How to be different from people who review Tokusatsu...

As a lot of you people know from my posts I'm starting my Tokusatsu-review comedy webshow that I can officially announce will be called "The Toku Advisor."

However, I've been checking out this pretty-well known reviewer called EZ Rider of "Toku Time" who reviews a lot of the stuff I plan on reviewing such as Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Power Rangers, Ultraman, etc. and I've started to worry if I'm too late to try to start reviewing Toku and I'm worried that I might be compared to them and seem unoriginal since I'm talking about the same thing that EZ Rider is talking about.

So, my question is: What can I do that's different from EZ Rider and other reviewers? What kind of format and techniques I could use to not be compared to them?

Oh, and a side question: Do you guys even like EZ Rider's "Toku Time" reviews? And other reviewers that you like an dislike?

Budou though
If reviewing a toy, you could go deeper into detail about it. Most reviewers don't/forget small details.

Well, I'm not reviewing toys...I'm strictly reviewing the Toku source material from an American standpoint and I'll only use toys as weapons to use on my show.

So, pretty much I'm asking should I even still review Toku? I mean, will I be able to talk about stuff others talk about? And are the reviewers even good at talking about the kind of stuff they review?

Yeah I still need help on this. :(

Shyni
Dude, it's your time and resources. It's your choice what to do with it.

For me, I don't really care for video reviews like that, so I haven't really seen EZ Rider's reviews. Yet.

I found EZ's "WHAT THE FAIZ!!!" episodes amusing...don't like the Rage Rider Imajin that much though. I guess you can say his term "Toku Faithful" his tagline.

TJ Omega does some decent stuff...dude reviewed Tatooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills and Syber Squad...and Sonic Underground...not to mention his Top 10 WTF Kamen Rider Moments...:laugh:

Apollo Z Hack/Matt Burkett did some obscure Toku Reviews, I think he mention that he'd be focusing on Ultraman Great/Towards the Future in the future. He reviewed such shows like Mechanical Violator Hikaider and Dark Soldier D. I liked his take on "How would you do Kamen Rider USA?" VLog.

Do what feels comfortable to you; sure some folks won't agree with it, but do what you like....:)

Nice post!!
So, pretty much I'm asking should I even still review Toku?

Do you want to do it? Do you have time to do it? Then do it. I would suggest not watching EZ Rider or anyone else's stuff in the meantime, though. Other people's opinions have a way of getting in your head. Even unintentionally imitating other people's stuff will make your stuff less interesting.

When I decided to start a podcast, I sat down and thought about the sort of thing I'd want to listen to myself. So I suggest starting there-- think about the kind of review you'd like to watch, if it existed. Chances are it probably doesn't exist, and won't exist, until you make it.

Go for it!

I'm going to say go for it. The style of most of the toku reviewers (outside of Linkara's Power Rangers reviews) don't really seem to be done that well. Perhaps yours will be a lot better!:castlerock:

Banned
I just started myself not too long ago, and all i can say is:

-You shouldn't care if Someone already did the series/movie you're covering, so long as it's not right on the heels of a better known reviewer's version.
-Listen to all Criticism.
-It's not a bad idea to, after a few episodes, send a message to a better known reviewer asking them to check out your work and give feedback. At worst they will see you as a potential competitor and give you deliberately bad advice, but most of the time they'll shoot straight and be helpful.

Last edited:
Lurker
Okay, first off, worrying if you're copying someone because you reviewed the same thing that other guy reviewed it, you're looking at it the wrong way. There's nothing wrong with reviewing something that someone already reviewed. A work is not a woman. It's not sloppy seconds once someone reviews it. If that was the case, only one person would be allowed to review and riff on Twilight.

Copying comes when you literally rip off jokes or plots wholesale without some passing nod to the person who made the joke. I recommend you watch a few videos comparing The Angry Video Game Nerd to the Irate Gamer to know the difference between what you think is copying and what is copying.

EZ Rider is perhaps the only Tokusatsu reviewer I have seen. That along with fanfiction need more reviewers. I find him okay at best, though if you manage to catch him when he and his friends are doing livestreams, he can be fun to hang with.