Five New Movies Coming To Crunchyroll In November

Staff member
Crunchyroll plans to premiere five anime movies this month — three on November 17 and two more the following week, for a Thanksgiving feast of five in total. They range from apocalyptic thrillers (King of Thorn) to the light adventure Laid-Back Camp, with the controversial (to say the least) Sword Art Online debuting its latest movie in the middle.
The following films will be available November 17:
King of Thorn (Sunrise)
Panic spreads worldwide as the Medousa Virus threatens to wipe out the human race. Kasumi is one of 160 people chosen to be cryogenically frozen while a cure is found. When she awakens to find the facility overrun with thorny vines and ravenous monsters, Kasumi and six others struggle to survive this labyrinthine nightmare. If they survive, how long do they have to live? Directed by Kazuyoshi Katayama.

Origin: Spirits of the Past (Gonzo)
Long ago, the Forest was awakened and the Moon unleashed a ravenous Beast upon the Earth. Centuries later, as humanity struggle...

Continue reading...

All in all, King of Thorn has a stunning concept and beautiful visual presentation. That defied convention and quickly established a standard in the anime industry. In spite of my enthusiasm for the film, I believe a television adaptation of the manga would do the source material justice. It would be a shame to restrict this story to just one medium when there is so much room for development within its structure. In order to work with the runtime, a lot of code has to be changed or taken out entirely. Everything from the monsters to the backstories, motivations, and deaths of the characters to the exciting climax is fresh and original in this thrilling new adventure. Even though I appreciate the reasoning for the film's dramatic departures from the manga, I can't help but feel cheated by the end result. I have no qualms about suggesting this film to others, though I do stress the importance of reading the manga first. Since they are so different, it's fascinating to draw parallels between the two situations.

The King of Thorn was the most mind-boggling film I've ever watched. After giving it my undivided attention, I was able to grasp its meaning.

As a college kid, I remember watching Origin: Spirits of the Past and loving it so much; the music is still fantastic to this day.