If anyone remembers seeing Garo and Gouten prototype pics, there was a Horror holding a sceptor. He wasn't shown in the show, and possibly is a clue to the next part of the series? I also remember seeing pics of redesigned garo and zero somewhere as well.

CookSux said:
If anyone remembers seeing Garo and Gouten prototype pics, there was a Horror holding a sceptor. He wasn't shown in the show, and possibly is a clue to the next part of the series?
We saw pics of that figure even before Garo aired. I think it was the original design for Kiba. But who knows, they may reuse it for something else.

Banned
My GARO order from Amazon Japan finally arrived today. Love saving money on SAL shipping, hate how long it takes most of the time. At any rate, some people have said it didn't come with a box. I emailed CDJapan but I deleted it so I don't remember if they said first press came with a box or not. My order from Amazon Japan did contain a box.

I can't wait to watch this DVD but unfortuantely for me it'll have to wait until I'm done with my other projects. Anyone have the official DVDs and if so what did you think of it?

I can't comment on the DVD's ... yet. But yesterday I decided to buy them :thumbs:

Fear the glasses!!
*Bump*

So while I should be grading papers and doing grades, I decided screw it (I have three days) and marathoned Garo in a ... night. Yeah, I'm crazy and Keith's constant raving as well... ^_^

After watching it, the first first ep turned me off big time, mainly b/c I couldn't swallow the barrage of CG, plain WTFness and just the Whoa...toku being serious and badass! Jk. But after having seen it, I've noticed several things:

1) That blasted song was playing in my head ALL night. I swear I heard it in my dreams and I heard it when I woke up. Not that I don't love JAM, but you can only hear "Yuke! Kaze no koto, sadama no kenshi yo" SO many times before you go nuts. But I still liked it.

2) Kageyama as Zaruba was very entertaining. Was that his first voice work? It really made Zaruba almost a believable character sufficient in himself.

3) Kaoru's actress really needs some acting lessons. Ironically, she was better in the beginning and the ending of the series. I almost couldn't stand her in the middle. Didn't she also do what's that Undead...Blade Queen Category? But, they did portray her character nicely. I will give them that.

4) I liked the little summary/commentary sayings by Kaoru's voice overs in the beginning of each ep. They did a good job of further perpetuating the storyline and setting it up.

5) Costumes, visual effects. I have to say, as Shoug's said earlier, the guy REALLY has an eye for the visual. I liked the aesthetics very much. And, it did all make sense. I have to admit, those Horrors succeeded in making me jump back from my chair many times, no matter how used to them I should be by now. Ugh. Ep 5? Dinner was the GROSSEST thing I've seen in a LONG time. Ugh ugh. Complete with sound effects. I almost lost my dinner.

Garo and Zero's suit - really grew on me as time went on. I was really skeptical the first time. I was like, "we need shades to watch that" but the pure genius of the design and naming really made sense particularly as the show went on. I liked the Soul Metal concept and that it was so heavy you couldn't lift it or the opposite. LOL. ::thinks of Gonza in finale arc::

6) And of course, the action. Initially being turned off by the CG, it got better. Probably becuase I could forgo that for the story and characters, which I have to say, didn't turn out as cliche's as I thought they would in the beginning. Some of the sequences were a bit long, but nothing dragged too much. I really liked the full ensemble of Garo though.

The sequences without CG were good though. Very flippy, twirly, but it fit story well. I was amused by Mark's acting, although I guess they didn't give him a speaking part this time (probably to his relief - :anime: It was all right considering he didn't speak at all, just echoed.

7) I knew there was something quirky about the Watchdogs. I just knew. HA.
B/c of course, in toku, if something is too good to be true, it is.

8) The SHEER amount of Toku Cameos was definitely worth it. That in itself was worth watching. I'm going to use their toku names, cuz I don't know their real ones. It's nice to see Nagi in a somewhat more dimensional role. Kitoaka was hilarious. Murikami was nice to see. And ahaha...they brought Naoto back - wow, he was PERFECT for the role. HAHA. I wonder if they deliberately made him a computer nerd as a throwback to Timeranger. OMG. they even brought Mio from PGSM back. That was a nice touch, but I'm glad I got to see her in a role other than PGSM - which I hated, her character. I'm probably missing a few.

9) Kouga and Zero: I'm SUCH a sucker for these kind of stories, but aww, I was touched by Zero's appearance and his namesake. Speaking of Kouga, I really liked the Ordeal...as well as the clip show. The "shadow in yourself" was typical, but done well. It's nice that they showed the Makai Knights don't always rely on Soul Metal - meaning they have to *gasp* use their god-given brainpower too! Oh yeah, that was another thing...the jokes and riddles. That was a clever way to make the obligatory clip show and without breaking stride or rythm from the show overall. Kouga: Were you muttering something while I was fighting?: ::laughs::

10) The female in me though made me object at least once to the fact that they kept using the concept of the "Yin" as in Female, dark, negative (as opposed to positive) aspects. Ok, I know that's what they meant by it, but it always seemed to come off as female = bad. That's just my personal quibble. The fact they used the Yin/Yang concept correctly was good by itself. It was at the last ep where that hit me. I was like, "You know, if I were one of those die-hard feminists, I'd seriously object to this show." Lol.

All in all, I'm glad I did sit down to watch this. Makes me think maybe the toku shows not for the kiddies will actually allow a venue for more freedom of expression. There is definitely something to be said for a "no holds barred, open, not "dumbed" down for younger audiences" approach to shows.

Last edited:
Woo hoo! Glad you liked it! Right now Tendou and Kouga are staring each other down in my heart to decide who will end up being the best of the best.

8) The SHEER amount of Toku Cameos was definitely worth it. That in itself was worth watching. I'm going to use their toku names, cuz I don't know their real ones. It's nice to see Nagi in a somewhat more dimensional role. Kitoaka was hilarious. Murikami was nice to see. And ahaha...they brought Naoto back - wow, he was PERFECT for the role. HAHA. I wonder if they deliberately made him a computer nerd as a throwback to Timeranger. OMG. they even brought Mio from PGSM back. That was a nice touch, but I'm glad I got to see her in a role other than PGSM - which I hated, her character. I'm probably missing a few.

As is known, I'm no hardcore fan... aside from Mio who I recognized, where were the toku cameos from? And Naoto from Timeranger was in it? Crap, I've always wanted to know what that guy was like.. I didn't even notice him in Garo... was he the guy with the fishy girlfriend?

3) Kaoru's actress really needs some acting lessons. Ironically, she was better in the beginning and the ending of the series. I almost couldn't stand her in the middle. Didn't she also do what's that Undead...Blade Queen Category? But, they did portray her character nicely. I will give them that.

Totally agree, tho I didn't think her acting was all the good in the beginning, but by the end she was doing a really good job. I started finding it funny how stupid her character was. I mean, how many times can you walk off with a stranger at night in a month... and keep getting attacked by Horrors before you figure out that maybe you shouldn't run off with a bunch of strangers every night?

Anyway, glad you enjoyed! :thumbs:

Hopefully I can get in some Agito this weekend. :anime:

Fear the glasses!!
J-Caizer said:
As is known, I'm no hardcore fan... aside from Mio who I recognized, where were the toku cameos from? And Naoto from Timeranger was in it? Crap, I've always wanted to know what that guy was like.. I didn't even notice him in Garo... was he the guy with the fishy girlfriend?

Yup, that was him. Murikami was her father = Smart Brain Head in Faiz; Kitoaka the pharmacist who was exonerated = Zolda, Lawyer in Ryuki; Naoto - OCD/psycho computer guy with fish gf = TimeFire; I'm sure there are more, I prolly missed them.

Totally agree, tho I didn't think her acting was all the good in the beginning, but by the end she was doing a really good job. I started finding it funny how stupid her character was. I mean, how many times can you walk off with a stranger at night in a month... and keep getting attacked by Horrors before you figure out that maybe you shouldn't run off with a bunch of strangers every night?

Well, to her credit, she wasn't just going off randomly. It was either looking for a job she couldn't seem to hold past one day or searching for something related to her father's incomplete book. But, she did strike me after awhile as a "baka onna" but the writers wrote her perfectly.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed! :thumbs:

Hopefully I can get in some Agito this weekend. :anime:

Yeah, Agito...I put my rewatching on hold to get in Garo. ^_^

MaraJade said:
*Bump*
10) The female in me though made me object at least once to the fact that they kept using the concept of the "Yin" as in Female, dark, negative (as opposed to positive) aspects. Ok, I know that's what they meant by it, but it always seemed to come off as female = bad. That's just my personal quibble. The fact they used the Yin/Yang concept correctly was good by itself. It was at the last ep where that hit me. I was like, "You know, if I were one of those die-hard feminists, I'd seriously object to this show." Lol.

My wife is ethnic Chinese, and raised in the culture, and I doubt the female=bad interpretation would have even occured to her -- and she's quite Westernized and feminist, which is why she married a white guy from America instead of a nice Singaporean Chinese boy. Yes, yin is feminine, but reading that it means women/female=bad is... well, it'd be like arguing that Christianity's definitive rite is ritualized cannibalism, or that Jesus is a zombie. When one feels aches in one's body, for instance, Chinese people say you've got too much yin in you, and she usually translates it as "cold." You probably already know that, but I'm just sayin' that interpreting "yin" in this way is... rather going off half-cocked. Which is probably why you aren't actually complaining about it.

(Incidentally, my wife loved Garo as much as I did, and she's gotten hooked on Kamen Rider, too, thanks to me -- she and I are both planning separate Kamen Rider fanfic projects O_O.)

All in all, I'm glad I did sit down to watch this. Makes me think maybe the toku shows not for the kiddies will actually allow a venue for more freedom of expression. There is definitely something to be said for a "no holds barred, open, not "dumbed" down for younger audiences" approach to shows.

I loved Garo, and for a lot of the reasons you stated here. It could have been better done, yes, but taken as a whole and on its own terms, it was fantastic. I've seen a lot of complaints here about the use of CGI, but, honestly, I saw them using CGI to do things that wouldn't have come off half as well if they'd tried to do them with practical effects, like the utterly awesome fight in (IIRC) Episode 08 where Zero and Garo were fighting while plowing down a skyscraper, or later in the show when they were again in armored form, duelling while bouncing from tree to tree. Or when Zero casually threw his double-blade while leaping from the catwalk to the floor, to knock the Horror out of the air. Or a great deal of the climactic fight, which was freaking Advent Children "I parry the BUILDING" kind of stuff (and which really impressed me about Kouga, since he spent almost the entire fight unarmored).

I should note that I watched this series before I saw any of Sh15uya (and I'm only a few episodes into that), so I've had rather a different experience in appreciating Mark Musashi. ("OMFG he talks!")