Hardly. Maybe in a list of the top five MODERN tokusatsu efforts but ever?

I mean, I love GARO and Keita Amemiya to death but...

Even then, I'd still put Bio Planet WoO, Ultraman MAX, and MIKAZUKI in front of it.

Garo, like Ryukendo, has gotten placed on this colossal pedestal even though it didn't really do anything that special. ("wooooaaaaahhh, naked women and blood. This show rocks!" >.>)

Did I like it? Sure. I liked the premise and the lore primarily. A talking ring was more likeable than Kouga. (Hirono Konishi really can't emote very well.) But I did like his relationship with Kaoru. Rei of course is fun (Silva isn't) and Gonza is among the cool butler characters in superhero media, alongside Yura Goro and Alfred Pennyworth. Far better than Kabuto's Jiiya, who came off as a weak man. The action and CGI are of course high quality. It actually deals with a horror/demon lore motif, unlike a certain vampire Kamen Rider...

Beyond that, I think it's overblown. Metalder, Kuuga, Agito, and shows like them still exceed it in the big picture.

Let GARO and Ryukendo never be placed in the same league ever again.

It had unmatched action and fight choreography and unlike most tokusatsu, never overstayed its welcome or flapped about with a ton of unanswered questions or filler.

Raxbait: Hip
lol, overhype is also another reason why I haven't touched neither of those shows.

Then you should have made it more clear. :)

Cuz I completely disagree with people thinking it's great because of blood and naked women.

I thoguht Agito was great, but GARO........ better.

Not-So-Rabid Blade Fangirl
Its so epic. I am dissapointed its only 25 eps. :dissapoin

Don't forget the special. ;)

lol, overhype is also another reason why I haven't touched neither of those shows.

Can't speak for Ryukendo, but I liked GARO a lot. And I've abandoned a few tokus that weren't really doing it for me, so the fact that I actually finished it says a lot. :laugh:

Of course, my favorite GARO-related media ever was SMILE. It has next to zero special effects but it's SO GOOD. D:

Kaoru <3

It stinks.
Matrix, did you know that GARO also had a TV movie entitled Beast of the White Night?

Last edited: