Heroes are forever
One of the things I love about the Ultra franchise is it's continuity, even when there's ''AU'' series, it brings back those heroes and has a lot of stories connected with each other.

That being said, these series (more than any) benefit from watching it chronologically.

I'm planning to get into it at some point. So, is there like an official timeline of events or a chronology so one would know in which order to watch things?

SLICE
I shall attempt this as best I can.

Main Timeline

Ultraman

UltraSeven

Return of Ultraman

Ultraman Ace

Ultraman Taro

Ultraman Leo

Ultraman 80

Ultraman Mebius

Ultra Galaxy

Ultra Galaxy NEO

UltraSeven's time line (As Seven exists in his own little universe separate from the rest of the Ultra-verse, while also existing in the primary universe. It's weird)

UltraSeven

UltraSeven 94 (two parts)

UltraSeven 98 (Four parts)

UltraSeven 99 (I want to say Six parts)

UltraSeven Evolution (2001-2002)

UltraSeven X (Possibly included in the main time line as well?)

Then we have Max's confused confusion, which basically goes-

Kinda Ultraman

UltraSeven maybe?

It has some vague elements from Ultraman, though generally Ultraman didn't happen in Max. UltraSeven had to of happened in some fashion though, as one of Max's episodes is a direct sequel to one of Seven's. So you're guess is as good as mine.

Moving away from the Showa continuities, we have the duology of the 90s and a crap ton of one offs.

Duology-

Ultraman Tiga

Ultraman Dyna.

One Offs

Ultraman Powered

Ultraman Great

Ultraman Gaia

Ultraman Cosmos

Ultraman Neos

And the last two that connect are...

Ultraman The Next

Ultraman Nexus

The Next is a kind of prequel movie for Nexus, though you won't realize that until you watch Nexus.

The one offs have nothing to do with one another or anything else, though apparently an AU Zoffy exists in Neos.

So not too complicated, but still a bit odd with Seven giving the greatest amounts of headaches.

Shyni
Actual dates are another matter, though. I think Ultraman was set in "the future" (like, a few decades after 1966), but 80 was set during the year it aired, which makes an actual chronology placement... difficult.

Ultra Q took place in the 60s, Ultraman was a loose sequel that took place in the 90s. Ultra Seven was an unrelated series that took place in the 80s and then Return of Ultraman retconned all of it into one continuity and to hell with chronology.

SLICE
Yeah, it's why I didn't even try to touch that with a ten foot pole.

Heroes are forever
Oh, I see. I've always had this idea that Ultraman canon was... more organized.

SLICE
Oh, I see. I've always had this idea that Ultraman canon was... more organized.

It is...after Return of Ultraman.

Return of Ultraman brings everything together and keeps it going along pretty smoothly.

But you have to remember-UltraSeven wasn't an Ultraman. For the longest time, as in after episode 4 was filmed, he was known as Redman, no Ultra to it.

He was just another one of their giant heroes, like Fireman or Mirrorman.

But he happened to mention he was from M78, so he got to join the cool kids club no matter how badly that fucked the time line up.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
Burkion mostly got it although Ultra Q is technically the very first entry. Heisei Ultraseven does make references in past shows with monster pictures (with english names no less!) in the first movie that involves Pitt and Eleking, though the events that transpired.... It is more or less it's own continuity. Whether or not Ultra Q's movie and sequel series are canon or not I do not know nor have I seen. If I do see one/both I'll try to take note. Ultraseven X takes place in an alternate universe so there is no contradictions and therefore it can be placed in the main time line. When it comes to years with Ultraman and Seven, just assume they are present day when they aired and assume the technology was so advanced they decided to pretend it's the future.:laugh:Just don't expect to ever see so much as a mention of Ultraseven's Superior from episode 48 ever again.

Last edited: