iu

So the website 55v-20.com has appeared on the internet, and appears to be counting down until Saturday the 29th June. As some of you might be aware, the number five is pronounced "go" in Japanese, so the website's name is basically "GoGoV 20". There was an accompanying announcement saying that "something will happen in Tokyo" on September 1st.

As it happens, GoGoV aired from February 1999 through February 2000, so we're in the middle of it's anniversary. It seems it may get celebrated in some way, with more details to come when the countdown runs out next weekend.

Note that this is not likely to be a "20 Years After" special or anything like that. Not long after GoGoV ended, Kenji Shibata, who played the yellow ranger, Daimon, was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor which has since caused numerous health problems, including paralyzing him down his right side. In a TV show last year, the other four actors who played rangers in the show had stated that they would not reprise their roles without him.

Would like to change his avatar
Considering only Blue and Pink are still active in showbiz, there wasn't much hope for it to be a new Tatsumi adventure, anyway.

R

raden238

Hmmm maybe a sequel movie featuring new successors to the GoGoV suits? W/ cameo appearances from the original cast?

D

Dr Kain

On one hand, I am excited to see a good series get the anniversary treatment. On the other, it's Toei in 2019. It will probably be dumbed down and kiddified.

Didn't see this one coming.
Then again, this year marks 20th anniversary (1999), so this announcement make sense.
Even though it's not going to be 10th anniversary special (Hurricanger, Dekaranger, Go-Onger), I'm curious what it's going to be.
GoGoV is the LAST great Sentai ever made IMO; especially, since it's the last Sentai of the 90s and it was great series to end the era on the high note, so I'm looking really forward to this.

Hmmm maybe a sequel movie featuring new successors to the GoGoV suits? W/ cameo appearances from the original cast?

You know, that might not be a bad idea.
Original cast can be serve as mentor, where it doesn't require much action.
Granted, I'm not too keen on that idea, since I love the original cast, but if it's meant to "pass the torch" type of movie, it might not be a bad thing. Maybe it can also be potential for bringing back rescue motif sentai, where rescue/paramedic TV series and movies has become popular over the last decade in Japan, due to many natural disasters.

D

Dr Kain

Timeranger was the last Sentai of the 90s. Years go 1-10, no 0-9, there was no Year 0, but whatever.

Fortunately we still had Time, Aba, and Geki after GGF, but GGF is definitely the last 5/5 star show for me.

Timeranger was the last Sentai of the 90s. Years go 1-10, no 0-9, there was no Year 0, but whatever.

Heh. Well technically, Timeranger was in production in 1999 (IIRC, Sentai production back then started in late November), so you got me there. lol

I have this vague recollection that one of the 90s seasons (Megaranger?) had it's anniversary marked with a live event where they showed one of it's 'VS Series' entries in a cinema and had a Q&A with some of the cast afterwards. I can't find any old news reports of this now, but it would make sense for them to tease something happening specifically "in Tokyo" if they were holding something like that again.

I doubt it will be any new fiction, unless maybe they have one or two of them appear in the next Space Squad flick. But I doubt they would announce one of those in this manner.

Is there going to be another Space Squad movie? I'd rather they bring back more Metal Hero actors if there is.