OK, so me and a buddy are so psyched about Kamen Rider x Super Sentai: Superhero Taisen, we're planning a trip to Japan to see the movie in theatres. Problem is, neither one of us has been there before. Anybody done this before, cuz we could use some advice. Where could we find some good travel rates, how much should we expect to spend on hotels, and most importantly, what do we do to ensure we get movie tickets so that we don't make this trip for nothing. Sorry if these may seem like stupid questions, but I want to do this right. Thanks.

-Big Grim

I can't help you with hotel prices but I can tell you it's not going to be cheap. you can use JR Lines and subways to get around Tokyo. ticket prices aren't that expensive. normally if you just travel within Tokyo, it ranges approximately from 160 Yen ~ 290 Yen.

as for movie tickets, 1800 Yen for general public. you have to be careful on choosing movie theatres though because not every theatre would show the movie.

really stupid question, do I need travellers checks, or will debit cards work just as good?

二番目の翻訳者
Don't count on being able to use cards of any sort. Carry cash (it's safe, don't worry). You get a better exchange rate on traveler's checks, make sure you exchange them after you get to Japan and do so at the airport to get the best rate. You can also use debit cards at Citibank terminals and do credit card withdraws at ATM machines in some convenience stores, but it's not entirely reliable, so better safe than sorry.

If you want to go cheap I urge you to look into youth hostels, as they're quite economical and the Japanese ones are quite nice. It does depend on how much you're willing to sacrifice in terms of luxuries, though, as some (not all) have communal sleeping, bathing, or TV areas. The Yoyogi Youth Hostel in Tokyo is one I used to stay at; it has one-person rooms for 3000 yen/night and is a pretty nice facility.

For tickets I usually use Travelocity's "Flexible Dates" feature to look for bargains. There may be better methods but it's been pretty good to me in the past. (Lately it's been kind of crummy, but that might just be the economy. Sigh...) If you definitely want a proper hotel you should look into their flight + hotel packages as they can be quite economical as well. So maybe take a few passes through that and you can get an idea of what you want.

You'll also most likely want to schedule your trip for after the movie's release. IIRC they're aiming for a Golden Week release, and everything travel-related is going to be more expensive (and less likely to secure). I'm not sure how long Japanese movies stay in theaters, though; Jacky would be able to advise better on that.

Last edited:
they're possibly aiming for a Golden Week release? oh I'll be so damned because Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro will be filled with humans like a packed sardine can! :shakefist

yeah, if they're aiming for a Golden Week release, I think it'll be very difficult to get a ticket since there'll be so many families watching it. movies usually last for about a month and a half. and yes, it's better to use cold hard cash!

EDIT: I suggest you don't fly to Japan during Golden Week to avoid this and Golden Week is most likely the first week of May if I'm not wrong.

Last edited:
Im sure the theatre near the tokyo dome will be playing it

Where in japan are you going? Ive been all over. Tokyo, Osaka, Ibaraki, Fukushima, Niigata, Nagano, Kyoto, Nayoga, Horoshima, Kagawa, Ehime, Yamaguchi, and Fukuoka and Okinawa

Im sure the theatre near the tokyo dome will be playing it

Where in japan are you going? Ive been all over. Tokyo, Osaka, Ibaraki, Fukushima, Niigata, Nagano, Kyoto, Nayoga, Horoshima, Kagawa, Ehime, Yamaguchi, and Fukuoka and Okinawa

I'd like to go to Tokyo. Sorry if this sounds ignorant or insensitive, but how has the devastation from the hurricane affected tourism over there?

Tourism is low. The govt i think is hosting a contest. The american media really blew **** out of major proportion. Its very safe to come here. There is no godzilla or hokuto no ken ****

don't believe anything you see on the news about "Tokyo being too dangerous to visit" or whatever bullshit. it's perfectly safe.

The only dangerous place is going inside the plant itself. But yeah fucking american media is why tourism is low and the crisis also fucked up the exchange rate aling with the shitty american economy