"Let's DRIVING!!!!!"
Well, as I am anticipated for the release of 009: Re:Cyborg, I thought perhaps that everyone might have caught up with some of the other anime adapations of the Late Shotarou Ishinomori's works.
-Kikaider: The Animation
-Cyborg 009
-009-1

Me, I just got into watching 009-1 and I actually enjoyed it. Now perhaps if they continued releasing the other episode of the 2001 version of Cyborg 009, I would be a very happy camper.

What does everyone else thought about the Ishinormori Anime?

Mr. Kamen Rider
The Kikaider animation's pretty good, though I've gone on record as saying between that, the comic, and the live action universe, I prefer the latter. There's good points in them all though.

Cyborg 009, again, I'm more of a comics guy, but I've watched several of the various animated incarnations. The 2001 series (sometimes given the subtitle "THE CYBORG SOLDIER") is probably my favorite. It's true to its origins while doing something new with what by that point had been a fairly well-worn property. The 1980 movie should have been awesome, since the plot is essentially "Cyborg 009 IN SPACE!" but it's sadly pretty dull. Joe and the gang go to the edge of the universe, dick around for a while and then the villain just kinda dies because of too much power or something (it's been a while since I watched it though.) A dub of it exists though, which is pretty interesting. I had thought only the 2001 series got dubbed.

Haven't seen 009-1 yet, but if it's anything like the comic I'll have to correct that.

I still need to check out Gilgamesh at some point.

Silly Rookie
I was planning on rewatching the 2001 version of 009. I'll get to it soon.

009-1 is plain stupid in my opinion, but whatever, I'm just a prude.

I watched the Kikaider cartoon years ago, and I remember it being ok. The 01 OVA was terrible, though.

I saw the trailer for Re:Cyborg, and I think it looks awful. To each their own.

I loved anime like the 2001's Cyborg 009, Kikaider, and even 2003's Astro Boy (yes, I know, different studio, but the animation style is the same). I think we need more anime like this. Something about the character designs just fascinate me. They have all the proportions of a Loony Tunes character, yet the stories are serious and classic.

I keep saying I want dubbed Tokusatsu to come over here and be successful, but I would love it if the Ishinomori anime studio, Toei, or any kind of with the rights to do this and the same animation style, would just make a gripping Kamen Rider anime that was more faithful to the manga than the tokusatsu. If this anime were made, dubbed, and put on television, I think it might help bridge the gap between Anime and tokusatsu fans, might even give tokusatsu another chance at happening on American television. We had a chance when the Kikaider anime was on the air, but I don't know how successful it did ratings-wise.

Can't they just do a legitimate Kamen Rider just this once...that's not SD...or involve any Imajin?

Animate Spirits or something...I don't care...hell...make Skullrider legitimate. You know what...do a Kamen Rider Skull anime as well.:patriotic:

Can't they just do a legitimate Kamen Rider just this once...that's not SD...or involve any Imajin?

Animate Spirits or something...I don't care...hell...make Skullrider legitimate. You know what...do a Kamen Rider Skull anime as well.:patriotic:

I would rather see if an American animated series that's given the same attention to detail as Korra or the first series, given that nothing of note has really resulted from any of the anime series based on Ishinomori's series. Kinda **** though, considering that Cyborgs 009 2001 was a very awesome animated series indeed.

I don't believe Japanese have the guts and the power to do much to make a successful shonen comeback that's gritty to the core unless it would be a seinen anime. There simply isn't an appreciation for the older creators like Tezuka or Ishinomori in their home country to make anything tantamount to being remotely on the same level or better. Pluto, Guyver, Zetman and the Skullman manga is a rare exception to the rule, but most of that list I put up here is restricted to the mature readership and not really for the target audience that would be essential.

Silly Rookie
Old school shonen is just what it is: Old school. Meaning the people who grew up with it are the seinen audience now.

That's not something that ever has much of a chance to change, if you ask me. Eventually this current generation of shonen will change into something different as well.

Matrix of Leadership
Not sure if its counted fully in this topic, but a creation of Ishinomori turned anime: Skull Man has forever been a favorite of mine. So badass and awesome