It's called Generic "Why Couldn't We Get a Normal Anime OP" rock song.

Extremis was high concept but also a revamp. This can't be ambitious in quite the same ways because it has to tie in with the films. (Also, everyone ended up hating Extremis. Last I checked, it had been retconned and blamed for Iron Man's unpopular behavior in Civil War.)

I don't think people HATED Extremis. I think people needed a way to undo Mark Millar writing Tony like an idiot for his 9/11 allegory, and something that changed Tony on such a fundamental level was the easiest way to accomplish that.

I'm still not sure how exactly they "undid" it anyway. Stark is still armoring up like he's got Star Trek tech.

The high concept I see here is Ellis musing on how a character like Tony Stark, who is a reformed arms dealer but at heart still kind of a weaponsmith, interacts with a society like Japan that hasn't had a real military in over 50 years.

For instance, Tony clearly wants to develop the Dio suit in Japan because he thinks, with no real standing military, he'll be free to act as with all his altruism without anyone trying to exploit his work. Japan is famously technology-forward, though, and how forward can you be with no military industrial complex?

I suspect that wanting to explore this theme is why we have a new villain group rather than any established Marvel group. I'm betting that Zodiac turns out to be a front for activities by the JSDF or some other group that wants Japan to have its own military again, with the need to fight Zodiac as an excuse.

Sounds fairly accurate. I'm sort of hoping, though, if it gets an S2, maybe we can see some of Tony's other villains. Crimson Dynamo, Living Laser, the Dreadnoughts--those things would be AWESOME in anime form.

Nice post!!
I think it's called "Activation."

I'm still not sure how exactly they "undid" it anyway. Stark is still armoring up like he's got Star Trek tech.

The Extremis nanites are explicitly no longer a part of Tony's body. The process of eliminating them also lead to him "losing all memory" of what he did in Civil War, since he had to restore his mind from a "backup copy." It happened in an issue of Fraction's Iron Man book.

The last Iron Man comics I read were using more movie-like armor. It's possible they're using the nanites in a more limited way in some books, though.

I think it's called "Activation."

The Extremis nanites are explicitly no longer a part of Tony's body. The process of eliminating them also lead to him "losing all memory" of what he did in Civil War, since he had to restore his mind from a "backup copy." It happened in an issue of Fraction's Iron Man book.

The last Iron Man comics I read were using more movie-like armor. It's possible they're using the nanites in a more limited way in some books, though.

Nah, he lost Extremis in Secret Invasion. Threw it up, which, anyone that's read Extremis realizes how stupid that is.

He lost his memory when he was erasing the SHRA database, which he stored in his mind. The back-up was created shortly before Civil War, so he has no memory of everything from Civil War up to the memory restore.

It's a neat trick, really. The events still happened, so the people who (for whatever reason) LIKED Tony as a Jerkface, get to have all the characters around Tony act like it still happened.

Those who "hated" it, can pretend "their Tony" would never have done that.

The new armor was displayed in Invincible Iron Man 25.
[HIDE]
invincibleironmanv50250.jpg
[/HIDE]

Looks..like Extremis, to me. Or ridiculous tech, either way.

Nice post!!
Wow. Even Iron Man comics are so complicated I can't understand them anymore.

Nice post!!
I don't know if it's getting older or what, but I read some of those comics and apparently just had a totally different understanding of what was happening than what was correct.

I don't know if it's getting older or what, but I read some of those comics and apparently just had a totally different understanding of what was happening than what was correct.
Well explaining Iron Man is still easier than War Machine, I think right now he is in a cloned body after spending a year as Micronaut-like cyborg which all of course happened after he was in-charge of the Sentinels.

I honestly have mixed feelings about this which is why I haven't watched it yet. For myself I think Ellis is a bad choice. Marvel as of late has been trying to push forward the view that their superheroes are actual heroes again which I seriously applaud but to be honest it hasn't been going that well. And I think getting Ellis to write what is probably going to be a rather decent bit of exposure for such a prominent hero is a mistake. Ellis is one of the most anti-superhero mainstream comic writers so getting him to write Tony Stark, a character that is naturally an asshole, as a hero is probably not a good idea. And if he isn't written as a hero then I am left to wonder why should I care. I mean honestly can we move past the morally ambiguous "heroes" trend. But more than anything I worried what he is going to do with the X-Men series. Astonishing has been a mess and I am still pissed he killed off Forge.