76029l.jpg

The Garo franchise continues to march onwards, and hot on the heels of the 5th live action show comes the franchise's second animated entry, 'Guren no Tsuki' or 'Crimson Moon'. This series is not connected to the previous anime series or any of the live action entries, so if you are interested but not fully up to date with all the Garo shows don't let that stop you diving in.

The main character appears to be a female Makai Priest (or Makai Alchemist if you prefer Funimation's translation) called Seimei. As of the first episode, it looks like she might get the lion's share of the spectacle as well, as for mysterious reasons the show's golden knight appears to be unable to transform (or even talk to Zaruba) on his own; Instead requiring her to cast a spell to allow him to summon his armour, which appears to cause him some degree of pain.

I can't wait! I'm so glad Garo is successful enough to have a 2nd anime, and I'm pumped about this one taking place in Japan!

Lurker
so much batter than watching Gold Storm, god, what a relief

it's also more amusing than Honoo no Kokuin too at least when comparing both anime's EP1

Lurker
Watched the first episode and... meh.

I couldn't tell if it was rushed or padded. Mainly because certain elements and "set ups" felt either underdeveloped or unnecessary depending on how important they were at the time of plot's conception. They were either absolutely necessary and ended up being underbaked and unnecessary, thus rushed... or they were just filler, and thus, padding...

so much batter than watching Gold Storm, god, what a relief

it's also more amusing than Honoo no Kokuin too at least when comparing both anime's EP1

So much delicious batter. Corndogs. Elephant Ears. Waffles...

I just finished watching episode two and tbh I'm still not sure what to make of the show. I don't think it has as high a budget as the previous Garo anime, and there are some "shounen-y" elements creeping in. There's a few good ideas, but it's not the most compelling viewing. Sadly I don't predict this series will get that much attention either. It's a hero vs MotW series with a JAM Project opening theme, but the title card doesn't say "One Punch Man".

Tbh I'm not sure how much my opinion is being affected by knowing that the head writers are Toshiki Inoue (!!!) and Sho Aikawa, who are both, well, shall we say a little 'inconsistant'?

Last edited:
I just finished watching episode two and tbh I'm still not sure what to make of the show. I don't think it has as high a budget as the previous Garo anime, and there are some "shounen-y" elements creeping in. There's a few good ideas, but it's not the most compelling viewing. Sadly I don't predict this series will get that much attention either. It's a hero vs MotW series with a JAM Project opening theme, but the title card doesn't say "One Punch Man".

Tbh I'm not sure how much my opinion is being affected by knowing that the head writers are Toshiki Inoue (!!!) and Sho Aikawa, who are both, well, shall we say a little 'inconsistant'?

I've not seen any real examples of "Bad" Inoue writing, or at least none of the particularly infamous ones (although I will be watching Kamen Rider Faiz soonish). I was willing to give the guy a break on this because his previous foray into Garo (The poker episode of Makai Senki) was pretty good. I liked Jetman and Agito. Hell, I even quite liked Shougeki Gouraigan.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but it bears repeating here, because it still reflects my thoughts on it: This feels like someone else trying to "do" Garo and not quite getting it right, and resulting in some not-very-good anime to boot. I'm also not sure about the whole thing of Raiko's powers apparently being "sealed" - I feel like the concept of Garo's abilities being weakened in some way, or a "lesser" Garo was explored thoroughly enough with Ryuga and even with Leon. Seimei, as far as female Makai Priests go, just isn't wowing me in the way Jabi, Rekka or even Rian did either.

I wish that this and Honoo no Kokuin weren't some people's first exposure to Garo, because neither quite got it right, this less than Honoo no Kokuin.

My dream Garo anime though is a 80s/90s period piece about a younger Taiga though, and I know I'm never getting that.