It's still in my backlog, but I've asked this very question myself in forum threads and the response I received from other people was that it's not like other Ultra series, seems to be aimed entirely at adults rather than kids, and is generally very good, albeit some think the ending is maybe a little rushed due to the show being cancelled early.

The Extraordinary Fan(boy)
It actually amazes me that there are actually doubts about this but yes, Ultraman Nexus is arguably one of the best Toku Shows ever.

The only real negative i can say about it is that it is very different from your usual Ultraman, but considering how many people can´t get into Ultraman at all that might actually be an advantage.

That said, Nexus can be quite melodramatic, but it does so in an interesting way and it plays very well with the idea of the Ultramen being embodiments of Hope.

So yeah, you should totally watch it.

S

scikaiju

I'm going to echo what everybody else said and say yes it's that good.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

No dount, of course.

Nexus one of the best Toku and probably is my favorite.

IMO, Nexus is the last Ultraman series that I thought it was decent/good.
I like that they were trying something different and execution turned out pretty well.
It was the only tokusatsu of that era (2004~2005) that I enjoyed (I wasn't into Kamen Rider that years (Blade and Hibiki) and I REALLY didn't like Dekaranger and Magiranger).
Granted, I haven't seen that show in a while, so I might have to check it out again
I couldn't get into any series afterward (Max, Mebius (not a fan of "anniversary" series), Ginga, etc.)

Last edited:
Nexus is incredible.
If you are into semi-religious space-thrillers such as Event Horizon, then you are going to love this show.

As others have said, it is very different from other Ultraman shows. One of the main differences is that the whole "hero of light" thing is dropped, and instead the role of being an Ultraman is seen as more of a curse, and being the host of this alien not only fucks up your mind, but does damage to your body as well.

In this show, you also won't see any cheering crowds as Ultraman defends the Earth.
Instead you have a corrupt military organization that sometimes try to kill or capture him.

I also want to give this show points for having scary villains. Its quite rare these days to see a toku villain that is actually scary, but the ones in Nexus are really nasty, not in terms of design, but because of the psychological terror that they put their victims through.

So give it a chance. You won't regret it.

If it had been given the full 50-episode run it deserved, it could have been my favorite tokusatsu series ever. Basically, it does for Ultraman what Kuuga and Agito did for Kamen Rider. Unfortunately,Nexus bombed so the franchise never really got a chance to evolve from that and Tsuburaya has been relying on Showa-era nostalgia ever since to keep it going.

Plus the show had some damned beautiful music courtesy of my man, Kenji Kawai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVK8IZJs86c