One thing I've noticed is that Bioman gets showered with praise a lot when in my eyes it's run of the mill and surpassed by the two following series. I think a lot of it is Nostalgia Filter because they grew up watching it. I can't find any other reason.

One thing I've noticed is that Bioman gets showered with praise a lot when in my eyes it's run of the mill and surpassed by the two following series. I think a lot of it is Nostalgia Filter because they grew up watching it. I can't find any other reason.

I disagree. I watched the first seven episodes as a DUB and liked it. This, while I was in the middle of laughing my ass off at how stupid they sounded.

Sage, you misunderstood me. I never said Bioman was bad or anything. I'm just wondering why some say its the best sentai ever.

Would like to change his avatar
I hate whenever somebody prefers something old it just must mean that they're OLD TIMERS, STUCK IN THE PAST, WEARING NOSTALGIA SHADES. Ugh. Couldn't it just be...hey, the show was actually well made and good? With some of these shows, you need to put things in perspective. If you became a Sentai fan with the 32nd entry, when you go back and watch the eleventh show, you need to keep in mind things like effects limitation, the fact that there was just a different style of storytelling in television at the time, and what had all be done with the franchise by that point. You might see nothing special in, say, Maskman, but at the time it was kicking down some boundaries.

I do think Bioman is overrated, but it's not a bad show. It's Gekiranger of the '80s. It's a good show, but when people call Geki a "gem" or say sentai died after Bioman...I raise an eyebrow.

I think Bioman took some ideas from Denjiman and Sunvulcan, slammed 'em together, and improved upon some of the ideas. I think he Bio Planet has a more interesting background than the Denji Planet, and I find Dr. Man himself to be more interesting than any of the Black Magma characters. But this could be biased, since I think Hirohisa Soda is a better writer than Shozo Uehara.

For me, a big weakness of Bioman is the heroes. Red and Yellow get the focus, and they are good, but Blue's just sort of there, and Green and Pink have the misfortune of being played by who I consider to be the only poor actors to play a hero in the Showa shows.

They call her one-eye
It was the first ever sentai to hit the Philipines and became a gargantuan hit over there. My country and theres seems to have a huge impact on Americas views on toku, strangely enough, and helps mold the fandom.

Bioman was a classis to alot of Pinoys so it's ineviatable it gets that huge of a status, Kinda like Kamen rider Black and Flashman. We keep telling you guys how fricking awesome and amazing the shows are and then you guys see it and go "is that it?"

Bioman was pretty awesome though and tried to do something new and different atleast.

I hate whenever somebody prefers something old it just must mean that they're OLD TIMERS, STUCK IN THE PAST, WEARING NOSTALGIA SHADES. Ugh. Couldn't it just be...hey, the show was actually well made and good? With some of these shows, you need to put things in perspective. If you became a Sentai fan with the 32nd entry, when you go back and watch the eleventh show, you need to keep in mind things like effects limitation, the fact that there was just a different style of storytelling in television at the time, and what had all be done with the franchise by that point. You might see nothing special in, say, Maskman, but at the time it was busting down a lot of different doors.

I do think Bioman is overrated, but it's not a bad show. It's Gekiranger of the '80s. It's a good show, but when people call Geki a "gem" or say sentai died after Bioman...I raise an eyebrow.

I think Bioman took some ideas from Denjiman and Sunvulcan, slammed 'em together, and improved upon some of the ideas. I think he Bio Planet has a more interesting background than the Denji Planet, and I find Dr. Man himself to be more interesting than any of the Black Magma characters. But this could be biased, since I think Hirohisa Soda is a better writer than Shozo Uehara.

For me, a big weakness of Bioman is the heroes. Red and Yellow get the focus, and they are good, but Blue's just sort of there, and Green and Pink have the misfortune of being played by who I consider to be the only truly awful hero actors of the Showa shows.

Hey shougs, that just about sums up what I think. My first sentai I finished was Dynaman, before anyone says I'm jaded lol.

I marathoned the dubbed version of the show and freaking loved it. I don't remember one episode that I wasn't totally entertained by. The Bio Hunter is one of my favourite villians of all time, plus the theme song is just awesome.

I hate whenever somebody prefers something old it just must mean that they're OLD TIMERS, STUCK IN THE PAST, WEARING NOSTALGIA SHADES.

Depends on who it is. I can only take people so serious when EVERY NEW SERIES is garbage and almost every old series is the best thing ever.

Yeah, me too, actually. WTF.

I never said Bioman was bad or anything. I'm just wondering why some say its the best sentai ever.

Ah. My bad. Okay, your answer is: Yellow Four died.

Would like to change his avatar
Yellow Four wasn't the first sentai character to die, so it can't really be that. I think people just mostly dig that the Gear didn't have monsters of the week, but giant robots of the week. If mecha's your thing...Bioman might appeal to you more.

But the sad thing about Yellow Four's death is...writer Hirohisa Soda supposedly had big plans for the Mika character, she was meant to share the show with Gou/Red. And I thought she was pretty interesting, because she was the first Black Condor type of character in sentai where she was initially ambivalent about being a hero, and I thought that was pretty unique to do with a heroine.

But the actress dropped out, for whatever reason, and we then wind up with what I consider to be a pretty disappointing exit for the character. I know her departure was sudden, so they scrambled with what to do, but they could have made it a little more interesting. It just didn't have the dramatic impact for me that there should have been, just watching the suit and hearing some random seiyuu doing her voice.

Yellow Four wasn't the first sentai character to die, so it can't really be that. I think people just mostly dig that the Gear didn't have monsters of the week, but giant robots of the week. If mecha's your thing...Bioman might appeal to you more.

Yeah, but its the one that gets the most attention for it. I don't really mean to detract from Bioman as I loved what I saw of it (and if someone bothers to sub it I'll follow it diligently). Its just that when people talk about Bioman what's mentioned most often is the mecha bit, and Yellow Four's death. (Sadly.)

But the sad thing about Yellow Four's death is...writer Hirohisa Soda supposedly had big plans for the Mika character, she was meant to share the show with Gou/Red. And I thought she was pretty interesting, because she was the first Black Condor type of character in sentai where she was initially ambivalent about being a hero, and I thought that was pretty unique to do with a heroine.

But the actress dropped out, for whatever reason, and we then wind up with what I consider to be a pretty disappointing exit for the character. I know her departure was sudden, so they scrambled with what to do, but they could have made it a little more interesting. It just didn't have the dramatic impact for me that there should have been, just watching the suit and hearing some random seiyuu doing her voice.

So she didn't even do the voice for her character in episode 10?