Here are some other PROS for Softsubs:

--You can turn the subs off if you choose, allowing you to enjoy the video in all its original glory (for those who ever got annoyed that they couldn't see all the action behind hard subs)
--It's easier to turn a softsub video into a DVD or BluRay with subtitles that can be enabled or disabled at your will.

That last one might not appeal to everyone. It's almost a novelty. But if you still value the ability to watch things on TV instead of computer only, and if you are familiar Standard Definition TV's, then you know what a nightmare hardsubs can be.

In fact, let's make that a CON for Hardsubs:

--Cannot be edited or repositioned. Most hardsubs are positioned at the very bottom of the video file, and many TV's will cut off the visibility of the subs. The only way around this is to put black bars around the video, which can potentially compromise the video's image quality (especially if you are burning the video to DVD).

Shyni
Oh geez, the fansub threads are multiplying! I hope people brought stun guns.

Eh, the first page on this section of the forum only has two threads about subtitles, and the other one is a lot older anyway.

I love softsubs, because I have younger familly members who really like to watch KR and SS, and they are not very good at english.
With softsubs, I can translate the whole thing into my own language in less than 2 hours, hardsub them with VirtualDub, and then burn them to a DVD so I can share it with my familly.

Also, softsubs allow you to change the size of the text. Some hardsubs are perfect for viewing on the pc, but when you want to watch them on a tv-screen they can be extremely tiny.

I see...

What's the program exactly?

It's just called PS3 Media Server. It's a program that connects your computer and a device hooked up to your TV through your home's network. I use PS3 MS to stream episodes from my computer to my Sony Internet-Capable TV, but it works for PS3 and 360 as well.

You access your videos from the server just like you would if you had Windows Media Center or a similar program. For my TV I just have to go to Videos -> Media Server -> and then navigate through my comp's folder structure. Dunno how it is for a console.

with soft subs you can add all the custom fonts you want and fix naming issues that are found later without having to redownload the whole episode