It seemed like the old combat system will forever be gone.

The Producer of Final Fantasy 16 has stated unequivocally that the game will feature a greater emphasis on action-based battles. There will no longer be any combat based on turns. What is the cause? Combat that is played out in turns doesn't really appeal to consumers. The most recent game in the Final Fantasy series to use the Turned system was 13, and it only sold about 7 million copies. In the meantime, sales of Final Fantasy 15 reached 15 million copies, despite the controversy surrounding the game's canceled DLC.

The Final Fantasy 7 remake included a command system because it was based, at least in part, on Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XV, both of which had command systems built in by default. Though in the end it is still more action based. Fans are more comfortable with the new system. Turn based system happened in the past because of technological limitations. It doesnt work with modern graphics. At the end of the day, its all about selling copies.
This is still a business after all.

In other words, Yoshida either has the corporate leadership on his tail and is simply saying the correct thing to please the appropriate people, or he lacks faith in the FF brand, which is strange considering that Final Fantasy was at its best when it was a turn-based game. In either case, he is saying the correct thing to please the appropriate people. So regrettable. Nothing could compare to the experience of playing a Final Fantasy game. It has become utterly inconsequential and unremarkable, much like the vast majority of video games. They are willing to forego their uniqueness in order to increase their revenue.

Complete Global saturation
New age players wanted a more simplified system. So get use to changes because the old system ain't coming back. You can still have the old games though.

I am already embracing of the shift because that is the only way the franchise will stay alive. Only 40-year-olds who are nostalgic will use the new system. They aspire to have followers who will be around in 20 years.

Good thing my first game in the series is Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy VII remake so I do not have the nostalgia glasses bias most boomers have. I am enjoying what I play by far.