Hey Toei, can you hear me? It's time to stop rehashing themes.

Lurker
I don't know what's been going on with Toei lately, but every once in a while when it's about Super Sentai, they repeat the same themes over & over, like

3 Vehicle themes (Turboranger, Carranger, & Go-Onger),
3 Dinosaur themes (Zyuranger, Abaranger, & Kyoryuger),
2 Ninja themes (Kakuranger & Hurricaneger),
Many military themes, a few Spy themes, animal themes, & many Sci-Fi themes, etc.

I think that's one of the very reasons why less & less people are tuning into Super Sentai nowadays (another reason is that they need a new timeslot).

While they did some themes before like Time Travel (Timeranger), Magic (Magiranger), Samurai (Shinkenger), Angels (Goseiger), Pirates (Gokaiger), & now Trains (Tokkyuger), it sort of feels very rare.

There's plenty of ideas that Toei can take risks on, & use, such as
  1. Pure Cyberspace themed,
  2. Underwater themed,
  3. Cowboy/Western themed,
  4. Medievil themed,
  5. Greek Mythology themed,
  6. Monster/Ghost themed,
  7. Dragon themed,
  8. Music themed (Kyoryuger is purely dino themed),
  9. Circus themed,
  10. Outer space themed,

etc. etc., Point is, is if Toei wants to get the audience back into Sentai, they should take risks & try different themes (like they're doing right now with Tokkyuger). Just repeating the same themes like they did last year with Kyoryuger gets very tiring. Give those other themes that you keep repeating throughout the decades a rest for a long, long while.

Your opinions?

Last edited:
Lurker
Those themes you listed sell the best with kids...which is what their general audience usually is. No 7 yr old wants to watch Hercules in Spandex. I think...but every kid wants to be a Ninja Dinosaur in Spandex. WahChaRawr!!
and "robot themed" every sentei has robots...and Go Busters was half based on that.

Shyni
Why are Turboranger, Carranger and Go-Onger all under "vehicle themes" but ToQger isn't? Are trains not "vehicles"?

Also, Mirage_Frost probably has a point in that those things are what children want. And they probably don't care as much about "rehashes" since a kid watching Kyoryuger isn't likely to remember Abaranger.

Last edited:
Lurker
Why are Turboranger, Carranger and Go-Onger all under "vehicle themes" but ToQger isn't? Are trains not "vehicles"?

I think Trains/Subways are different because they're not something that people can just drive them on the road like with cars, vans, & trucks. Not to mention that you have to be pretty well trained to guide the trains on the tracks, etc.

That's one of the reasons why Tokkyuger is considered Train themed, & not Car/Vehicle themed.

Wasn't Megaranger a cyberspace theme? You forgot that they did wild animals three times since we have Liveman, Goaranger and Gekiranger. It won't surprise me if we get another animal or ninja theme soon.

Lurker
Wasn't Megaranger a cyberspace theme? You forgot that they did wild animals three times since we have Liveman, Goaranger and Gekiranger. It won't surprise me if we get another animal or ninja theme soon.

Megaranger was mostly about a "Video Game/Technology themed Sentai" with Space on the side. While there's only about a few episodes which deals with CyberSpace, it wasn't exactly a cyberspace theme as a whole.

Lurker
I would prefer to have more futuristic themes, instead of "historical themes" such as dinosaurs (I don't like dinosaurs that much because they're a very old idea). Maybe they could have a sentai which uses light sabers and instead of guns, shoot lasers out of their eyes or something. That'd be super epic :)