Final Fantasy V had been translated in English Twice. So the characters had been renamed twice since their names got translated from the Japanese version. What names do you prefer for the V cast?

giphy.gif

10-009.gif

In Some versions, Bartz is named Butz.
Kara is named Krile
and Lenna is named Reina.

Faris and Galuf are the only ones who got their names intact.

I prefer the name Bartz over Butz because c'mon who would take someone seriously if their name sounded like Butz.

Reina means Queen and She is a Princess. So Princess Queen sounds cringy so I prefer the name Lenna for her.

Krile is more exotic sounding than Kara. So I prefer the name Krile for Kara.

I actually prefer the second translation. Since I played the version where Bartz was Butz, Kara is Krile and Lenna is Reina, I pretty much don't find the previous names interesting. I am curious though, why was it translated twice?

I think the first translation is unofficial while the second translation is official. That's is what I remember.

Administrator
Staff member
I think right now Bartz official name is Bartz because that is his name in Dissidia. If V will have a remake I wonder what names will they use for the release.

I agree with not wanting to go around calling him Butz. It just kind of lessens the appeal of the game for that minor time, for whatever reason.

I've seen various names like,

Bartz
Butz
Buttz
Batz
Bats
Butts

Official names are in Japanese. I think the closest to the spelling and pronunciation is "Batsu."

Sometimes I keep asking myself why are these characters named twice? Is that one name isn't enough or are they trying to give it more coverage in terms of other parts of the world where these games are played? I think they should stick to one general name and maintain it.

OMG, I am so happy that Bartz became his official name in the end. He is a Bisexual guy and being named Butts is kind of a double meaning.

Sometimes I keep asking myself why are these characters named twice? Is that one name isn't enough or are they trying to give it more coverage in terms of other parts of the world where these games are played? I think they should stick to one general name and maintain it.
They are translated by different companies I think, and some of them are just like fan translations.

They are translated by different companies I think, and some of them are just like fan translations.

I see, that might be one good pattern at which how their names are given because some fans would like to give them a special name that they are more in love it.