HJU Radio #46 – The End of Gobusters & The Rise of Kyoryuger

Yeeeaaah... It was a while since he was on, but I felt rude saying, "We have to move on."

We'll make sure not to spend a full hour on a single person again. :sweat:

Yeeeaaah... It was a while since he was on, but I felt rude saying, "We have to move on."

We'll make sure not to spend a full hour on a single person again. :sweat:

If this keeps up Keith...this might end up turning into HJU Radio 24/7

100% Tank Engine
:castlerock:

Cosplay thread? Hmm... which one do you mean? I forget the mention now.

Jon Fuu is working on fixing that reverb issue... :(

Someone (I want to say it was Jon but hell if I remember) was talking about their Kamen Rider panel and how they cosplayed as Ichigo and that he'd posted a tutorial on making your own Ichigo cosplay on HJU. I can't remember exact details and I'm too lazy to search through 3 hours of podcast to find it.

For the record, I prefer longer podcasts, so I got way too excited when I saw it was 5 hours this time around. Also, because I'm impatient, I'll probably end up finishing it before Jon Fuu finishes fixing it.

I did want to mention one thing: since I'm studying Japanese, I'm becoming very particular about Japanese pronounciations, so whenever someone pronounces a Japanese word incorrectly (such as Kyoryuger - yeah, I know it's a *****), I start having a fit (okay, not literally). I'm probably one of the only ones affected, though. It's not a complaint, by the way. It's not like you guys are fluent Japanese speakers (apart from Igadevil who obviously wasn't here this episode), but it's just something that bugs me (because I'm picky). Don't take this the wrong way - you can pronounce words however you want. I just thought I'd point out that I have some sort of Japanese OCD going on now and it's kind of amusing.

When you guys were talking about Daigo in Kyoryu and compared to Gentaro...I can see him doing "Kyoryu Kiiiiiiiiiiiiita!!!"

At the same time, I can see him punching out a giant monster with his bare fist unmorphed ala Digimon Data Squad/Savers. There's a G Gundam/Gaogaigar hot-bloodedness to Daigo.

Oh man...now I brought that up...

Now I see Daigo screaming..."This hand of mine is burning red, it's loud roar is telling me to grasp victory...!!!

Daigo angry while cutting a monster...

"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power, it's burning grip tells me to defeat you...TAKE THIS...MY LOVE, MY ANGER, AND ALL OF MY SORROW...!!!"

Last edited:
Super Moderator
I did want to mention one thing: since I'm studying Japanese, I'm becoming very particular about Japanese pronounciations, so whenever someone pronounces a Japanese word incorrectly (such as Kyoryuger - yeah, I know it's a *****), I start having a fit (okay, not literally). I'm probably one of the only ones affected, though. It's not a complaint, by the way. It's not like you guys are fluent Japanese speakers (apart from Igadevil who obviously wasn't here this episode), but it's just something that bugs me (because I'm picky). Don't take this the wrong way - you can pronounce words however you want. I just thought I'd point out that I have some sort of Japanese OCD going on now and it's kind of amusing.

I thought we admitted in the podcast that we were likely butchering the pronunciation of it. I wish they'd get off the whatever-ger names and go back to using Ranger again. :laugh:

Super Moderator
We did and I'd rather say the names right. So, feel free to correct!

Indeed. This is why I don't get upset when customers who come in to where I work pronounce manga as "mane-ga" instead of "mahn-ga" because I did the same damn thing for longer than I'd care to admit.

This is simply because it wasn't until years after reading Area 88 and Heavy Metal Warrior Xenon that I ever heard the word spoken by anyone. This was in the days before you had manga available on any bookstore shelf in America. Matter of fact at that point the two titles I mentioned were two out of maybe four or five that were being brought over at all.

Last edited:
Disappear into light!!
While the podcast was overall very enjoyable, I do think that a lot more stuff could have been covered in the discussion on GoBusters. As it is, some aspects of the latter half of the show was not fully discussed.

Jon/Fuu, when you talked about DaiMajin Kanon, you spewed out too much information and and tried to describe almost all the plot beats of the show. Don't do that. To be honest, by the time you finished, I doubt anyone remembers what you said at the beginning, and only remembered the last bits. That's what happened to me. If you want to pitch a show, just briefly summarize the show, describe the show's overall attitude and atmosphere, and other notable aspects. You don't have to tell people the plot of a large chunk of the show.

Igadevil actually did several articles on Ishinomori's mangas in his annual "Ishinomori Weekly". He did Kikaider and Kikaider 01 in two separate articles, covering the anime, manga and the live-action show, highlighting the differences between them. As I recall, the tv show was less 'grim', and a lot more heroic and epic compared to the manga and anime.

100% Tank Engine
I thought we admitted in the podcast that we were likely butchering the pronunciation of it. I wish they'd get off the whatever-ger names and go back to using Ranger again. :laugh:

We did and I'd rather say the names right. So, feel free to correct!

Indeed. This is why I don't get upset when customers who come in to where I work pronounce manga as "mane-ga" instead of "mahn-ga" because I did the same damn thing for longer than I'd care to admit.

This is simply because it wasn't until years after reading Area 88 and Heavy Metal Warrior Xenon that I ever heard the word spoken by anyone. This was in the days before you had manga available on any bookstore shelf in America. Matter of fact at that point the two titles I mentioned were two out of maybe four or five that were being brought over at all.

Like I said, I'm just being picky because I'm studying Japanese. I can't blame anyone for not pronouncing foreign words correctly. That's stupid. I'm just picky like that.

Actually, I tried saying "Kyoryuger" this morning, and found that without using Japanese pronunciation, it's almost impossible to say it properly. It's "Kyo-ryu-ja", but if you don't use Japanese pronunciation, it always seems to end up as "Kyo-riyu-ja". It's a subtle difference, but it's definitely there.

Sorry if I sound like an asshole, guys. I don't mean it that way. Like I said, I'm just REALLY picky (and I even get picky with dubs, such as in anime, when some voice actors pronounce things correctly and others don't, and I'm the guy that LIKES most dubs). I still love your podcast. I listen to almost every episode.

Just a little aside: I got around to reading Inazuman volume 1 when I was on the train today (because the trip takes a whole damn hour to Uni), and I managed to finish the whole thing in that time, so I bought the other three volumes as soon as I finished. Yes, it's THAT good. Inazuman is totally worth reading.