Geki Changer and Geki Tonfa Review (Pics and Videos added)

I got these babies in Japan, and they seriously own any Den-O toy this year.

I'm following my buddy Zecter's style of reviewing a toy. (I notice that he doesn't come here anymore. Hmm...)

Geki Changer

You get:

The Box :laugh:
Two Geki Changers
Four Straps
A piece of durable paper printed in color with all 25 Geki Waza

Why this toy simply owns the Den-O belt:

It's has AWESOME replay value. While you find the Den-O belt cool for a few days, soon you lose interest, because all you can do with the belt is turn on the sound effects for all four forms, access "Full Charge" and pose in the mirror. The Geki Changer is a whole other world of fun though.

1. The BEST thing about this is unlocking the Geki Waza. The changer comes with 3 Waza unlocked, and Geki Waza 4-6 are unlocked really quickly. But it gets progressively harder. I've played with it for 2 weeks, and I've only unlocked up to Geki Waza 20. By the way, you unlock Geki Waza by wearing the changer and punching the air. Which brings me to my next point.

2. Playability. You can wear the changers and punch the air, and there are just so many poses you can do with it. The Den-O belt can only be worn and you can't pose much in it. And these changers are durable. You can punch at full strength and the sensor will still work. Awesome.

3. Design. The color scheme just looks so much cooler than the Den-O belt. Den-O is a kickass show with great looking suits, but they fail in the color schemes for their weapons and henshin belts. The Geki Changer's black and orange combo looks sleek and whenever I pass by my display cabinet, I sneak a peek at them and admire them. On the other hand, I look at my Den-O belt, find it goddamn boring, and turn away. It's a real turnoff.

4. The sound effects. LOL. I love this. Shafu says Geki Jyu Ken and says the number of the Geki Waza that you have most recently unlocked when you turn on the changer, and there's so many sound effects to unlock and listen to. Geki Waza 12 sounds like the hum of a lightsaber, Geki Waza 1 sounds like the fist punching sounds in DragonBall Z, and there's alot more cool sounds. And whenever you unlock a new Geki Waza, Shafu congratulates you. His voice is seriously addictive. AND. After you unlock 20 (or was it 19?), everytime you turn on the changer, he says the normal stuff, and then adds: Kore de Kimi mo GekiRenJaa, which means: Now you too are a Gekiranger. Which is so funny and awesome at the same time.

Geki Tonfa

What you get:

The Box
2 Geki Tonfa

1. Playability. My god. I love all 3 modes of this baby. There's the tonfa mode, the baton mode and the long baton mode (which is basically a staff). You can swing them around and pretend you're owning the KenMa. They just feel so solid in your hands and so durable. On the other hand, the DenGasher just seems so fragile. You can never swing the damn thing. Sure, the transformation gimmick is fun, but it gets boring after awhile. You can't even recreate Momo's cool swings or Ryuu's shooting. And the Rod mode just seems like it'll break apart with a single swing. Scary. The Geki Tonfa is a whole different story though. You can imitate Ran and Retsu's poses from the show, which is a fan's dream come true. I prefer imitating Ran's staff action because swinging the toy just feels so fun. This is playability. This is a toy. This is something you won't put down after a day (Unlike the DenGasher).

2. Sound effects. There's two different sets of sounds. In Tonfa and Baton Mode, there's the sound of a turbine spinning, and after a few repetitions, there'll be the sound of the Tonfa/Baton impact. In Long Baton mode, there's the sound of a staff swinging, and after a few swings, it'll play the sound effect of a staff hitting. The sounds are all activated by motion sensors when you hold the weapon and swing it or move it around. Sweet.

3. Design. Once again, the Tonfa's color scheme is just eye candy. The Den-Gasher looks dull, boring and uninspiring with its black and blue color scheme, but the Tonfa's black and silver color scheme is so pleasing. And since the toy was designed with children's safety in mind, the baton part of the toy is collapsible. So you need not worry about injuring yourself when you swing the tonfa and connect with your face.

I think the best part of these toys is the replayability value, especially the challenge to unlock all 25 Geki Waza on the changer. It gives you a goal to work towards. Last year, I was interested in the Accellular, but I saw its functions and guessed that I would be bored with it within days. But the Geki toys have occupied me for 3 weeks, and they're temporarily on display for me to feast my eyes on. Talking so much about them makes me wanna take them out and play with them again, but it's twelve in the night and I'll wake my parents.

I felt cheated with the Den-O toys (Kabuto's are SO much more fun) but Geki's toys were worth every cent. Posing with them just feels so fun, and it makes me feel like a kid again, when I got the Power Rangers weapons and role played with them. Ah, the memories.

Verdict:

Geki Changer: 9/10
Geki Tonfa: 9/10

Edit: The only flaw is the size of these toys, and you'll see that in the pictures that I'll be adding. Also, the sound effects only come from one of the pair. For the Geki Changer, the changer without sound effects has a compartment to store the sheet of paper with all the Geki Waza. For the Geki Tonfa, the tonfa without sounds has and inbuilt turbine and a switch to make it spin, so you can recreate the powering up scenes with Retsu in Gekiranger.

The only thing I'm scared off is how Bandai America will ass rape these awesome toys. Look at how Daibouken turned out. Ugh.

Last edited:
Nice review:thumbs: !
Can't wait for the pictures:laugh:

Keep up the good work

I ordered a pair of Geki Tonfas from HLJ for my custom "Shinra Turks" costume and I thought they were pretty badass! In fact, a couple of cosplayers at the MCM Expo in London where I took them to actually recognized them as Geki Tonfas!:anime:

For those with low Internet Connection speeds, I've hidden the pictures in Spoiler Tags so that your computers won't crash from all the stress. ;D

GekiChanger Pictures

[hide]
IMGA0775.jpg
The GekiChanger with sound, lying beautifully on my bed. :D
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0776.jpg
Tagire! Kemono no Chikara!
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0777.jpg
Side view. Get an idea of the length.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0778.jpg
SCRTC's Logo.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0779.jpg
The underside. Note the length of the straps.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0780.jpg
Straps buckled up.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0781.jpg
The Gekichanger without sound has a compartment to store small items. Note the switch to open it.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0782.jpg
Storage compartment open.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0783.jpg
The compartment close-up. The paper inside is included with the toy.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0784.jpg
The compartment emptied. You can store spare change inside, and wear it downstairs to the convenience store. That is, if you dare to. :D
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0785.jpg
The paper unfolded. (Front side)
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0786.jpg
The paper unfolded. (Back side)
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0787.jpg
The 2 GekiChangers side by side. Absolutely beautiful.
[/hide]

Last edited:
GekiTonfa

[hide]
IMGA0788.jpg
GekiTonfa, Tonfa Mode.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0789.jpg
Size comparison with the GekiChanger.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0790.jpg
This is why I do not hesitate to use this toy to deal some punishment to my sister when she gets annoying.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0791.jpg
Despite bending so many times, it still looks brand new. Bandai Japan's quality control must be amazing.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0792.jpg
The switch, and the area that generates the sound effects. The painting is detailed, as expected of Bandai Japan.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0793.jpg
The button to shift the handle and switch between modes.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0794.jpg
Baton Mode.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0795.jpg
The Tonfa. The length is typical of a children's toy.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0796.jpg
The switch to activate the turbine. It is spring powered, not electronically powered.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0797.jpg
The turbine spinning.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0798.jpg
The turbine deactivated.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0799.jpg
2 Batons side by side. Sexy.
[/hide]

[hide]
IMGA0800.jpg
The Long Baton Mode. AKA the Staff Mode.
[/hide]

Videos

GekiChanger Sound Effects. Includes Henshin sounds, GekiWaza 1, Geki Waza 12 and Geki Waza 20.

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/wyyc/?action=view&current=MOL001.flv

GekiTonfa Tonfa Mode's Sound Effects. Note that the Baton Mode has the same sound effects.

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/wyyc/?action=view&current=MOL002.flv

GekiTonfa changes mode from Tonfa Mode to Baton Mode

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/wyyc/?action=view&current=MOL003.flv

GekiTonfa Long Baton Mode's Sound Effects.

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/wyyc/?action=view&current=MOL004.flv

Could a mod please rename this thread to: Geki Changer and Geki Tonfa Review (Pics and Videos added)? Thanks alot!

Great review! The pictures and videos are cool too. Might be my first import sentai item.. The tonfa looks mighty fine. >.>;;

Red Falcon
OMG That is so freakin awesome both GekiChanger and Tonfa :thumbs: I wish i could buy one or both but too bad, i have to convince my old man, which will be difficult. Anyway, my birthday is just 2 weeks away and if someone could buy me at least the GekiChanger which i like then it will be the best birthday gift ever...