So I watched an episode of Goranger today... the one with the freeze beam (episode 11?) and there was a part where Akaranger was going all Solid Snake in-costume, but then once he was actually at an entrance he unmorphed (or whatever the term is).

Now in this case it made sense as he disguised himself as an enemy, but I see the Gorangers do this a lot--be suited up but then take off their suits at a time where it seems they'd still be useful. For that matter it seems like its a recurring Sentai trend to do 90% of the work un-suited and then only suit up for the big battle.

What's up with that? I'm guessing there's some production reason for it? Perhaps because being in-suit all the time denigrates the star power of the actors? Or is there some other reason? (For that matter maybe there's an in-story reason I just keep missing?)

Lurker
No, I think star power is that, or even just to make use of the unsuited actors. Another reason is that people identify more with human looking characters and most of the emoting comes from the eyes, traits the unsuited actors have but suit actors don't. Heck, list the most popular Toku villains (not just Sentai). As far as I've seen in the fandom, the ones played by actors in costumes that show their face tend to be better remembered (names escape me, but I know the villains from Dairanger, Jetman, and Go-Busters are somewhere in most fans top 10).

Yeah, Enter and Escape are still two of my most favourite sentai villains.