My wife and I just got a rowing machine for our basement. This is great for hour-long workouts, but unlike an elliptical or exercise bike, it's super hard to read while using an ergometer. So, to make those meters fly by, I wanted to get a small TV for my basement.

I was just looking for a regular CRT TV. You know, big tube, obnoxiously large shape. I nearly got laughed out of Best Buy. Apparently they only make HD TVs these days. Now, I really don't have any complaints about my 6 year old 27" Sony WEGA. It's got great sound, a clear picture, never had any issues. But... it seems silly to spend $250 to get a small HD TV for my basement that is only going to be used when my wife and I are exercising.

So, now I'm thinking of just moving my current TV down to the basement, and replacing it with a 32" HD model. I absolutely do not need anything larger than that.

My constraints:
  • Cost must be under $600 (preferably waaaay under)
  • Must have a reasonable projected life of at least 5 years.

My preferences:
  • I'd like it to have a built-in DVD player so I don't have cables snaking all over the place, but I realize that there are quality concerns here.
  • I'd like it to be wall-mountable.
  • I'd like it to be energy efficient (high energy star rating).
  • I'd like it to be from a reputable brand.
  • Please, no links to Walmart. A $15 price difference isn't worth shopping there.
  • 1080 or 720 doesn't make much of a difference to me, but I do want a fast refresh rate since I watch a lot of a action and sci-fi movies.

What do you experts recommend?
Thanks in advance! :thumbs:

Last edited:
CHANGE! GoseiJon!
Can't give ya a good response to that. However, if you click HERE it will send you to BestBuy.com with a lot of HDTV's that are what you are looking for and in your price ranger. :D

Can't give ya a good response to that. However, if you click HERE it will send you to BestBuy.com with a lot of HDTV's that are what you are looking for and in your price ranger. :D
Thanks! I've actually used "the Google" before and have heard of the webbanets. :p :)

I'm more looking for you guys' recommendations on what brands are worth buying and have good quality. It's been a long time since I bought a TV, and back then it was Sony or nothin'. Is it still that way, or do Toshiba, LG and others have high quality TVs that rival or beat what Sony's got?

The Ends JustiΦ's the Means
As far as HDTVs go, I hear Samsung is one of the top ones right now while Sony is still up there. I just bought a 32" Vizio that runs at 720p. Got it at walmart for pretty cheap and it works great. it's a good brand if ur lookin for a cheap tv. At ur price range, you can easily get a samsung. Most come with stands. Not sure if u have to buy a wall mount
separately though.

Hope that wasn't confusing

Eye See You
Overdriveprime, This is what I've been doing for years now. I've had my treadmill in my basement since 2000 and I finally got a tv for the basement a few years back and it was the best decision ever. It makes the workout go faster and more enjoyable. I also recommend a DIVX DVD Player so you can burn data discs and watch a TON of **** throughout your workouts.

JFC

♥ 大好き ♥
I'd recommend either a Samsung or Sony. Those two have the best value in terms of picture quality for the cost of the unit, IMO. Most units nowadays, even small ones, will be able to do at least 720p; which is really what you want anyway for the sake of versatility and being able to get a decent viewing experience from multiple media sources (e.g. regular cable or HDTV, DVDs, playing videos from your laptop, etc.).

Owner of the "Queen" Memory
You should talk to LunaTrigger. His job is selling TVs at Sears

You should tell LunaTrigger to swing in here and say stuff.

Welcome to the HD Era, ODP! :thumbs:

My wife and I just got a rowing machine for our basement. This is great for hour-long workouts, but unlike an elliptical or exercise bike, it's super hard to read while using an ergometer. So, to make those meters fly by, I wanted to get a small TV for my basement.

I was just looking for a regular CRT TV. You know, big tube, obnoxiously large shape. I nearly got laughed out of Best Buy. Apparently they only make HD TVs these days. Now, I really don't have any complaints about my 6 year old 27" Sony WEGA. It's got great sound, a clear picture, never had any issues. But... it seems silly to spend $250 to get a small HD TV for my basement that is only going to be used when my wife and I are exercising.

So, now I'm thinking of just moving my current TV down to the basement, and replacing it with a 32" HD model. I absolutely do not need anything larger than that.

My constraints:
  • Cost must be under $600 (preferably waaaay under)
  • Must have a reasonable projected life of at least 5 years.

My preferences:
  • I'd like it to have a built-in DVD player so I don't have cables snaking all over the place, but I realize that there are quality concerns here.
  • I'd like it to be wall-mountable.
  • I'd like it to be energy efficient (high energy star rating).
  • I'd like it to be from a reputable brand.
  • Please, no links to Walmart. A $15 price difference isn't worth shopping there.
  • 1080 or 720 doesn't make much of a difference to me, but I do want a fast refresh rate since I watch a lot of a action and sci-fi movies.

What do you experts recommend?
Thanks in advance! :thumbs:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05772039000P?keyword=32+samsung

32" 720p LCD by Samsung for 379.99 + free shipping if you have it shipped to a Sears store near you for pick up.

1080p to 720p is not really all that noticeable of a difference on anything less than a 40'. LCDs are generally considered to have a longer lifespan than Plasma, so you should certainly get 5+ years out of it (although buying an extended warranty is always a good safeguard when dealing with something like this). Samsung is also the top rated LCD on the market, so definitely a reliable brand.