How many years do you think we will wait for before 8 gets a remake?

Administrator
Staff member
7 is the most popular Game to both casuals and hardcore fans that is why it is going to have a remake. Are we going to wait for a decade before 8 have a remake do you think we are close to having it?

8 is very popular to casuals from the late 90's to early 2000's because It is their first game. On the other hand it is not liked by the old school hardcore fans. Most hardcore fans prefers 6 or 7.

I do think Square Enix has given the Final Fantasy fans what they wanted over the years - and they have been getting a lot of remakes lately with better graphics. Also the company has said, they are looking to create more remakes, so I think there is a good chance that Final Fantasy 8 will get made.

Administrator
Staff member
I dont think it will be remade first though.I think 6 or nine might get a remake first. There is a Square employee who is very vocal for wanting to remake 6. 8 aged pretty well and looks great after remasters.

I think aomeone somewhere is struggling with that job and soon it will be out.

Administrator
Staff member
As much I like 8, I think we might wait for a decade before it has a remake. Most likely the remake of 7 will have sub sequels. I am very sure there will be a 7-2 and 7-3. Also Final Fantasy 16 is already under development. Dissidia and 14 just made Kefka Popular again so a 6 remake is on the horizon.

Hustle-Loyalty-Respect
From my perspective and observations with how the developers are going with the games remake, I'm quite convinced that it's still going to take a while before we see the remake of FF 8. It maybe a decade as you suggested or lesser, who knows but definitely it's going to come into reality.

I'd say a Final Fantasy 8 remake is very likely. Square Enix is really getting into the business creating remakes. If they are following the remakes in a chronological order, then after 7 they are definitely making 8.

8 just needed a remaster with better graphics and a voice dub. Just replace existing models with more current looking one and add voice acting. No need for full pledge remake.

I guess it will take a lot more time if ever they will release it. Square has a lot of game to work on and I don't think Final Fantasy 8 remake is at the top of their priorities. I read somewhere in this forum about a voting system for the next Final Fantasy remake to develop and I think the next remake will be the one who has the most votes. I'm not sure if Final Fantasy 8 would win that too.

Remaster should be done if SE gives enough developer resources. But sequel and reboots would be harder to say. I think they should atleast give a remaster first and then they can reboot or bring sequel if they see demand from fans.