First thing first let's just address the elephant in the room. This is a Batman show without Batman, and I am perfectly fine with that. I think taking Batman out of the spotlight for a bit isn't a bad thing. Batman is great character don't get me wrong, but I think letting him sit this one mostly out isn't a bad thing. It is a rather fresh take on the mythos, which hopefully will let the two stars shine through. And for me the stars are James Gordon and Gotham itself.

Now when I say Gotham is a star may seem weird, but I think it is what helps make this episode. Everyone more else knows what Gotham City is, a super-corrupt town tethering on the edge of total ruin with insanity boiling under the surface. It is in this environment that we can buy Harvey Bullock as a sort of hero and actually a rather likable sidekick, despite him being as sleazy as they come. Gotham also explains why, to me anyway, the series still has the feel of a superhero story instead police drama. In short it turns James Gordon into a sort of a superhero.

Now what I mean about Gordon being a superhero is he has the power of morality and the secret identity of a corrupt cop. Honestly that was one of the most striking elements for me during the episode, the sheer contrast between him and everyone else. Even compared to the other "good" cops Renee Montoya and Crispus Allen (based on comics knowledge so there could always be a twist), especially Renee who comes off a bit pity with her interaction with Barbara. He always seems to be the only concerned about children. He looks for the non-fatal option like with the drug addict and the Penguin. He honestly comes off a bit like Superman.

Now there were a few things that did irk me a bit. First all the nods came off as rather forced, like the Riddler being forensics expert. That was just weird to me. Now if they develop them later on, that's one thing, but honestly they could have probably saved some them for later episodes. Also the opening scene with young Selina jumping from roof to roof just made me laugh. Next I don't know how I feel about this Alfred, he just seem really rough for a butler. Finally I think people will disagree with me, but the weakest parts for me were the post-funeral Bruce scenes. I think putting him the path to Batman this soon was probably a mistake. It's a bit jarring that in the same episode we see him traumatized at the murder scene to trying to conquer fear to swearing stone-cold vengeance on the killer. Personally I think having this all develop over a season or even a few episodes would have been better, or maybe they just figured everyone knows he going to be Batman so why do anything.

One final note, if I could change one thing about the show it would be have Bruce killed and leave Thomas alive. I know it's been done in the comics, but imagine the opening scene then, all bets are off and it would have given the series a more unique presence. Plus the possible interaction between Gordon and Thomas could have driven a lot of fun story ideas.

Anyway, I did enjoy the first episode a lot. I think the chemistry between Gordon and Bullock is a big part of it. They play off of each other well and think that will probably be a driving force of the series, or I hope so anyway. So unless the second episode completely drives off a cliff I can see myself watching the whole season.

Read my smart post
I'll watch the pilot tomorrow...but it can't be any worse than Agents of Shield though (and i'm a Marvel fanboy)

D

Dr Kain

I stopped watching Agents of Shield after the first episode last year. This can not possibly be any worse.

I haven't watched it yet as I'm debating if I should download it or just wait to see if the show is not going to get canceled soon.

Digital Artist
I thought the pilot was decent. Started off with the origin that we all know about Batman and then introduced us to all the characters and future villains. So the little girl is supposed to be Poison Ivy, the other crouching girl is Selena, and Bruce is I assume to be around the same age. Going to have to take a while to get used to this. I am intrigued to seeing how long this show will unfold and last.

Last edited:
It's not really hard to be worse than Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 was very good if you paid attention to the first few episodes and got past them. It at least had a much more coherent story than Arrow's second season. Practically everything is a Chekhov's gun.

Anyway, I just can't find the draw of this show (Gotham) to bother watching it. The corrupt police angle is something I've seen from other recent shows, like POI.

D

Dr Kain

Arrow Season 2 was nothing short of amazing. It is hands down the best season of a super hero series ever to air TV thus far.

Arrow Season 2 was nothing short of amazing. It is hands down the best season of a super hero series ever to air TV thus far.

Are you sure you're talking about the right season? Season 2 had that soap opera caricature Slade Wilson as main villain.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

Are you sure you're talking about the right season? Season 2 had that soap opera caricature Slade Wilson as main villain.
Opinions.
I'm with Dr Kain on this. S2 of Arrow was the best live-action, I've ever seen. And I don't mind seeing it again.

The Golden Wizard
It peaked my interests. While I don't too much care for "prequels/origin stories." Seeing how "FOX" handles the stories of some of the most iconic characters in comic book history. Is going to be very interesting indeed.