Back in Black
Hello. As many of you may know by now, Galaxy Express 999 is being released on DVD by S'more Entertainment.

If you did not know, then now you do know. Pre-orders are open on Amazon now for the first two parts.

I think that this is one of the coolest things to happen with anime distribution. We finally are getting the series on DVD.

News:

S'more Entertainment is releasing the complete series in 4-disc parts. The first part was pushed back to November 20 and the second part recently was pushed by a very large amount of time to April 23, 2013 with the original date listed in December 2012.

S'more Entertainment also is asking for input regarding the covers! Check their facebook page for more information: http://www.facebook.com/smoreent

This is awesome. Which companies do that?

From the facebook page, we see that approval from Toei is what is pushing back the dates.

Last edited:
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never ending journey... A journey to the stars! :thumbs:

It's over 8,000!
Galaxy Express 999 is getting released now?

:castlerock:

Back in Black
You posted something like a second after me.

It finally is happening. I also read that there is some kind of poll for the next undecided artworks.

Edit: Added some more news. :)

To be honest, despite liking a few of the songs, I never really liked the show or understood the appeal. I know it sounds weird from a guy who likes Super Sentai, a number of anime, and many other things just as weird, but when I see a train flying through space, something about it just turns me off. It doesn't even resemble some kind of space craft in train shape; it's an Earth-based train with steam engine, smoke stack, and everything! Is it magic? Is it one big Miyazaki-style fantasy? I don't get it!

But I recognize how big and iconic this anime is, and I'm glad it's getting the release it deserves.

Back in Black
It always is the trains in space for people... even though they overlook other things which they watch.

It's an atomic boiler (that I know), but I do overlook the smoke/steam coming from the train. Matsumoto has his own style with putting trains in space. It's very creative fantasy. He's fascinated with trains and space and the trains actually serve as an extended metaphor for life.

People should really be thinking "There is a train in space. There must be some kind of reason behind it." but most people think "There are no trains in space!" so I think that's the main problem with people getting into the series.

Galaxy Express 999 actually is not my favorite work from him, but it does pave the way for The Galaxy Railways. If you have trouble getting into Galaxy Express 999, then I suggest The Galaxy Railways. It is a compressed and refined work. To me, it looks like his other work was in preparation for that masterpiece.

I may not be the greatest fan myself, but I also am very glad about this. It was long overdue.

Back in Black
UPDATE:

The release date now got moved so we will get it sooner.

NEW RELEASE DATE: November 19, 2012.

It's over 8,000!
That's cool. It's not much of a difference. What was the date before November 20?