Favourite and Least Favourite Super Sentai Vesus Movie

With Toqger vs Kyouryuger on its way, it's time we look back and decide which is our favourite and least favourite super sentai versus movie.

Would like to change his avatar
Favorite: Megaranger VS Carranger. It was the first thing I saw of Carranger and I immediately loved those guys. It's one of the best melding of casts, with a plot that compliments both shows and captures the spirit of each. But I like Carranger VS Ohranger a lot, too, so...ah, it's difficult to answer. I think Car VS Oh is funnier and more entertaining, but Mega VS Car was better made.

Least favorite: Boukenger VS Super Sentai. Lackluster, boring, weak. There's some other lousy versus movies -- like Deka VS Abare -- but they'd have at least ONE thing going for it. I can't think of anything good about Boukenger VS Super Sentai. (I didn't like Aka Red until Gokaiger, so not even he can save the movie.)

Last edited:
Favourite: GoGoFive VS Timeranger. two Sentai series with the most innovative mecha sequences of all time and I saw this way before their respective series, which were even more superb.

Least Favourite: just like Shougo, I also didn't like Boukenger VS Super Sentai but since he's already mentioned it... I'm gonna say Gobusters VS Kyoryuger. mainly because I don't like both teams and the dinosaur Sentai team-up thrown in was so pointless.

Favorite: Gokaiger Goseiger Super Sentai 199 Hero Great Battle and Goseiger vs Shinkenger. I liked the interactions the 2 teams had with one not being overly important than the other, the cast meshed well together, I liked the action scenes, and I liked how the appearance of the Gokaigers in Goseiger vs Shinkenger was explained in the Timeranger tribute episode.

Least favorite: Go-Busters vs Gokaiger. So much wasted potential on this movie. There wasn't much interactions between the 2 teams outside of Gai and Yoko and Marvelous and Hirmou, the Gokaigers literally became afterthoughts once the drama between those damn Buddyroids happened and the only thing that stuck out within the Gokaigers was the bad wigs that the actors for Don and Luka wore. Basco should've been the main villain along with Enter who was brought back to life since they both are egotistical douche bags and I would've loved to see them work together.

I've noticed in Vs films which the current team and show is head written by Kobayashi that the returning team are pretty much there and folks cried foul about the treatment that the Go-Busters got in the Vs film with the Kyoryugers when they committed the biggest offense in their vs film with the Gokaigers.

Last edited:
I really hate to use labels like "favorite". Anyone who knows me can attest to that.

In general, I just like any VS special that has good chemistry between the characters and gives us pretty much everything we wanted to see. Magi VS Deka is my go-to example for this. We got to see the two swordsmen facing off (Deka Master and Wolzard), the main 6 were very similar to each other in so many ways, and the two red screamers of Sentai at the time pretty much had a face off to see who can be more annoying and immature. During the slow moments, where our stars just talk to each other, you could honestly feel some real bonding going on. And even in the fight scenes, there might be moments where they are playing off each other in the best way possible.

When the two teams in question are too dissimilar, the chemistry usually comes off as forced, and then the special becomes all too easy to nitpick and pick apart. The hardest ones to do, especially these days, are the VS Super Sentai specials. GaoRanger and Gokaiger did different things and they all came off great for what they did, but Boukenger's was the worst. To be fair, they tried to do a few things right. They tried to give us a slimmed down version since, let's face it, the older tokusatsu actors aren't getting any younger. They even tried to give us some character interaction and chemistry, but it was all too short lived and very forced (almost to point where characters seemed a little out of character).

It's great when the two teams actually fight each other for a little bit, and we all know they are going to team up against the bigger threat in the end, but I really think the chemistry and those character interactions are the most important thing that needs to be there in ANY regular VS special.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I've noticed in Vs films which the current team and show is head written by Kobayashi that the returning team are pretty much there and folks cried foul about the treatment that the Go-Busters got in the Vs film with the Kyoryugers when they committed the biggest offense in their vs film with the Gokaigers.

Absolutely this, people were so hypocritical about that. The biggest offender as Kobayashi goes though had to be Shinkenger Vs Go-onger where the Go-ongers didn't even get as far as "afterthought."

Gekiranger VS Boukenger remains my favorite after all these years later. The special served as a solid epilogue for Boukenger, the teams got plenty of time to really interact with each other, plus BoukenPink being the big bad for a while was an awesome twist.

For my least favorite, I'll have to probably go with Goseiger VS Shinkenger. In a desperate attempt to make the bland Goseigers actually seem likable, the writer and director of this special I guess felt that they needed to make the Shinkengers (except Takeru and Kotoha) complete assholes in order to make the Goseigers look good.