Administrator
Staff member
The word Selfie is invented during 2005 but it became a word widely used by everyone during 2010. I remember when people kept talking about Selfies, I thought they are talking about Selphie from Final Fantasy 8. Then when I talked to them about Final Fantasy 8 they got confused..... Geez that made me feel old.

Suddenly I had seen this meme and everything goes full circle.:D
selphie-bitches_o_3024091.webp

Oh I had seen these fanarts of Selphie doing a selfie.
selphie_taking_a_selfie__by_outadimes-d8z1onl.png

yeah____by_nebezial-d8nutdl.jpg

For the Ultimate Coincidence, In the ending of Final Fantasy 8, Selphie did have a Selfie long before Camera phones, social media and the word selfie got invented.

cb8V2kjikaTXHs5qE0dAK90ME7zQQA__c72I8VrtMaM.jpg

Administrator
Staff member
I also got confused the first time I heard people saying the word Selfie because I also thought they are talking about Selphie.

It is funny how I keep learning something new every time I'm on this forum. Selfie is that old?

I thought I am the only one confused by the world selfie when it came out of nowhere. I also really though people are talking about Selphie.

Woah! That's where selfie comes from? *mind=blown*

Haha, I have heard a lot of tales and stories about who used the word selfie first. My favorite is that a drunk Australian guy invented it, after a drunkin night(2002)out at a friends 21st birthday party- he had fell and landed on his lip, first on some steps- and this caused a hole in his bottom lip. He said- "sorry about the focus it was a selfie" ! I think it became a real word in 2013, and was added to the Oxford Dictionary.

Last edited:
Haha, I have heard a lot of tales and stories about who used the word selfie first. My favorite is that a drunk Australian guy invented it, after a drunkin night(2002)out at a friends 21st birthday party- he had fell and landed on his lip, first on some steps- and this caused a hole in his bottom lip. He said- "sorry about the focus it was a selfie" ! I think it became a real word in 2013, and was added to the Oxford Dictionary.
This is news to me but I'm not really surprised cause I know I'm to go looking for where the word came from, I might find a dozen on stories out there concerning the origin of the word 'selfie'