Finding Empathy In Monsters: A Fan Conversation With Director Lucky McKee about OLD MAN

Lucky McKee has been one of the largely unsung heroes of horror cinema, for around 2 decades now. From his debut feature, “May” to his more recent work, “Old Man”, McKee has proven himself time and time again as one of the best filmmakers today at making truly interesting character pieces.
With “Old Man”, McKee takes on a film that feels more akin to experimental theater than most films ever attempt. Taking place almost completely in a single location with only two major characters, “Old Man” seems like a film that would be extremely difficult to make work as a full-length feature. However, thanks to the efforts of McKee and his two leads, Marc Senter (who also co-produces) and Stephen Lang– not only does it work as a full-length feature, “Old Man” is an incredibly compelling piece of cinema. At times very funny, sometimes touching, but consistently it’s a tense and suspenseful film. It’s impossible to dive too deep into it without risking spoiling the whole movie. This story of a...

Continue reading...

What does the Fox say?
Staff member
It's cool that people have great imaginations and they can "imagine" empathizing with a monster. I get why it's called "experimental theater", but frankly, I don't like this kind of experiment. You are right that the guy is an unsung hero. I've never heard of him!

I like this sort of "experimental theater" and like to appreciate the efforts of the whole crew and the producers because I feel bored with the same subjects always on the lookout for new things, and new ways to entertain so kudos to McKee, Marc Senter and Stephen Lang for incredible work.

If I'm to write on who is better between Stephen and Marc then I might end up writing an epistle.lol.

It takes a great deal of commitment to get a movie to stand out.