In A New York Minute Movie Review

Administrator
Staff member
How many movies in film history have been made about the New York City experience? Some might say too many. The perils of life in The Big Apple is well worn territory with each new production that dares to use NYC as a backdrop approaching parody at every turn. This is what makes Ximan Li’s In A New York Minute movie so refreshing. The film presents a new perspective, combined with fantastic performances and beautiful cinematography that gives talented Asian performers the spotlight.
IANYM_GRAVITAS_new-1200x1680.jpg
While the structure of In A New York Minute uses the time tested storytelling technique of parallel lives intersecting after individual vignettes take us through the plight of each character, the film forges it’s own path and manages to use this structure in a way that doesn’t feel rote or outside the ability of the filmmaker. It should be noted that In A New York Minute was produced by a predominantly female...

Continue reading...

Blinding Lights
The movie have a gloomy feel to it but I understand because New York can be a depressing place to live on. It is refreshing to see Ludi Lin in a movie where he doesn't need to do Martial Arts. He is a romantic lead instead.

Finally a movie that portrays the Asian American experience. No one is a stereotype and we get to see them as people and not some diversity casting token.

What does the Fox say?
Staff member
Oh wow! Yes there have been a bazillion movies about New York City and I've probably watched most, if not all of them. This one I would want to watch because of the vignette format and the question "Love or Freedom". But the expression, "a New York minute" is something my mother used to say all the time. I don't know why. We lived in Florida. I would watch this movie just for that reason alone.

Kay

I love films about the Asian American experience. So familiar yet so foreign, I really Don't know why China hates Asian American films.