I don't think its so much as "intended for Japanese audiences" but rather taking the lore and putting a Japanese spin on it and have it appeal to both regions.

That sounds pretty close, although I'd say Marvel initially came up with the premise and then consulted and contracted Madhouse, with Ellis writing the whole thing. Ellis probably over saw some of the production that went on already, he's probably calling some of the shots. So by the time a few episodes make it here during the production stages I'd say Ellis has probably already approved of at least some of them. But from what I can tell from SDCC it looks like it'll be a simultaneous release.

Although the localization of the lore is curi'ous in itself. Since its been proven in the past that Japan loves Marvel for what it already is, so why was it necessary? I mean I'm glad its something unique and different for once (funny that it happens to be a Marvel multiverse tale), but I don't think a drastic localization (more so Wolverine's part) was necessary for it to be successful in both regions.

From the original press release:

NEW YORK--As part of the company's aggressive strategy to grow the exposure of its character franchises in international markets, Marvel Entertainment, Inc. is partnering with Madhouse - one of the top Japanese animation studios in the world - to create brand new characters inspired by the Marvel Universe for the Japanese market.

Working closely with Marvel, Madhouse will produce cutting edge Japanese anime series based on Marvel's world-renowned character library for the Japanese market. The characters will be adapted visually, using the unique style of Japanese anime, and their back stories and histories will interweave the local culture and history of Japan, with an eye toward making their mythology more relevant to the Japanese audience. This collaboration will result in a completely new character base, which will eventually cross-over into the current Marvel Universe.

Madhouse is currently in production on the first of four new series (12 x 30 minutes), which are scheduled to launch in spring 2010. The initial series will feature characters including Iron Man and Wolverine, among others, and Madhouse will ultimately look to adapt the entire Marvel Universe, creating in essence a whole new character base for Marvel.

“We are incredibly excited to have this full collaboration with Marvel to create a completely new world that has never been done before in the Marvel Universe. This will be the first time there will be a full Japanese anime style for Marvel, and the Madhouse creative team is fully engaged to bring this to a worldwide audience,†said Jungo Maruta, president and CEO of Madhouse Inc.

The Marvel anime series will debut on ANIMAX, the first and largest 24-hour network dedicated to anime.

Animax is Japan's satellite anime network. I'm sure we'll get them eventually, but we'll get them in fansubs first.

The underlined part is what scares me.

From the original press release:

Animax is Japan's satellite anime network. I'm sure we'll get them eventually, but we'll get them in fansubs first.

The underlined part is what scares me.

I read it already and I interpreted it as putting a Japanese spin on the lore that can apply to both markets and not "Intended just for Japanese".

And doesn't Animax air in English in various countries? I have the channel on my TVU and Dish, and its dubbed in English.

Digital Artist
That trailer looked pretty cool. This series should be interesting mixed in with the Japanese culture. I wonder which villains will be used too. This deal with Marvel actually looks like it will be worth it.

Animax Asia will likely air this one..Hope that its subbed rather than being dubbed.

I read it already and I interpreted it as putting a Japanese spin on the lore that can apply to both markets and not "Intended just for Japanese".

And doesn't Animax air in English in various countries? I have the channel on my TVU and Dish, and its dubbed in English.

I believe it does in Australia and Asia. Unsure. I know neither the UK or US have the channel though.

I'm not saying it's just for the Japanese. Just that they're the primary audience in consideration.

I believe it does in Australia and Asia. Unsure. I know neither the UK or US have the channel though.

I'm not saying it's just for the Japanese. Just that they're the primary audience in consideration.

Thats probably the case then, although I'm positive that a U.S. channel will pick up all four almost immediately for a dub. From AX I've heard that Vic Mignogna wants to voice Wolverine for the new series, I thought he was referring to Wolverine and the X-Men as a replacement but I'm guessing that he's been aiming for this.

Well I suppose so, although it is curious why they chose to go with such a localization, more so in Wolverine's case. I've already heard rumors from the Marvel booth that the plot involves Wolverine not even being a mutant. Because like I said already its been proven that Japan loves Marvel for what it already is, they don't need it adapted to their culture for it to be a hit.

Last edited:
Chief HJU News Editor
I think Animax is on in Singapore. It was pretty awesome how you could switch between English or Japanese. Although there wasn't too mch content on it.

Bandito Shake Cometh
I've already heard rumors from the Marvel booth that the plot involves Wolverine not even being a mutant. Because like I said already its been proven that Japan loves Marvel for what it already is, they don't need it adapted to their culture for it to be a hit.

So the concept was to give a generic anime dude claws and the name Wolverine?