Mad Skillz
hey if you don't like it volunteer to add news and what not. what point is there in bitching about the issue without offering to help fix it

I don't think the front page being more active would do anything to boost the activity of the forums. For the longest time, HJU was seen as a forum first and foremost and for a brief period of time, yeah, it was a decent news source. That time has passed. HJU's front page, as much as I hate to say it, has lost almost all of its credibility. You've got inactivity, reposts from Orends and JE Fusion, two of the least credible yet prevalent toku sites out there, and thinly veiled advertisements for online gambling hurting the front page. Also, gathering news isn't easy. Sure, you can continue to be another repost machine and copy news from a place that copied news from a place that copied news from a place that actually translated it and sourced it properly, but what's the point in that? Your average Western tokusatsu fan and HJU member doesn't speak or read Japanese.

As a forum and community, HJU has been on its death bed for years. The decrease in activity, engaging discussion, and new member registrations has annihilated its ability to thrive. A number of vital members who facilitated interesting discussion have moved on from forums to social media. You had a period of people humoring trolls or those who were just ignorant of their offensive posts that did little to spur any discussion of merit. With less and less engaging discussion and even just the basic activity a forum needs, there was less of a reason for potential members to sign up and post. What you have left is this strange place in where only a small handful of members make regular posts in a small handful of threads.

In its heyday, HJU could easily get you a new episode discussion thread with 2-3 pages worth of content within hours of an episode airing. These days you're lucky if one of those threads reaches 5 posts. There's less an incentive for staff to do anything of note (one of the key reasons I stepped down as an admin) because that user base just isn't there. At this point you'd need to almost totally wipe the forums, bring in a set of active staff members, and really try to interact with people. You don't even need any sort of thought provoking discussions – we had tons of off topic chat threads that were engaging and a great place to make a new friend or two.

HJU on Facebook these days is mostly an image reposting machine, but it's...fairly active there? I dunno, I do miss the way HJU used to be but the core that helped bring in activity and new members is so splintered that I don't ever see it being what it returning to its former self.

Last edited:
Just an Internet User Passing Thru
I don't think the front page being more active would do anything to boost the activity of the forums. For the longest time, HJU was seen as a forum first and foremost and for a brief period of time, yeah, it was a decent news source. That time has passed. HJU's front page, as much as I hate to say it, has lost almost all of its credibility. You've got inactivity, reposts from Orends and JE Fusion, two of the least credible yet prevalent toku sites out there, and thinly veiled advertisements for online gambling hurting the front page. Also, gathering news isn't easy. Sure, you can continue to be another repost machine and copy news from a place that copied news from a place that copied news from a place that actually translated it and sourced it properly, but what's the point in that? Your average Western tokusatsu fan and HJU member doesn't speak or read Japanese.

As a forum and community, HJU has been on its death bed for years. The decrease in activity, engaging discussion, and new member registrations has annihilated its ability to thrive. A number of vital members who facilitated interesting discussion have moved on from forums to social media. You had a period of people humoring trolls or those who were just ignorant of their offensive posts that did little to spur any discussion of merit. With less and less engaging discussion and even just the basic activity a forum needs, there was less of a reason for potential members to sign up and post. What you have left is this strange place in where only a small handful of members make regular posts in a small handful of threads.

In its heyday, HJU could easily get you a new episode discussion thread with 2-3 pages worth of content within hours of an episode airing. These days you're lucky if one of those threads reaches 5 posts. There's less an incentive for staff to do anything of note (one of the key reasons I stepped down as an admin) because that user base just isn't there. At this point you'd need to almost totally wipe the forums, bring in a set of active staff members, and really try to interact with people. You don't even need any sort of thought provoking discussions – we had tons of off topic chat threads that were engaging and a great place to make a new friend or two.

HJU on Facebook these days is mostly an image reposting machine, but it's...fairly active there? I dunno, I do miss the way HJU used to be but the core that helped bring in activity and new members is so splintered that I don't ever see it being what it returning to its former self.

Aoi, I think toku-theme forums in general are on the decline.........and HJU seems to be the front-running example of the death of toku-forums.

Not too long ago, you guys had to shut down the forums for the Tokusatsu Network for the same reasons you stated..........most of the interesting and well-rationalized discussion has moved over to the social media sites.

Another toku-theme forum known as Toku Nation seems to be getting more regular activity as HJU, but it is not at the same activity level as HJU was in its prime days. Social media has basically replaced fandom discussion and interact that HJU and even Japan Hero once provided.

The only toku-theme forum that managed to maintain its activity level and interesting discussion interaction happens to be Rangerboard, and they are mostly a Power Rangers themed forum first.

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
I don't think the front page being more active would do anything to boost the activity of the forums.

The guy you're quoting really got off the mark of what I was saying, and you went even further. :sweat:

The only mention I made of anything "front page" related was saying that if the title of this thread was true, it probably would've been there because several people made a point that when they saw it, they were thrown off. As to the news, thing, though- I agree, but I don't have the time. I don't even have my own internet access & am loathe to buy it because I only frequent a couple of sites & that list seems to get progressively shorter every year I spend out of high school.

But I'm not just talking about new news in general. I would've thought people would want to talk about the news a little more than usual. But, I'm guessing it's a combination of them also not having the time & being worn out by the same general process & talking points every year. Plus, we're not exactly kind to new thread-goers. In the last few years, we've generally seemed to just get pissed off whenever some middle school or junior high kid comes on & either can't articulate well or jumps onto familiar looking bandwagons us older people have already learned to be wary of.

In all likelihood, that's probably it. We're getting too old to give that much of a damn & we're just not getting as many younger posters as we used to.

Lurker
I gotta say I do miss the old days of HJU. People posting pics of their toku hauls, or cosplay. Polls on favorite characters. A lot of back-and-forth about where we thought series were heading, and what we thought upcoming series and movies were going to be about.

I get it though, forums in general seem to be going by the wayside in favor of things like twitter, tumblr, facebook and instagram. While I'm sure this forum and others will never be as relevant as they once were, it would be nice if with a collective effort we could all getting a little more discussion going on. Who knows, maybe this thread will inspire people to try and post a little more regularly.

I gotta say I do miss the old days of HJU. People posting pics of their toku hauls, or cosplay. Polls on favorite characters. A lot of back-and-forth about where we thought series were heading, and what we thought upcoming series and movies were going to be about.

I get it though, forums in general seem to be going by the wayside in favor of things like twitter, tumblr, facebook and instagram. While I'm sure this forum and others will never be as relevant as they once were, it would be nice if with a collective effort we could all getting a little more discussion going on. Who knows, maybe this thread will inspire people to try and post a little more regularly.
I have to agree with ya on that although I tried posting a thread once 106 views and no replies and the topic was speculation on what would come out next for the CSM line or what some people would want to be done with rider belts that were heavy on the collectables (i.e. switches, medals, rings, and eyecons)

I have to agree with ya on that although I tried posting a thread once 106 views and no replies and the topic was speculation on what would come out next for the CSM line or what some people would want to be done with rider belts that were heavy on the collectables (i.e. switches, medals, rings, and eyecons)

That sounds like a great idea to post more here.

Lurker
The forum itself is decaying. For the last few weeks, whenever I tried to sign in to the forums, I'd be signed out after I logged in. I would keep signing in, but I still get signed out. This is the first time I successfully logged in since.

Treasure Cards of the Underworld
The issue with that seems to be with the outdated forum link on the front page leading to henshinjustice.net/forums, as opposed to forums.henshinjustice.net as it should be now. Attempting to login at /forums will technically lead to success, but throw you back to the wrong page - going to forums.henshinjustice.net, you'll find yourself properly logged in.

Some kind of Beast mode
Well the less people that are here the more random people's posting times will be. So if we aren't on the same page you'll just forget. It's not like we used to know when certain people would be on, but we did know that someone would be.

It doesn't help when the shows progressively lose their souls and become cash grabbing corpses. That may have been the main reason I don't come often. If I don't have the urge to talk about something, the feeling like I'm going to explode if I don't share my thoughts, then why else would I come?

My toku life in general is on heavy decline really, I drop Sentai's now (which I thought I'd never do), I don't even remember what Kamen Rider is, and PR is just in a different place now with no intentions of evolving.