Well, San Diego Comic Con saw the release of a trailer for this so it seems as good a time as any to start talking about it.

'Godzilla: King of the Monsters'
is currently set for release on May 30th 2019 and if this trailer is anything to go by, will star the big G himself alongside Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah.

Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins will return from the 2014 Godzilla movie. Michael Dougherty (X2, Superman Returns) is directing and co-writing it with Max Borenstein (Godzilla 2014, Kong: Skull Island) and Zach Shields.

This is of course, setting things up for a crossover with King Kong in the following "MonsterVerse" movie. There isn't a sequel to 'Kong: Skull Island' in the works so the big debate at the moment is whether Kong will get a mention in the movie or possibly an end credits cameo before the two throw hands in 2020.

I actually didn't mind the 2014 Godzilla movie. I just hope they get away from that shaky-cam/found footage style.

It's got a different director so maybe they will do. I've only watched the 2014 film once and tbh I thought it was really boring. Though I'll admit part of my dislike for it is that it still really bugs me that they changed Godzilla's roar. Even the 1998 American movie kept that. Without the roar it just feels wrong.

Having said that, the Japanese films never made Rodan or King Ghidorah interesting to me (I know many other Godzilla fans love them both) so I'm hoping this new take on them might finally make them compelling. Plus Mothra is Queen of The Monsters and makes any movie better!

R

raden238

All I have to say is: WOW!!!! How epic can you get??? Rodan's spinning wing attack, Mothra looks better every time I see her, two mystery kaijus being teased, King Ghidorah and Godzilla charging at each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One Criticism though, I hope all the fights don't take place at night. It's hard to see. Really hope they learned from the 2014 movie.

Two videos to share. First of all, the final trailer:

Secondly, details have emerged about the film's score. The soundtrack is being composed by Bear McCreary, best known for composing the music to the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, The Walking Dead, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It supposedly encorporates Akira Ifukube's theme from the Japanese films, and possibly the other monsters' Japanese themes too.

And finally, the title track for the film is a cover of the Blue Oyster Cult's classic, "Godzilla", featuring vocals from Serj Tankian (the singer for System Of A Down). It's less rocky but it also contains some Japanese supporting vocals.

Last edited:
I have saw the movie and I like the easter eggs that the movie gave the old Godzilla fans.

I don't think we have a specific thread for Godzilla vs Kong in here yet, but that movie's release has been moved back due to COVID-19. It's now penciled in for May 21st 2021.

S

scikaiju

Not totally unexpected, given the pandemic going on, just have to be a little more patient.