Shyni
Since I finished Makai Senki and had a lot of fun with the Dragon movie, I started watching the two non-Kouga seasons side-by-side. I'm at episode 4 of both so far.

The One Who Shines in the Darkness is really weird coming after Kouga's seasons and movies. The whole subplot with SG1 feels pretty unlike anything I've seen in the previous Garo stuff. I can't recall if the first two seasons even acknowledged the existence of non-Makai authority figures. And the setup with three knights and two priests as something resembling a formal team is pretty different from "Kouga, and sometimes other people help out when things get serious". I recall getting the impression that this season was disappointing for a lot of people. Maybe not feeling like the previous seasons was a factor.

Flower of Makai so far recalls the earlier stuff more. Specifically the first season, with the focus on each MOTW's shenanigans and some imagery like Raiga practicing with the big axes. And it's mainly Raiga rather than any sort of team. Plus Gonza is still around, somehow.

Rtkt7bW.jpg

I'd say one thing they have in common is that both leads are more obviously expressive than Kouga, though. But with Ryuga I'm finding it hard to believe someone like him got such a prestigious rank, considering that he makes himself look like a creepy serial killer immediately upon introduction, while Raiga manages to avoid causing so much suspicion.

You'll understand a little more of how Ryuga got to be Garo later on.

For what it's worth I liked both of them fine, I mean I get most of the problems people have with 'Shines' but I don't agree with most of them. I do know Amemiya wasn't involved in Shines as much because he was working on Shougeki Gouraigan at the time so maybe they felt whoever was working on it couldn't capture Garo's feel properly

I recall getting the impression that this season was disappointing for a lot of people. Maybe not feeling like the previous seasons was a factor.
As I recall a lot of people really hated the decision to make the knights' suits all CGI, especially as it seemed to result in the armour only being summoned when the knight wanted to deliver the finishing blow. Funnily enough 'Flower' not only returned to an actual suit but the fourth episode includes a line saying how physical effects will always trump CGI. :sweat:

I must admit my lasting memory of "Shines" is of the characters endlessly talking about the setup for the season-long story arc but never actually doing anything about it until right near the end. It's something that just really wound me up about the show, although it's sadly the standard season structure for Garo (such as how Makai Senki put a magic timebomb on Kouga in episode one but then didn't do anything about it until near the end).

"Flower" does manage to re-capture more of the 'feel' of the original series. There wasn't much enthusiasm for the show compared to previous seasons, but the comments I read made it clear that people were somewhat underwhelmed by the overarching story. Having said that I think "Flower" has some fantastic individual episodes. For example episode nine really is one of the creepiest tokusatsu episodes I've ever seen.
I'd say one thing they have in common is that both leads are more obviously expressive than Kouga, though.
If that's something you like then I suggest you check out the Garo anime at some point. For me one of it's best points is that the lead character actually has a full range of emotions and changes and grows as the story progresses.

Lurker
After finished both season, I still have desire to re-watch "Shine" but not happen to "Flower"
"Flower" does manage to resemble first season, heck I see Raiga as friendlier version of Kouga.

"Shine" have weak start compared to "Flower" but end with line of devastating episode.
Good point : Best out-suit action, when they have to fight or just moving around. Better use of surrounding location without need to resort to CGI location. Awesome twist.
Weak point : Worst in-suit action. This hurt much especially after watch awesome Makai Senki is. Weak Makai Knight. Lack of awesome magic from Makai Priest. No G****n.
I agree with TS, Ryuuga is unruly, rash and ill-mannered, something that really opposite of our noble Kouga. When I and my friend watch this season, it is really hard to love his character especially after two season, Garo image is really attached to Kouga. Added with heavy use of CGI armored battle make armor just appear for split second for every episode, and even though it appear for longer time it is not good either. But somehow every episode later, I grow to love this series. It is like combination of season 1 and 2, they save awesome twist and battle for later after viewer learn true character and motivation every cast. Turning point and charm of this series is when they learn how weak they are compared to their enemies, and I like how it change them.
If we talk about Garo Anime, Ryuuga description is really match to Leon. Young Makai Knight who really naive and cocky eaten by revenge and hatred.

For "Flower", I best describe it as remastered season 1.
Good point : Strongest Garo until now. Unique armor. Interesting horror episode.
Weak point : Rather plain for its story. Forced romance.
Everything is back to original Garo we watch at season 1. But with Hero and Heroine exchange their trait.
Raiga is friendlier, stronger both in mind and physical, and have more variable fighting-style than his father.
My explanation is shorter because it is like watching season 1 all over again but with stronger one for every cast minus weak ending. It should be good thing to resemble original but somehow it did not impress me at all.

D

Dr Kain

I'd say stop, honestly. Both series are quite bad, each for different reasons. If you do proceed, I hope they do not ruin your taste for Garo as they have done for me.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Everything is back to original Garo we watch at season 1. But with Hero and Heroine exchange their trait.

Can Kaoru really be considered a heroine when she doesn't fight in any way and her primary role is emotional support to Kouga? (I'm not saying that she is a bad character. IMO, a hero or heroine is a character who fights and/or contributes something of their own to the battle, such as technical knowledge or medical skills. Emotional support doesn't count, as it is expected of the hero's friends, particularly the leading lady.)

I think both Shine and Flower suffer from forced romance. Rian is like a less well done Jabi; she basically believes that she needs to be in love with Ryuga in order to be a "real" woman or a rounded person. Mayuri is basically the same as Koyomi in Kamen Rider Wizard. She gets more screen time and more to do, yet the show still doesn't bother to show why we're supposed to be invested in her other than "because she's important to the hero!" I would agree that Flower is closer to the "feel" of the first two series, but lacks the same level of passion and feels like a bit of a re-tread. I don't see why it has to be taken for granted that the hero must be in a relationship with the female lead anyway. I like Kouga and Kaoru, but their story has been done.

A problem that a lot of people seem to have with Shine is not liking the supporting cast, but now that
Burai and Enhou are dead, and Takeru and Aguri aren't returning for Gold Storm
I don't think it should put anyone off watching if they plan to continue through to Gold Storm.

Shyni
I'm mostly watching these for something visually different than what I usually get from super hero toku (and in the case of Shines, different than Garo in general). Although I doubt anything in these seasons will top the Dragon movie and things like the bunny bike:

wm4vJ5j.jpg

At this point I'm having a hard time seeing Rian as a love interest for Ryuga, so I'm gonna assume you'll be proven right. Although basically none of the cast act like they could be romantically involved with one another.

Despite how unimpressive he is, Ryuga might be the most likeable of the Shine cast so far. Aguri is just unpleasant while GokaiSilver makes me question how he got to be a knight at all.

Funnily enough 'Flower' not only returned to an actual suit but the fourth episode includes a line saying how physical effects will always trump CGI. :sweat:

Yeah, that was a fun episode.

GokaiSilver makes me question how he got to be a knight at all.

Given that in almost every episode he keeps having sex with random people, I should think the answer to that question would be obvious

^ How does being a degenerate help him attain knighthood?

In fact, who would want to sleep with that guy? >.>

^ How does being a degenerate help him attain knighthood?

In fact, who would want to sleep with that guy? >.>

I was joking about him using the Makai "casting couch" to get ahead ...

Quite a few people want to sleep with him, sometimes multiple people in one episode :)