When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
Metalder all the fucking way

It's honestly probably one of the best Toku that I've seen in a very long while next to Ryuki & Dragon Knight

Something new and something recent? Well, if we're talking about post-Decade and post-Shinkenger stuff, I'd say the only must-sees would be Kamen Rider W and Gokaiger.

Of course, you can always watch some of the good ole older stuff. Like, Liveman has subs now. And that show is amazing. :) Though then again, I dunno what you've seen and what you haven't seen. :p

Kamen Riders Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade and W.

Ultraman Tiga, Dyna, Gaia, Nexus, and Moebius.

Flashman, Liveman, Jetman, Dairanger, Timeranger, Gaoranger.

Juspion, Spielban, Metalder, Jiban, Janperson, both B-Fighters.

Others: Garo, Keitai Sousakan 7, Byclosser.

Hey, I didn't know you liked Gaoranger. :)

Mad Skillz
I would say Kamen Rider W is a really great series, it has a few quirks not everyone is going to like, but for the most part it, it feels like one of those series where the crew behind it had an idea of where it was going to end. It's the first time in ages that I watched an episode in the 40s and found myself thinking back to how little elements from earlier episodes are actually coming together to form part of the greater story. Plus, if you end up liking it, there's a lot of extra material to watch, five movies and they're all really good. Well, two of them are short movies, at around 30 minutes each, but what's great about W is that the movies here actually benefit the series. The first movie explains backstory for some of the major elements, the third movie explains more backstory and works as a nice bookend to the series, but we still get two more movies after that and they do a great job at expanding the world. I especially love the Kamen Rider Accel movie because it's the first time we get such a long look at what a Rider's world is like after their series has ended.

Liveman is really great as well, it's an older Sentai that was just recently finished. You can find those subs from a group called Grown Ups in Spandex. (they're also doing Jetman now)

If you're looking for more recent Sentai, Shinkenger might tickle your fancy, it's not my favorite, but I can see why people like it.

Goseiger and Gokaiger are also good shows, admittedly, they've both got pretty huge flaws. Goseiger suffers from inconsistent characterization, a pretty bad cast save for a few members, and core characters that people often felt were a little too sanitized, despite the show's flaws, I'm still a huge fan of it and think it's given us the best Red in who knows how long. Gokaiger sort of throws these "GARBADASS" characters at you, so it's sort of the opposite problem that Goseiger had, though they both suffer from this...inability to really make the villains have any sort of presence throughout the series save for the big episodes. Gokaiger's one of those shows that only gives you a handful of great episodes in the first 30 episodes, basically one of those "It gets better after XX amount of episodes!" shows. The characters are...eh, they can be unlikable at times, but they're certainly not the worst bunch of characters we've had in a while, though I think they suffer from major underdevelopment, but the most recent episodes are sort of changing that. I genuinely feel that 28 is the episode where it becomes a pretty consistently good show, I've only disliked episodes 29 and 45 since then.

Outside of Sentai, Rescue Fire is a really fun show that comes together to have a rather meaningful idea behind its villains. Keitai Sosakan 7 is also the best tokusatsu show that's aired since it came on, though it isn't a transforming hero show, it's more of a mystery show with some funky directing and great characters.

Aronbafon
Garo. There's a lot to work with as well.

Season 1 - 25 Episodes
Beast of the Midnight Sun - Movie
Red Requiem - Movie
Kiba Dark Knight Gaiden - "Mini Movie"
Season 2, Makai Senki - 15, almost 16 (Subs not out yet) episodes

Minato Ascending
Kamen Rider W
GARO
Magiranger

I'll refrain from suggesting Gokaiger because it's not finished yet, same with Fourze. I'm also in the process of watching Ultraman Mebius but so far it's pretty good.

Last edited:
Hey, I didn't know you liked Gaoranger. :)

I only recently finished it. It's not among Sentai's best but it's pretty decent. Maybe reading Monkey at the same time let me appreciate the folklore background a bit more and see the mechas more as spirits/holy beings in animal form than "giant animals that happen to combine, look metallic and have magic powers". I also liked the contrast from its PR counterpart in the lack of some ancient civilization and less emphasis on environmentalism (Except for Futaro's rant that really seems trivial when you take into account what he is. You'd think man's inhumanity toward man would tick him off more.)

I also watched this right after Zyuranger, so in some ways I think it's an improvement as far as the characters go. (Speaking of, is Oogami is the only "hero from another time or place" character other than Timeranger and Goseiger to actually change into present-day clothes?) Each Highness Duke had a unique personality that I didn't really expect, and would fit well in an ordinary folktale. Shuten is bloodthirsty, Ura steals to adorn himself, and Rasetsu devours things. Ura's arc is the best of the three, though I don't think Rasetsu's is as 180 degree-turn comedy-heavy as some imply.

Friendship and the Cosmos.
I think Kamen Rider OOO should be something you should check out. I think as a whole the series is one of the better Kamen Rider's we have had in recent years, with its incredible acting and its combination of absolutely zany (but interesting) characters as well as lovable awesome characters. Pacing is a bit of an issue, but it's a great series, and definitely worth a check.