I've been on a kaiju kick lately. I've been dusting off my old DVDs and videos for some monster goodness. I have watched Gamera the Brave frequenlty and would stan it 4eva and eva!!! I squealed with joy upon finding a website that had most of the Gamera films...and shrieked in rage when a few I desperately wanted to see go to expired links.

I'm halfway through Godzilla the Series and enjoy it greatly, especially the amusing HEAT team which gives off a nakama-ish vibe.

I've seen a few of the Godzilla movies and plan to see more after exams. I like a few of the human characters like Miki Saegusa. I enjoy the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy for all the shinyness and the potentially interesting plot points that weren't well executed. I love all the monsters. Yes, this includes Minya/Minilla (Though mostly for the intriguing image of him and Godzilla Jr. being siblings).

Basically this is a post to stan about your favorite stuff about the Kaiju genre. Even Serious Business Analysis(TM) is allowed, since that can be fun too (Oh, all the stuff I like about Gamera the Brave).

Anyway...that's all. I need to head to bed before I weird you all out further.

Ishiro Honda said:
"Monsters are born too tall, too strong, too heavy...that is their tragedy."
:buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

...that's all I have to say. Daikaiju fan before anything else.:thumbs:

PS: Fan of Oodako, Ookondoru, Rodan, Anguirus, King Seesar, and Biollante's Rose Form

"Monsters are born too tall, too strong, too heavy...that is their tragedy."

This quote makes me think about Godzilla befriending other monsters. In the showa era and various other incarnations where he had monster allies, did that help make life easier?

And this makes me sad for Gamera, who doesn't have any monster allies. At all. If there are more Gamera movies, maybe Toto can be one. The Garasharp young could be this as well, though it would be so awkward if they found out Gamera killed their mother.

I love Mothra in all her/his incarnations. Their wings are so rainbowy and attacks so shiny. Plus her priestesses songs are pretty. I'd be the weird dude who sang along with them.

Anguirus I adore muchly and ship harder than hard with Godzilla. Oops, accidental innuendo! Or was it...

I like Rodan and especially when he was a protective BB to Junior.

Oodako, Ookondoru, and King Caesar are cool in that they don't fall under the "Lizards, Dinos, and Bugs OH MY" category that most Kaiju fall under. The former two are kind of weak, so they would probably need a Power Upgrade to be substantial threats in future films.

Biollante is love. I remember when I was a kid putting a flower petal under a microscope in imitation to the movie. I might have tried to combine it with something but I barely remember doing this as it is. And I think I vaguely ship Biollante and Rodan.

My favorite antagonists were SpaceGodzilla and Megaguirus. Interestingly, it was a while before I saw any of those films. SpaceGodzilla looked KEWL and Megaguirus being a dragonfly mutant hit my interest button HARD.

I like Guilala from The X From Outer Space. He was silly looking but he was original looking and I like original monsters. I also like the Gappa.

On the Gamera side, I like both him and Toto. Guiron is cool and Space Gyaos is so SILVERY AND SHINY! Barugon shoots RAINBOWS from his back. And I like Zedus.

There are probably more but they are the ones that came to my head.

Fighting evil makes me thirsty
I've gotten more into kaiju here recently. I've got every single Gamera film except for Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris and I'll be snagging that one when it comes out on Blu-ray later this year. :thumbs:

Gamera is pretty underrated. It seems the Big G (I really don't have to give his name do I? :laugh:) always steals his thunder. Granted, Godzilla films are generally a little more serious than Gamera's but they're still very enjoyable for me. I think that lots of folks are turned off by the kid-friendliness of the Gamera films and the ultra-kawaii Gamera march theme.

I've picked up some stuff I haven't got around to watching yet (Rodan and The War of the Gargantuas). As soon as I get some more time I'll be watching those. I'm especially excited about The War of the Gargantuas.

This quote makes me think about Godzilla befriending other monsters. In the showa era and various other incarnations where he had monster allies, did that help make life easier?

The significance of Honda's quote is that the monsters deserved to have their own personality; compared to what the US usually does, Japanese Monsters tend to have a personality of their own and are not necessarily evil. And the fact, Godzilla had willingness to team up with other monsters and humanity to fight a common foe tends to portray Godzilla with a more complex personality.

I love Mothra in all her/his incarnations. Their wings are so rainbowy and attacks so shiny. Plus her priestesses songs are pretty. I'd be the weird dude who sang along with them.

BOO!!! I hate her. I know she's trying to appeal to the female audience, but dang, it made it feel like all the other daikaiju from the TOHO universe insignificant; not to mention she scores the most victories against Godzilla to the point that Hardcore Holly started slamming Godzilla on WWF Magazine, stating that "GODZILLA LOST TO A SISSY BUTTERFLY.":shakefist

Anguirus I adore muchly and ship harder than hard with Godzilla. Oops, accidental innuendo! Or was it...

I like Rodan and especially when he was a protective BB to Junior.

Oodako, Ookondoru, and King Caesar are cool in that they don't fall under the "Lizards, Dinos, and Bugs OH MY" category that most Kaiju fall under. The former two are kind of weak, so they would probably need a Power Upgrade to be substantial threats in future films.

Biollante is love. I remember when I was a kid putting a flower petal under a microscope in imitation to the movie. I might have tried to combine it with something but I barely remember doing this as it is. And I think I vaguely ship Biollante and Rodan.

The main reason why I love monsters that some people hate for the following reasons:

-Oodaku and Ookondoru, I loved them not only because they were plain, but King Kong vs. Godzilla and Godzilla vs. the Sea Monsters demonstrated SFX at its most basic. Oodaku was actually 4 real live octopi (one got eaten by Honda himself...LOL), while Ookondoru was a marionette and pitting them against a suitmation actor. As clunky as it looked, it demonstrates how Toho tried many things to do Daikaiju.

-Biollante's Rose Form I liked better than the final form mainly because, the Rose Form represented Biollante's Humanity. Not to mention it's willingness to fight despite the fact Godzilla was far more stronger than her.

-Rodan, Anguirus, and King Seesar I loved them as allies, and was happy that Godzilla decided to spare them in Final Wars. In addition, their willingness to fight Mechagodzilla despite losing. Afterall, Mothra might have scored the most wins against Godzilla, Mechagodzilla is the one that actually succeeded in almost killing Godzilla.

Gamera is pretty underrated. Granted, Godzilla films are generally a little more serious than Gamera's but they're still very enjoyable for me. I think that lots of folks are turned off by the kid-friendliness of the Gamera films and the ultra-kawaii Gamera march theme.

Gamera is pretty tricky. People hate the Showa yet state the Heisei Gamera was better than any of the Godzilla Movies. Gamera the Brave (which is the only Millenium movie thus far) was trying to balance between the Showa and Heisei.

As for the March of Gamera, the song came up as very obnoxious to me for some reason. Didn't feel kiddie, yet it felt like SNL obnoxiouness.:sly:

I've picked up some stuff I haven't got around to watching yet (Rodan and The War of the Gargantuas). As soon as I get some more time I'll be watching those. I'm especially excited about The War of the Gargantuas.

May I recommend Yog/The Space Amoeba? It's like a daikaiju version of John Carpenter's The Thing.

Fighting evil makes me thirsty
~snip

Gamera is pretty tricky. People hate the Showa yet state the Heisei Gamera was better than any of the Godzilla Movies. Gamera the Brave (which is the only Millenium movie thus far) was trying to balance between the Showa and Heisei.

As for the March of Gamera, the song came up as very obnoxious to me for some reason. Didn't feel kiddie, yet it felt like SNL obnoxiouness.:sly:

May I recommend Yog/The Space Amoeba? It's like a daikaiju version of John Carpenter's The Thing.
Heisei Gamera is great. I'm especially pumped for Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris coming to Blu-ray because I never caught the DVD release of it and have yet to see it. And honestly...the Gamera March isn't my thing either. :laugh: I love Gamera, but that theme...wow.

I do have to admit that Showa Gamera can be...pretty campy at times. Overall, they're enjoyable films but I think part of that joy comes from some of the cheesy/corny moments.

I have actually considered getting Space Amoeba. I've got quite a few things on my "To Buy" list including Frankenstein Conquers the World, Atragon, Varan, Dogora, and a few others. Hopefully I'll get my hands on those soon. :thumbs:

Gamera is pretty underrated. It seems the Big G (I really don't have to give his name do I? :laugh:) always steals his thunder. Granted, Godzilla films are generally a little more serious than Gamera's but they're still very enjoyable for me. I think that lots of folks are turned off by the kid-friendliness of the Gamera films and the ultra-kawaii Gamera march theme.

Probably. Kiddie = bad, though many of the films aren't perfect.

I think Gamera The Brave balanced the tone between the Heisei and Showa era. If you haven't seen it, I encourage it. Though some things that make Gamera Gamera are taken out like his roar, it's still a good movie. I watched it with my mom last Saturday. Her gasp to surprises like Zedus's appearance were fun to watch.

I also have a theory Gamera had a series of his own because he was quite unique to all the other Godzilla Follow the Leaders.

I've watched the first three Gamera movies. The first one was enjoyable though they completely dropped the ball with his fondness for kids aspect. Toshio kept appearing therafter and I was expecting Gamera to show fondness for him again and the main scientist to be all but bursting in excitement at the revelation.

Barugon was fun and Onodera very bad. Though the Japanese actors wearing the New Guinea equivalent to Blackface was so freaking cringeworthy I can't even.

Gyaos had the dub actors try to do the stereotypical Asian accent, which was also cringeworthy. So was the mixed message about the highway being built through the village and the angry land owners. At least the kid in this film, Eiichi, popped up every now and then to supply brainwaves for the scientists. Someone give this clever kid a scholarship to a good school! He and Toshio can become the Kaiju Scientist Duo!

Sanda and Gaira are interesting monsters. Hope you like them. ::thumbs::

The significance of Honda's quote is that the monsters deserved to have their own personality; compared to what the US usually does, Japanese Monsters tend to have a personality of their own and are not necessarily evil. And the fact, Godzilla had willingness to team up with other monsters and humanity to fight a common foe tends to portray Godzilla with a more complex personality.

Ah, that makes sense. The Rodan's Roost website has a section for each monster where their personality is explained. As a character-driven type of writer, I love the site (Though it sadly doesn't update anymore, so no profiles of the Final Wars monsters, Toto and Zedus, or the Television monsters which would most likely include Ultraman).

BOO!!! I hate her. I know she's trying to appeal to the female audience, but dang, it made it feel like all the other daikaiju from the TOHO universe insignificant; not to mention she scores the most victories against Godzilla to the point that Hardcore Holly started slamming Godzilla on WWF Magazine, stating that "GODZILLA LOST TO A SISSY BUTTERFLY."

Eeh, don't let the people who are all "Girly character = Bad; Manly character who gets beaten by Girly character = BADDER THAN BAD" get to you. Plus I think it's nice that a girly kaiju can go toe to toe with the King of the Monsters and give him a good challenge. Though she has the habit of dying a lot and no other male kaiju I recall does that.

As for making other monsters look insignificant, I'm the type who blames the writers, not the characters. Though Anguirus going against impossible odds and surviving is his main charm point.

-Oodaku and Ookondoru, I loved them not only because they were plain, but King Kong vs. Godzilla and Godzilla vs. the Sea Monsters demonstrated SFX at its most basic. Oodaku was actually 4 real live octopi (one got eaten by Honda himself...LOL), while Ookondoru was a marionette and pitting them against a suitmation actor. As clunky as it looked, it demonstrates how Toho tried many things to do Daikaiju.

Ooh, interesting. I hope more interesting kaiju like that appear in the future.

-Biollante's Rose Form I liked better than the final form mainly because, the Rose Form represented Biollante's Humanity. Not to mention it's willingness to fight despite the fact Godzilla was far more stronger than her.

I can see your point and also add a different reason: the rose head was a bit unique while the dino head, while terrifying, made her a bit more generic (So many mutated dinos!).

-Rodan, Anguirus, and King Seesar I loved them as allies, and was happy that Godzilla decided to spare them in Final Wars. In addition, their willingness to fight Mechagodzilla despite losing. Afterall, Mothra might have scored the most wins against Godzilla, Mechagodzilla is the one that actually succeeded in almost killing Godzilla.

I don't think Rodan fought - Oh, you mean MechaGodzilla II.

Yes, I loved that he spared them, thought storywise it was probably random.

Seconded. Plus Kameobas/Kamebas/Whats-His-Name cameoed in Tokyo SOS as a washed up corpse. Originally supposed to be Anguirus, but they wisely changed their decision.

I do have to admit that Showa Gamera can be...pretty campy at times. Overall, they're enjoyable films but I think part of that joy comes from some of the cheesy/corny moments.

Yeah, I love them for what they are. Sandy Frank tried to do their best, but given the era and the censorship criteria. Then again, if the entire Showa Era is featured on MST3K...it's good for comedic effect, but bad for the daikaiju genre overall; mainly because its presented in a negative light at the expense of the Showa Era's effects, music, and dialog.

I mean..."STAY BACK OR I'LL FEED THE CHILDREN TO THE DOLPHINS!!!"

...ngh...nnnnnnnnnnot a good way to dub, yo.:sly:

Probably. Kiddie = bad, though many of the films aren't perfect.

I think Gamera The Brave balanced the tone between the Heisei and Showa era. If you haven't seen it, I encourage it. Though some things that make Gamera Gamera are taken out like his roar, it's still a good movie. I watched it with my mom last Saturday. Her gasp to surprises like Zedus's appearance were fun to watch.

I also have a theory Gamera had a series of his own because he was quite unique to all the other Godzilla Follow the Leaders.

...and to think I still laugh at the rumor in the 90s where Disney showed interest in doing an American Gamera movie.:laugh:

...btw...Ayako Fujitani, who played Asagi Kusanagi from the Heisei Gamera series, is the daughter of Steven Seagal.

Eeh, don't let the people who are all "Girly character = Bad; Manly character who gets beaten by Girly character = BADDER THAN BAD" get to you. Plus I think it's nice that a girly kaiju can go toe to toe with the King of the Monsters and give him a good challenge. Though she has the habit of dying a lot and no other male kaiju I recall does that.

As for making other monsters look insignificant, I'm the type who blames the writers, not the characters. Though Anguirus going against impossible odds and surviving is his main charm point.

Still other Toho monsters having their own movie would've been cool, but the Mothra Trilogy, as good as they were, made it feel like she was stealing the spotlight after Godzilla's destruction in 1995.

I would've love to see a secondary G-Monster get the spotlight, whether it'd be...I dunno...I would love to see an Anguirus, Rodan, and King Seesar team up like what they did in Final Wars.:castlerock:

Ooh, interesting. I hope more interesting kaiju like that appear in the future.

Another thing I like about Oodako and Ookondoru is...

Oodaku was presented as a "berry loving octopus" and not a meat eater. Yes, he threw around villagers, but did not eat them. Then again, he beat Frankenstein, but it was the suitmation version of it, which I hated.:redface2:

Ookondoru, I found him pecking Godzilla's head very hilarious, so at least it tried to fight and when Godzilla nailed him with the Atomic Ray, the way he crashed was funny.

Furthermore, it was rumored that it was suppose to be King Kong vs. Ebriah; so I believe that Oodaku and Ookondoru were suitable monsters at one point were considered for Final Wars.

Yes, I loved that he spared them, thought storywise it was probably random.

Actually, there was a storyboard where Godzilla does kill them, but I'm glad that Ryuhei Kitamura dropped that idea; not to mention not having a suitable budget to shoot helps too.

Not to mention one of the best daikaiju scenes...EVER!!!:castlerock:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45bhYranXdw"]YouTube - [Godzilla - Final Wars] Godzilla's biggest WTF moment[/ame]

I mean..."STAY BACK OR I'LL FEED THE CHILDREN TO THE DOLPHINS!!!"

Someone pointed out on TVTropes that the orcas the threatener references as dolphins had a history of killing people in domestication.

Gamera's next enemy. An orca kaiju!

...and to think I still laugh at the rumor in the 90s where Disney showed interest in doing an American Gamera movie.:laugh:

*confused* I'm confused by how what I said inspired this recollection.

...btw...Ayako Fujitani, who played Asagi Kusanagi from the Heisei Gamera series, is the daughter of Steven Seagal.

*wikis* Oh, that's right. I'm not more shocked because the only thing I know about Steve Seagal is that he exists.

Still other Toho monsters having their own movie would've been cool, but the Mothra Trilogy, as good as they were, made it feel like she was stealing the spotlight after Godzilla's destruction in 1995.

Maybe they were experimenting with spinoffs and decided to go with Mothra to test the market (Though they weren't so cautious when changing a couple things about Mothra's mythos).

I would've love to see a secondary G-Monster get the spotlight, whether it'd be...I dunno...I would love to see an Anguirus, Rodan, and King Seesar team up like what they did in Final Wars.:castlerock:

The only spinoffs I can see happening is for monsters that starred in their own movies. Rodan, um...I'm blanking out on the rest.

Interesting stuff about Oodako and Ookondoru.

Actually, there was a storyboard where Godzilla does kill them, but I'm glad that Ryuhei Kitamura dropped that idea; not to mention not having a suitable budget to shoot helps too.

Not to mention one of the best daikaiju scenes...EVER!!!:castlerock:

YouTube - [Godzilla - Final Wars] Godzilla's biggest WTF moment

Godzilla playing soccer with Anguirus is full of lulz.

Also, Rodan's fall to the ground looks strangely claymation-ish!

Edit: *glances at the post above in confusion* Is newspring a spambot?

Someone pointed out on TVTropes that the orcas the threatener references as dolphins had a history of killing people in domestication.

Gamera's next enemy. An orca kaiju!

We haven't got our Garasharp movie yet and after the Koreans doing D-War-Dragon War, not to mention all the Giant Snake movies made as SyFy Original Movies...you'd think we'd get a turtle/cobra battle already.:shakefist

Speaking of Orca Kaiju, they recreated Moby Dick as a mutated Sperm Whale Monster.:sly:

CURSE YOU SYFY ORIGINALS!!!:shakefist

*confused* I'm confused by how what I said inspired this recollection.

Any talk of Gamera reminds me about that. As the rest of the rumor went, it would of starred Leslie Nielsen...:laugh:

R.I.P. "Airplane"/"Naked Gun" dude

Maybe they were experimenting with spinoffs and decided to go with Mothra to test the market (Though they weren't so cautious when changing a couple things about Mothra's mythos).

Honestly, I wouldn't put it past them to put all the Mothra Eras into one continuity, it kinda fits compared to Godzilla's background which constantly changes.

The only spinoffs I can see happening is for monsters that starred in their own movies. Rodan, um...I'm blanking out on the rest.

Rodan fighting Megaguirus would've been cool. It would be a throw back to the 50s flick. Afterall, Rodan did eat him.:sweat:

Anguirus never had his own movie nor did King Seesaw (HAIL CAESAR!!! Friends, Kaiju...lend me your ears.:laugh:). Ironically, Godzilla's Counterattack (aka Gigantis the Fire Monster) was the last of the Godzilla movies I finally got to see...BANANA OIL!:shakefist