The new Gavan movies are V-Cinema releases though, and Sentai summer movies are very short and promoted as a sort of bonus to the Rider movie. Plus nothing like Kikaider/Gavan was released last year, and since Kamen Rider is the bigger franchise (and Gaim is doing really well in terms of toy sales) it makes more sense to piggyback off it than Sentai

They still could use the tv show to promote the V Cinema though, I don't see why that's relevant. Last year didn't have Kikaider or Gavan, but it still had Super Hero Taisen Z and the Wizard summer movie. Neither got tv tie in episodes, but this years' equivalent had those (Kamen Rider Taisen and Gaim summer movie). It's not Toei, it's Takebe.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
They still could use the tv show to promote the V Cinema though, I don't see why that's relevant. Last year didn't have Kikaider or Gavan, but it still had Super Hero Taisen Z and the Wizard summer movie. Neither got tv tie in episodes, but this years' equivalent had those (Kamen Rider Taisen and Gaim summer movie). It's not Toei, it's Takebe.

It's relevant because a V-Cinema is "direct to video", it's not as big an event as a theatrical release (which Toei doesn't seem to have been prepared to risk after the poor performance of the Gavan revival movie.) Three tie-in episodes in one year suggests cashing in on the success of Gaim's toyline and/or part of Toei's efforts to more heavily promote the movies over the last few years.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
Gaim is no more darker than any other pre-Den-O rider series. Obviously Gaim screwed up the monsters of the week, but maybe Drive will fix that.

It's relevant because a V-Cinema is "direct to video", it's not as big an event as a theatrical release (which Toei doesn't seem to have been prepared to risk after the poor performance of the Gavan revival movie.) Three tie-in episodes in one year suggests cashing in on the success of Gaim's toyline and/or part of Toei's efforts to more heavily promote the movies over the last few years.

Three tie ins in one year after one year without tie ins and one year that had one tie in. The element connecting the current year to two years ago, that was absent last year, is Takebe.

Why would the success of the toyline matter if their intention was promotion movies through tv episodes? Their main goal would be ratings there, since more people watching the series would mean more people seeing their promotion. Higher toy sales wouldn't have any place there.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Three tie ins in one year after one year without tie ins and one year that had one tie in. The element connecting the current year to two years ago, that was absent last year, is Takebe.
Y
Why would the success of the toyline matter if their intention was promotion movies through tv episodes? Their main goal would be ratings there, since more people watching the series would mean more people seeing their promotion. Higher toy sales wouldn't have any place there.

Since none of Toei's shows are currently getting high ratings, toy sales at least indicate some level of impact (and of course movies sell toys.) If Toei had released the Gavan movie last year I bet they'd have made Kyoryuger have the crossover episode

Takebe had nothing to do with Gokaiger, but we still got the Gokaiger Vs Gavan movie. If producers have to agree to crossover episodes, that means Utsunomiya agreed to have one for ToQger. I am sure we'll be seeing a lot more of them in the future;

Gaim is no more darker than any other pre-Den-O rider series. Obviously Gaim screwed up the monsters of the week, but maybe Drive will fix that.

Absolutely, Gaim got MOTW perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Anyway, no one's saying Gaim is darker than older Heisei series, people are praising it as a RETURN to those times. Although, the scale certainly went up, I don't think any other series had it this bad in it's last parts. I mean, how many series had society collapse for it's last quarter?

If Toei had released the Gavan movie last year I bet they'd have made Kyoryuger have the crossover episode~

I really don't think so.

Consider how OOO Wonderful had the Abarenbo Shogun actor and character as a guest, and now that Takebe was headlining another Rider movie, we got some soccer player guests. This trend of gimmicks to make movies stand out seems to be something heavily tied to Takebe. I really think it's tied to her, and not Toei in general.

Takebe had nothing to do with Gokaiger, but we still got the Gokaiger Vs Gavan movie.
So...? That movie didn't have a tie in tv episode or anything. It also had nothing to do with the New Gavan that we got afterwards.

If producers have to agree to crossover episodes, that means Utsunomiya agreed to have one for ToQger. I am sure we'll be seeing a lot more of them in the future;
He'd have to agree to it, yes, but he wouldn't have to be the main person pushing for its production. That's where I believe Takebe fits.

I guess we'll know soon this winter, right? There's no reason the next Movie Wars won't have a tie in episode if this really is a general trend from Toei, and not something specific to Takebe.

Last edited:
Except it did not now explain your reasoning.

It got rid of it.

Seriously, when has anyone EVER been excited for another MOTW episode? Why waste time with random mooks that NO ONE cares about, when you could better spend it on, I don't know, your ACTUAL villains? And that's before we get into the fact that the very concept of MOTW makes our villains inherently incompetent. You tend to stop thinking of people as a real threat when they continuously fail, week after week, with no real gains whatsoever. It doesn't make your hero look stronger, it just makes the villains look weaker.

MOTW is NOT an asset that wants me take it remotely seriously. Save it for the comedy hour, where my villains can be complete idiots and I don't care. But when you want a dramatic story? MOTW is only hurting you.