How do you get internet connection from Desktop to Laptop

Some kind of Beast mode
? On to occasions I needed to do this for a friend and family member, but had no clue what to look for or do. :disappoin

Some kind of Beast mode
Just for random browsing. Not business or anything.

I am the law
Not exactly sure how it would work from the desktop to the laptop (I'm assuming the laptop is old and has no wireless ability, or there is no wireless internet in the house?). But when I connect my laptop (that gets wireless internet) to my desktop (which doesn't), I just use an cat 5 (eithernet) cable.

Some kind of Beast mode
Nah the laptop is new, and im told for my uncles laptop whereever he went, be it my cousins houses, they connected him no problem. With no cables required.

But how? Like one day my friend brought his laptop over and said he wanted to connect. He asked me what was my connection name. Right there I wasn't really sure. In my network connections it just says currently connected to "Network".

Is that it? That sounds too simple.

Banned
Nah the laptop is new, and im told for my uncles laptop whereever he went, be it my cousins houses, they connected him no problem. With no cables required.

But how? Like one day my friend brought his laptop over and said he wanted to connect. He asked me what was my connection name. Right there I wasn't really sure. In my network connections it just says currently connected to "Network".

That's what I want to know!

Just Scratch Behind the Ears
I'm disappointed, when I saw this thread title I assumed it was a SK thread. I'm not clear on exactly what you want but the simple answer is a router.. or wireless router.

I am the law

Okay...then it's wireless networking 101.

When you have a wireless network, the network has a name (so the wireless device can find it). The network name can be anything you want, however when setting up the network, if it wasn't changed, it will usually be the name of the wireless router (D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, ect).

If there is wireless security on the router (WEP or WPA) that will also be needed for the wireless device to connect (think of it like the deadbolt on your front door. Each family member needs the key to get into the house. Same thing with a wireless network. Each wireless device would need the key to gain access to the network).

If you have both pieces of information you should be fine having other people connect to your network.

All this is assuming you have a wireless router connected to your modem (or was provided a wireless gateway [modem/router combo] by your ISP) to provide a wireless network in your residence.

Banned
I'm disappointed, when I saw this thread title I assumed it was a SK thread. I'm not clear on exactly what you want but the simple answer is a router.. or wireless router.

Knock it off, Dami-chan. :redface2:

Okay...then it's wireless networking 101.

When you have a wireless network, the network has a name (so the wireless device can find it). The network name can be anything you want, however when setting up the network, if it wasn't changed, it will usually be the name of the wireless router (D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, ect).

If there is wireless security on the router (WEP or WPA) that will also be needed for the wireless device to connect (think of it like the deadbolt on your front door. Each family member needs the key to get into the house. Same thing with a wireless network. Each wireless device would need the key to gain access to the network).

If you have both pieces of information you should be fine having other people connect to your network.

All this is assuming you have a wireless router connected to your modem (or was provided a wireless gateway [modem/router combo] by your ISP) to provide a wireless network in your residence.

Got it, bro! :thumbs:

I know you're not talking directly to me, but to Kivat. But, you have my countless thanks!