Garo: The Fanged Wolf - Talk Up!

Keith Justice

laudre said:
My wife is ethnic Chinese, and raised in the culture, and I doubt the female=bad interpretation would have even occured to her -- and she's quite Westernized and feminist, which is why she married a white guy from America instead of a nice Singaporean Chinese boy. Yes, yin is feminine, but reading that it means women/female=bad is... well, it'd be like arguing that Christianity's definitive rite is ritualized cannibalism, or that Jesus is a zombie. When one feels aches in one's body, for instance, Chinese people say you've got too much yin in you, and she usually translates it as "cold." You probably already know that, but I'm just sayin' that interpreting "yin" in this way is... rather going off half-cocked. Which is probably why you aren't actually complaining about it.

(Incidentally, my wife loved Garo as much as I did, and she's gotten hooked on Kamen Rider, too, thanks to me -- she and I are both planning separate Kamen Rider fanfic projects O_O.)

Does your wife have a sister? :sweat:

laudre

J-Caizer said:
Does your wife have a sister? :sweat:

Yes, actually. But, uh, you wouldn't want to date her. She doesn't even like Kamen Rider. (IOW, she's much more mainstream than my wife is.)

Keith Justice

Crap! :redface2:

Count yourself as quite the lucky duck, dude.

Do you and your wife download the episodes are watch 'em on your computer or are you guys HK'ing it?

MaraJade

Fear the glasses!!
laudre said:
My wife is ethnic Chinese, and raised in the culture, and I doubt the female=bad interpretation would have even occured to her -- and she's quite Westernized and feminist, which is why she married a white guy from America instead of a nice Singaporean Chinese boy. Yes, yin is feminine, but reading that it means women/female=bad is... well, it'd be like arguing that Christianity's definitive rite is ritualized cannibalism, or that Jesus is a zombie. When one feels aches in one's body, for instance, Chinese people say you've got too much yin in you, and she usually translates it as "cold." You probably already know that, but I'm just sayin' that interpreting "yin" in this way is... rather going off half-cocked. Which is probably why you aren't actually complaining about it.

Yup, I wasn't. It was just where's Keith's famous "I'm just sayin'" pic? I know that they used the Yin/Yang for those reasons. I was just amused that it occurred to me (b/c I wouldn't say I'm a feminist in that sense, I still like having chairs pulled out for me and having doors held open :p, but all together, the symbolism does heavily revolve around that idea, so I just mentioned it. Nah, I wasn't complaining ^_^ and I agree with your amusing and fitting metaphors.

I loved Garo, and for a lot of the reasons you stated here. It could have been better done, yes, but taken as a whole and on its own terms, it was fantastic. I've seen a lot of complaints here about the use of CGI, but, honestly, I saw them using CGI to do things that wouldn't have come off half as well if they'd tried to do them with practical effects, like the utterly awesome fight in (IIRC) Episode 08 where Zero and Garo were fighting while plowing down a skyscraper, or later in the show when they were again in armored form, duelling while bouncing from tree to tree. Or when Zero casually threw his double-blade while leaping from the catwalk to the floor, to knock the Horror out of the air. Or a great deal of the climactic fight, which was freaking Advent Children "I parry the BUILDING" kind of stuff (and which really impressed me about Kouga, since he spent almost the entire fight unarmored).

True, had they tried to do a lot of that practically, it might've looked very weird. The CG was more of a "whoa, that's more CG than I'm used to seeing" but I got over it. The skyscraper fight was probably my most favorite one, even though the giant wheel of doom was fun too. The skyscraper one exhibited their personalities (which is why I liked it).

I should note that I watched this series before I saw any of Sh15uya (and I'm only a few episodes into that), so I've had rather a different experience in appreciating Mark Musashi. ("OMFG he talks!")

LOL. I actually never finished Sh15uya, but I should. I think in a way, that show is even more WTF than Garo is. I do remember watching enough to indeed discover, "OMFG he talks." LOL.:anime: Garo's still your good ol'e Knight in Shining Armor with Maiden in Distress fighting against the Forces of Evil story. (wow, talk about the puns...:laugh:)

Bolt

boogie woogie feng shui
MaraJade said:
Yup, I wasn't. It was just where's Keith's famous "I'm just sayin'" pic?

KeithJustSayin.gif

laudre

J-Caizer said:
Crap! :redface2:

Count yourself as quite the lucky duck, dude.

Believe me, I do.

Do you and your wife download the episodes are watch 'em on your computer or are you guys HK'ing it?

Download, so far, anyway. I haven't had the spare cash for even bootlegs as of yet (much of which I can thank the lovely people at USCIS for :p). I get most of it from TVN, though I've been watching the raws of Kabuto.

She usually watches over my shoulder (often while WoWing, a pastime I don't share -- I got my fill of MUDding back when it was free and just text), and if I watch an episode while she's not around, she'll ask me what's going on in the story.

I hope she finishes the art of the original Riders she's created soon, so I can share them (with her permission, of course). The pencils alone blew me away.

MaraJade said:
True, had they tried to do a lot of that practically, it might've looked very weird. The CG was more of a "whoa, that's more CG than I'm used to seeing" but I got over it. The skyscraper fight was probably my most favorite one, even though the giant wheel of doom was fun too. The skyscraper one exhibited their personalities (which is why I liked it).

I don't think the skyscraper fight would've worked at ALL in practical effects. If they'd tried it would've looked incredibly half-assed.

The fight in the trees would be theoretically possible, but how they'd have to do it -- quick shots of them jumping off of trees, meeting in mid-air, shot laboriously and edited together choppily -- wouldn't have had the dynamism that the CGI version did.

Hell, in the first episode, the long shot of him smashing into the floor, and the camera moving all around as the rubble rose and fell in bullet time -- that's my favorite kind of thing, because that's effectively IMPOSSIBLE with just practical effects. It doesn't have to be as elaborate as the skyscraper fight, just using CGI to do things that can't be done with practical effects works for me.

I asked before if Zero's horse had its own name as some people have been calling it "Gouten" as well. It seems that Zero's horse does indeed have it's own name. I've been checking around, saw a small scan from the Garo Visual Book on HLJ which had the name in big red kanji, and I just now checked the Japanese Wikipedia page (which thankfully had the name spelled out in kana). It is clear now that Zero's horse is actually named Ginga (Silver Fang)!

I'm both relieved and disappointed to learn this is the horse's name. Ginga was also the name Rei Suzumura gave up before calling himself Zero. Even then he was still called Ginga Kishi Zero (Silver Fang Knight Zero). It's nice to finally know.

dmario

i just watched the last ep last night

the HAVE TO continue this!!!

you guy scan nit pick all ya want i loved it.

ALL of it.

I originally stopped after ep 11 because I got bored of it and disliked most of the characters although I did always planned on completing the series. A couple of days ago I finally decided to watch from episode 12 and I still can't believe what a massive turnaround it was. It did a lot, and I mean A LOT, to put me on the path of liking Kouga and 14 did the same for Rei. From then onwards, each and every episode was awesome and the finale was one of the most satisfying endings I've seen in *any* TV series, toku or not.

My favourite episode would have to be.. 21 I think it was. The one with all the cool gun action and the revelation of what it's like to be a horror. The boss of the episode was the distraught father of a horror/Garo victim was well-handled too.

And I agree with the 'recent' comments about the action too. Even though the show used a lot of CGI, it usually (although not always) felt like there was a need for it.

Vigi-Kami

Now known as MythicFables
I'm up to ep 10 now. Oh Lordy do I ever hate clown monsters. ACH!
Oh well, the mime fight was cool.

Every ep this series just impresses me more with it's creativity. The costumes, the action, the framing and compositions of scenes... It's so very awesome.

Plus I'm digging that whole 'I'm Koga the badass' thing... not the 'I'm badass because the producers are trying really hard to make me badassed so they can sell toys that are just repaints of the leftover advent children cloud action figures' thing that I'm so used to when it comes to japanese media.

I really want to hurry up and watch the whole thing to get caught up with everyone else... but by the same token what I'm hearing from people is this series deserves to be savoured.

Mega Ranger

Figured I'd bump this up to the top. The Garo special airs today in Japan, And I'm sure TV-N will have it subbed within the next few days. So lets get this thread amoving once more.

Perfect! Seeing as how I'm currently watching GARO and loving every moment of it.I'll be sure to download that special when it's available, but I won't watch it until I finish the series, which'll be next Friday

Forever Knight

Eye See You
Watched ep 16-17. The Makai Knight Chees game was pretty cool, I got a feeling Kouga will return to the Priest before the final battle and defeat him.

Was that not Takizawa Naoto (TimeFire) in episode 17 with the nasty Fish Horror?.

Man, this show is fucking morbid. I like it.

Forever Knight

Eye See You
Kouga's battle in the Underworld against that giant mechanical Dragon for the fruit was just so damn epic. This series is just excellent.

Forever Knight

Eye See You
Each episode blows me away more and more. So Kaoru's Sensei ended up being Barago, I seriously didn't see this coming at all.

What in the hell is that Garo Ultimate Form called?.

I swear, there better be a Garo sequel coming out soon, this is just too damn awesome to have 1 series.

btw, without spoilers what did u guys think of Beast of the White Night?.

Sho-saka

It's actually good and ties up the loose ends very well. Though sadly, that means there's not going to be another series of GARO, depending on viewers' opinions on the ending.

Forever Knight

Eye See You
I finished up the series and all I'm going to say is HOLY FUCKING ****.

Without a doubt one of the best Toku shows I've seen since B-Fighter, Changeman, and Kamen Rider Black.

The Finale was so damn epic, it brings me back to the Saban PRiS-PRWF era where the endings were so dramatic, but this blows even those out of the water.

I'm guessing the ending of ep 25 is meant for the Beast of the White Night special/movie and not a 2nd series.

I'm gonna watch Gaiden and Beast tomorrow night before Prison Break and RAW, I'm curious to see this new Knight aswell.

I also check the time length of the Beast and it's 102 minutes long, WOW.

Now on Kickstarter

Latest News

Who's on Discord?

Latest posts