Lurker
Say what some will about the state of animation in the 1970's, but Flash Gordon was proof that something decent came out of it, and from the recycled animation capital of the world none the less, Filmation, also responsible for He-Man and She-Ra, their more well known successes.

Whilst this series received a large boost in the late 1980's courtesy of it's release on Home Video, it's remained basically untouched and unrefined until this release, digitally remastered and carrying with it the rare second season consisting of eleven minute self-contained episodes with absolutley nothing good about them, this series is better purchased for it's excellent first season, which stayed true to the comic strip adventures of Godron, it has tremendous animation, some shots which would later be rehashed for He-Man and She-Ra, epic cliffhangers, and a thrilling finale. It's too bad the show's mostly obscure, but then a lot of Filmation's early work is and is only now being graced with DVD releases.

Also included are documentaries on the Flash Gordon newspaper strips, the character, and the first episode of the classic "Defenders of the Earth" series, in which Ming kills Dale and flees to Earth after his palace is destroyed by Flash and his newly assembled Defenders, this opener is one of the serie's strongest offerings, and of course it has a theme song that is all but IMMORTAL.

Here's hoping Defenders of the Earth gets a Region One DVD release in it's entirty.

By the Power of Gaia!!!
I can't even say how glad I am this finally got a DVD release. But I confess, I always thought Princess Aura was a little too hot to be in a kids cartoon.:anime:

princess_aura00.jpg

Lurker
Let's just hope they never release the 1996 Flash Gordon cartoon...

flashgordon.jpg

Oh LORD...

Seems like every Filmation cartoon under the sun is coming to DVD

Wonder how long until we see their live-action shows like Shazam! and Isis come to DVD?