"Shocker Gundan, Banzai!"
Launching a series of movies based on the SHOGUN WARRIORS in cooperation with Toei! Read all about it on AICN:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44426

HD Teaser/test footage:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS6E-Nu3xsg[/ame]

Nice post!!
What the screaming blue hell. "Hollywood is making a live-action Gaiking under the old Shogun Warriors license" is about the last thing I expected to see today.

I never thought I'd live in a world where Alex Ross was going to draw Gaiking. I really didn't.

Last edited:
二番目の翻訳者
I never thought I'd live in a world where Hollywood would make a Super Robot movie I could actually be excited about.

But Gaiking? Gaiking, standin' out there, lookin' like Gaiking? The only thing that could possibly make this more awesome would be a CGI Daiku Maryu in all his die-cast glory.

(And Pete.)

Everywhere You Go
The only things I'm disappointed about are Gaiking not being in its original colours (silver, what the hell?) and the pilot being some random female. I was hoping the pilot will be an adapation of Sanshiro Tsuwabuki, but instead, we get a character that isn't familiar at all! That makes me lose hope that the characters won't be exacly the same, seeing as the pilot won't be a baseball player. But then again, this is test footage, right? So that should mean that all this footage and hopefully the character aren't final, because I really want Gaiking to be in its original colours and the pilot to be similar to its anime counterpart. Otherwise, I won't see how the story is going to be the same. On the bright side, I can't wait for some awesome mecha action!

There's also a Captian Harlock movie being made with the same technology, right?:D

EDIT: Nevermind, I read the whole article. This is definately not final. Phew.:D

Last edited:
二番目の翻訳者
Yeah, sadly it's based on the Shogun Warriors toy line instead of the show proper, so they may or may not adapt from the story of the show.

Personally I think Gaiking would be one of the easier super robot stories to adapt over. It already does the "cast of characters from all different nations" thing that Hollywood likes so much, anyway. And a baseball player who's down on his luck would be a pretty appealing main character for Americans, too (you could even keep him Japanese, thanks to the popularity of Ichiro).

Gaiking's villains aren't very memorable, so you could change them and I wouldn't mind.

I don't think this is meant to be an adaptation of the original show. Even the 2006 series had a new story with only a few homages to the original, this probably will follow suit. A few names might stay, but everything else will be different.

As for... Shogun Warriors... Really, at this point, it clearly has nothing to do with THAT, aside from name silly brand recognition. The Shogun Warriors that I've seen had AI robots, they weren't the piloted robots from the original Japanese shows.

Mad Skillz
Personally I think Gaiking would be one of the easier super robot stories to adapt over. It already does the "cast of characters from all different nations" thing that Hollywood likes so much, anyway.
Bwa, I've always thought Hollywood was more anglo centered than anything else.

二番目の翻訳者
Bwa, I've always thought Hollywood was more anglo centered than anything else.

They are, in the sense that the main character needs to be white. But it's totally okay to surround your white main character hero with an ethnically diverse cast.

(Letting Sanshiro stay Japanese is mostly wishful thinking on my part, but I do think the popularity of Japanese baseball players in America makes it slightly more plausible than it would be otherwise.)