Is it best that toei and bandai should cancel Kr and ss and make a new one?

Extended Alternate title :Is it best that toei and bandai should cancel both Kamen Rider and Super sentai franchise and create a new one a merger of both?

Look,I know what I am about to write is kind of stupid and ridiculous but the reason I am writing this is that,Since the current Kamen rider and super sentai franchise are now considered merchandise driven which focuses more on collectibles and almost didn't care about storytelling which is possibly due to Japan's financial problems,decline birth rate and stuff.

It made me wonder,Is it better that toei and bandai should cancel both Kamen Rider and Super sentai franchise and create a new one a merger of both.Now I know they still keeping airing them because of history and stuff but seeing more on those shows they almost seems less faithful to their predecessors and more on their own.I mean the Heisei kamen rider shows are no longer like their kamen rider predecessors they have just multi riders and gimmicks copying their brother franchise super sentai though they keep some of the franchise trademarks like rider kick and stuff.

Even People sometimes are not interested in Super sentai maybe because the Mechas are clunky like while devices today are smooth.I don't know.

Anyway my point is with both franchise are soon not going to be faithful like their predecessors (i think).Maybe its best that Bandai and toei should cancel both franchises and make a new one a merger of both consider this as "a Phoenix rising from the ashes"I mean think about a new franchise made by both toei and bandai to replace both of their tokusatsu franchise with a new one with elements of both heisei kamen riders and super sentai which will have multi heroes who should team up against a common threat ,Maybe it will be considered as a worthy successor to the previous metal hero shows the Rescue Police Series part that is.

And the franchises Kamen rider and super sentai will just be the new franchises predecessors which will be written in the shows official site.The concept of the new franchise will be based on the themes Bandai comes up with probably involving collectible gimmicks,Think about it with the new franchise ,Kids will be collecting gimmicks and figures based on the heroes and villains from the show of the new franchise they watched and it will be similar to what tomica did with Tomica Hero Series.

But Let's not cancel the Amazon prime kamen rider series and Super sentai series ? because they focus more on storytelling with less episodes and it's aired online.

God. Not this again.

However, without even reading the post, I do believe Super Sentai is within 5 years of being cancelled. Ratings are at the lowest they've ever been and are not recovering, we've had two massive toy sales failures in the last five years, and TV Asahi/Toei/Bandai proved twice earlier this year that they're willing to axe failing programming on TV Asahi's Sunday morning block and replace it with cheaper programming. Kamen Rider, on the other hand, is here to stay for the foreseeable future. It's still a consistent toy sales success, DVD and Blu-ray sales for new specials and movies are strong, ratings are bad but still manageable, and it'll be certainly easier for Toei to keep only one tokusatsu around.

The only thing keeping Sentai afloat right now is Power Rangers and if the movie next year flops (which it very well could), then that will be extremely damaging for the brand and for Saban.

Last edited:
Just because KR & Sentai have branched off from their predecessors doesn't mean they're not being fateful. Especially when they have to come up with new ideas just to make them relevant for today's fandom. At the same time, they also rake in money for both Toei & Bandai. If you cancel both franchises and replace them with something different, it won't have the same drawing power to where it will be a flop.

Last edited:
God. Not this again.

However, without even reading the post, I do believe Super Sentai is within 5 years of being cancelled. Ratings are at the lowest they've ever been and are not recovering, we've had two massive toy sales failures in the last five years, and TV Asahi/Toei/Bandai proved twice earlier this year that they're willing to axe failing programming on TV Asahi's Sunday morning block and replace it with cheaper programming. Kamen Rider, on the other hand, is here to stay for the foreseeable future. It's still a consistent toy sales success, DVD and Blu-ray sales for new specials and movies are strong, ratings are bad but still manageable, and it'll be certainly easier for Toei to keep only one tokusatsu around.

The only thing keeping Sentai afloat right now is Power Rangers and if the movie next year flops (which it very well could), then that will be extremely damaging for the brand and for Saban.

Yeah good point it seems the only thing these "cheap" shows keep running is through merchandise rather than tv ratings ,Probably the reason they don't use tv ratings despite that it's low because Japanese population is low with declining birth rates.Though I wonder why couldn't they air two tokusatsu shows on saturday nights back in the showa days it would have bring more ratings.

As for what you said about super sentai.Yes,I see what you mean with low merchandise it seems the franchise is about to be cancelled which is as i fear and the power rangers movie won't help anyway why because that movie is about to negative reviews and as a box office failure next year and will not make sequels causing nickelodeon to officially end contract with saban brands leaving the show to air on netflix and if it doesn't it's Curtains for the power rangers.

And yeah letting toei handle one toku franchise like kamen rider is good but it seems sad it's as if toei can't handle doing tv live action series anymore just like the decline of daytime soaps.

In your term, what is the meaning of being "faithful to their predecessors"?

It means trying to be faithful like the previous series but instead trying to be different which is okay at first but it's too much what ever happened to nostalgia.

Just because KR & Sentai have branched off from their predecessors doesn't mean they're not being fateful. Especially when they have to come up with new ideas just to make them relevant for today's fandom. At the same time, they also rake in money for both Toei & Bandai. If you cancel both franchises and replace them with something different, it won't have the same drawing power to where it will be a flop.

True but the reason i felt that both kamen rider and super sentai should end is because Super sentai is about to be cancelled as i mentioned earlier due to low merchandising ,The current kamen rider series again I mentioned isn't the earlier kamen rider series we watched many years they are different,I mean I know it's okay to be different but not too different i mean sure they include kicks and stuff with people mentioning the heroes as kamen riders but this isn't the same.Why couldn't they make kamen rider series have less episodes with just one hero for once i mean if they put too many episodes like 50 episodes again then they will put more multi riders with too many collectibles.

So I think these current heisei kamen rider series aren't the rider series we know from many years ago and now the producers want the franchise only for merchandising not storytelling and what happens next they will make commerical themed kamen rider like what happens to the ultraman franchise with a character called Nice : http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Ultraman_Nice_(character)

But at least Kamen rider amazon keeps focusing on the storytelling even though it's aimed for older audience and stuff.But the point is that I think it's better that both kamen rider and super sentai series should be cancelled and be replaced with a new one but will be considered combined fusion of SUper sentai and kamen rider based on the toyline/collectible gimmicks bandai thought of , That way young audience will be attracted to the new heroes.

Besides Kamen rider franchise is not Bandai's property they are not toys you know.I hope that perhaps if a anniversary series for the heisei kamen rider era comes maybe 2018 perhaps the next series probably entitled Kamen rider X-15 or something will return the same roots kuuga had like just one rider only battling enemies but not be considered as "riders" and no multi-riders , have non-powered allies to help him and receive the tone the one kuuga had.

I do believe Super Sentai is within 5 years of being cancelled. Ratings are at the lowest they've ever been and are not recovering, we've had two massive toy sales failures in the last five years, and TV Asahi/Toei/Bandai proved twice earlier this year that they're willing to axe failing programming on TV Asahi's Sunday morning block and replace it with cheaper programming.

I'd be very interested to see if this ends up panning out. At this point Sentai does seem to be just going through the motions without any real heart put into making it.

I'd be very interested to see if this ends up panning out. At this point Sentai does seem to be just going through the motions without any real heart put into making it.

Yeah but there is one last hope for super sentai to get its comeback like how carranger did.

Nostalgia can only get you so far.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney