The man who made the big decision to transform Nintendo from a card making company into what would eventually become arguably the single most iconic name in video games has died of pneumonia at age 85.

Rob Crossley, associate editor of Computer and Video Games magazine, told the BBC: "You cannot overestimate the influence the man had on the games industry."

"He spearheaded Nintendo as they moved into the arcade business, with hits such as Donkey Kong.

"This man was the president of Nintendo during the NES, the SNES, the N64 and the Gamecube - the first two were transformative pieces of electronic entertainment."

Thanks for everything, Mr. Yamauchi.

Another Climax
RIP Mr. Yamauchi.

I honestly didn't know him outside of seeing his name appear a few times on credits until around the N64 era when I dived head first into game industry news and found he was sort of a jerk. But after being exposed to his history and the risks that he took that I don't see the modern Nintendo leadership having the stones to take, along with the collection of talented people he had working under him, I realize the man was truly a visionary.

My life is richer for the influence he and his risky ventures to expand his grandfather's playing card making business provided.