are much cheaper than before. I remember when I was 12, it cost me $300 to buy the VHS set of Ranma 1/2 dubbed. Then 10 years later, I buy the entire series on DVD for 50 dollars less. But most people I know pirate because its not licensed in their country and would legitimately buy the DVDs if they were officially avaliable to them.

But anyway, these laws mean ****.

Agreed. I'm starting to feel very scared now. I got a review show over on Reviewtopia, and it kinda depends on me being able to get the footage for the reviews by downloading the episodes and movies.

I don't have the tech needed to make a digital copy of one of the movies or shows in my collection so I can get the footage that way, so that's out of the question.

Here's an article on RT.com about this: http://www.rt.com/news/law-illegal-download-japan-488/

I agree with that whole dang article. If we can possibly stop this before it goes into law, we should stop it.

Bolt

boogie woogie feng shui
Jennamoriss said:
how will they catch'em all ?

kawax-pokeball-3097.png

Dr Kain

BTW, I got an easy solution to combat piracy for Japan.

STREAM YOUR SHOWS ONLINE SUBTITLED FOR ANYONE IN THE WORLD TO WATCH!!!

There, piracy problem has been fixed.

By what i have read, all it does is slap harsher sentences on what was already illegal in hope it will be a deterrent (it won't be) and make Media ripping of DVD's, BD's and the like in any form a crime (good luck policing that one).

So, i expect nothing to change.

Artic_Rival

Lurker

Not going to happen. You know how many translators are needed to make it subtitled for anyone? That means there has to be so many translators to translate the many languages.

Not to mention licensing rights to broadcast said shows online, as well as needing to find a way to profit off this idea.

Loghorn

Lurker
Here's an article on RT.com about this: http://www.rt.com/news/law-illegal-download-japan-488/

I agree with that whole dang article. If we can possibly stop this before it goes into law, we should stop it.

I also agree with those comments that people have wrote in that article as well. Seems like the Japanese Government cares more about stopping piracy (which is very impossible to stop), than to fix something that's real important like the bad economy & the radiation there.

Unbelievable. Japan's priorities are so screwed up just like our country is. Why keep fighting something that's inevitable to stop? It's just stupid.

If this site were to ever have a "Like" button for all posts, I would definitely click on yours. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen because they're too blind to figure it out.

SentaiRider

Lurker

Not going to happen, the Japanese entertainment industry makes a lot of money on physical Media by Rentals, a.k.a way the F--k does a DVD cause $50 of 3 episodes lol. now I know that the Japanese work very hard for there money but when are they going to have common sense that Japanese entertainment industry are ripping off the Japanese consumer.

As for Anti-Piracy Law, it ain't no different then are laws here which are a lot were worse but with very little arrest, and japan however you will still see cases after the law is pass but not that much, people will still download after this law is passed.

Zeltrax541

What the hell? :sly:

Here's the article/had to go back to one of my videos to find the link: http://diaxiann.tumblr.com/post/17019380617/why-no-one-gives-a-****-about-you-pirating-toku-and

I suggest taking a look at that article, as it's a pretty good read.

Last edited:

KingRanger

Banned
Here's the article/had to go back to one of my videos to find the link: http://diaxiann.tumblr.com/post/17019380617/why-no-one-gives-a-****-about-you-pirating-toku-and

I suggest taking a look at that article, as it's a pretty good read.

Oh that. That's just a bunch of bullshit from a Tv-nihon fanboy.

"you should not feel guilty for doing something that isn’t really illegal"

That little bit of crap is just freaking funny. Anyone that thinks fansubs, fansubbing, or downloading fansubs isn't illegal... Yeah..

Aoiblue

Raxbait: Hip
Maybe this can help for those new to this matter:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpaNfgmD9l4"]Youtube illegal in Japan!? Gimmeabreakman! - YouTube[/ame]

Now on Kickstarter

Latest News

Who's on Discord?

Latest posts