Im not straight but my boyfriend is
So I went to my school orientation today, and found out about what I needed as far as equipment/knives/uniform goes. I was supposed to get a list of these things in the mail, but guess what, I didn’t.

Anyways, I got the list of things I needed, and found out that I MUST have EVERYTHING or else I can’t attend the labs (in the kitchen) without it, or else I’ll be sent home and not be able to make up for it. And the labs count for a HUGE chunk of my mark. (Later, I will explain a problem I have).

So I went and got all my books ($350), and my student card (which took like an hour of standing in line), and my name tag ($14). I didn’t go and get a locker, which I’m thinking I’m going to have to do tomorrow ($20).

Then I went to this culinary equipment store to get my supplies. This place was HUGE and it had EVERYTHING. It was a paradise!!

This guy, who used to be a chef/is a crazy knife loving guy/is kinda full of himself, helped me to find everything I needed. Since this store gets A LOT of business from St. Clair, he knew EXACTLY what I needed, and I also got like…15% off everything, and 10% off sale items.

So, he helped me assemble my kit (which is all stored in a tool box lol), and then we started to look at knives. He began telling me all about all of these different brands of knives, which ones he liked, which ones he didn’t like, and so on and so forth. He also told me to hold each brand of Chef knife. He said, “ The knife picks the chef. You’ll KNOW when you’ve found the perfect knife for you.†And this is something I’ve often heard from chefs.

The knife I happened to pick was from Osaka Japan, and the brand is called GLOBAL ($156). He said, “ If you do anything, get a really high grade chefs knife, and then get lower grade knives for the rest of your kit, because you use your chef’s knife most often.â€

So I decided to get the Global knife, which is gorgeous. And when I got home, I wiki’d it and found this:

Global knives are used by such well known chefs as Susur Lee, Giada De Laurentiis and a number of the Iron Chefs on the original Iron Chef television series. Chef Anthony Bourdain, writing in Kitchen Confidential, recommends Global knives as a lightweight, easy to sharpen, and an inexpensive alternative to German-made knives. However, Global knives are just as expensive if not more so then the German brands he compares them too along with them being harder to sharpen as describe above.

And I was ECSTATIC. I KNOW those chefs! And they’re amongst my FAVOURITES!!!! I LOVE Anthony Bourdain, and Susur Lee, and the original Iron Chefs!! WHEEEE!!!! This made me SO giddy!!! *does cartwheels*

Anyways, I got all my kitchen equipment, and then most of my uniform…but (here's the problem I was talking about earlier) they didn’t have pants in my size…and it would take 2-3 weeks to order them in. I tried another place too, and they didn’t have my size either! Tomorrow I’m going to go try another place, I hope they have my size because I don’t want to miss my first lab which is on Tuesday! GAAH!

Anyways, I took some pics of my equipment and knives, and on Tuesday I’ll take a pic of me wearing my full uniform. WHOOOO!!

[HIDE]So I went to my school orientation today, and found out about what I needed as far as equipment/knives/uniform goes. I was supposed to get a list of these things in the mail, but guess what, I didn’t.

Anyways, I got the list of things I needed, and found out that I MUST have EVERYTHING or else I can’t attend the labs (in the kitchen) without it, or else I’ll be sent home and not be able to make up for it. And the labs count for a HUGE chunk of my mark. (Later, I will explain a problem I have).

So I went and got all my books ($350), and my student card (which took like an hour of standing in line), and my name tag ($14). I didn’t go and get a locker, which I’m thinking I’m going to have to do tomorrow ($20).

Then I went to this culinary equipment store to get my supplies. This place was HUGE and it had EVERYTHING. It was a paradise!!

This guy, who used to be a chef/is a crazy knife loving guy/is kinda full of himself, helped me to find everything I needed. Since this store gets A LOT of business from St. Clair, he knew EXACTLY what I needed, and I also got like…15% off everything, and 10% off sale items.

So, he helped me assemble my kit (which is all stored in a tool box lol), and then we started to look at knives. He began telling me all about all of these different brands of knives, which ones he liked, which ones he didn’t like, and so on and so forth. He also told me to hold each brand of Chef knife. He said, “ The knife picks the chef. You’ll KNOW when you’ve found the perfect knife for you.†And this is something I’ve often heard from chefs.

The knife I happened to pick was from Osaka Japan, and the brand is called GLOBAL ($156). He said, “ If you do anything, get a really high grade chefs knife, and then get lower grade knives for the rest of your kit, because you use your chef’s knife most often.â€

So I decided to get the Global knife, which is gorgeous. And when I got home, I wiki’d it and found this:

Global knives are used by such well known chefs as Susur Lee, Giada De Laurentiis and a number of the Iron Chefs on the original Iron Chef television series. Chef Anthony Bourdain, writing in Kitchen Confidential, recommends Global knives as a lightweight, easy to sharpen, and an inexpensive alternative to German-made knives. However, Global knives are just as expensive if not more so then the German brands he compares them too along with them being harder to sharpen as describe above.

And I was ECSTATIC. I KNOW those chefs! And they’re amongst my FAVOURITES!!!! I LOVE Anthony Bourdain, and Susur Lee, and the original Iron Chefs!! WHEEEE!!!! This made me SO giddy!!! *does cartwheels*

Anyways, I got all my kitchen equipment, and then most of my uniform…but (here's the problem I was talking about earlier) they didn’t have pants in my size…and it would take 2-3 weeks to order them in. I tried another place too, and they didn’t have my size either! Tomorrow I’m going to go try another place, I hope they have my size because I don’t want to miss my first lab which is on Tuesday! GAAH!

Anyways, I took some pics of my equipment and knives, and on Tuesday I’ll take a pic of me wearing my full uniform. WHOOOO!!

[/HIDE]
No ball whisk, Faded? If you can find one, grab it - you'll be happy you did.

I dig the knives. Happy slicing! :castlerock1:

In Justice, We Trust!
Now you can run around saying

"FEAR MY RUBBER SPATULA OF DOOM!":sparta!:

DSP

Lurker
With that knife you pick up the will of previous Iron Chefs before you!!! Damn you chose good XD My Dad's knife looks nowhere as impressive, but he can make a mean flower from a carrot.

When I read Faded was showing off her tools, I was half-expecting something else.

But sounds like culinary school is gonna be great for you! :)

In Justice, We Trust!
You know Fadded, you should TOTALLY go on The Next Food Network Star when you've graduated.

Im not straight but my boyfriend is
OverdrivePrime said:
No ball whisk, Faded? If you can find one, grab it - you'll be happy you did.

Hey that looks SWEET! I have one that's like...a flat, wire circle on the end. If you've ever seen Nigella Lawson's shows, you've probably seen her use one, but that's for my home collection.

I'll more than likley pick up more as I go through my course...I've got a weakess for kitchen tools. V_V

Dark Kabuto said:
"FEAR MY RUBBER SPATULA OF DOOM!"

I don't know if I can DO much with a rubber spatula...maybe some spanking. :169:

Forever 6th Ranger said:
I'm scared naw *shivers*
the knives... ._.

I LOVE knives. I like looking at them and using them, even if I don't know much about them.

Shadow Scythe said:
With that knife you pick up the will of previous Iron Chefs before you!!!

I wish I could inherit the talent from the Iron Chefs!!

Takuya said:
When I read Faded was showing off her tools, I was half-expecting something else.

Well, I DO keep all my sex toys catalagued....

Dark Kabuto said:
You know Fadded, you should TOTALLY go on The Next Food Network Star when you've graduated.

No one wants to see me on tv! LOLOLOL. It would be pretty bad, I think.